GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 04:58:39 +0100
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issues

Issue No. 82/05, 20-23 October, 2005

Editorial

WHERE IS THE EX SOS FOR THE INTERIOR?

"Arbitrary Arrests And Detention Should Stop"

When President Jammeh started referring to the Central Prisons at Mile 2 as a hotel for those who have fallen out with him, no one would have believed that the regime will make it customary to ensure the arrest and detention of people at Mile Two Prisons without trial or court order. It is common knowledge that seating National Assembly Members like Kawsu Gibba, Ex Inspector General of Police like 13 Badjie, Ex Chiefs and Director Generals of NIA have all been subjected to detention without trial. Now we have reliably learnt that a prominent security chief during the Jawara and Jammeh era and an ex SoS for the Interior, Mr. Samba Bah has disappeared from his home for days now. Nothing is more dangerous for a nation than to antagonize people who have accumulated many national secrets. Many foreign governments will pay very heavy sums to have such people at their command. It is amazing that even though Gambia has at its head a person who has been groomed in security matters, he seems
 to be oblivious to the security implications of antagonizing people who have been custodians of national security. Even a new government must handle such people with respect and care not to mention a government that had made them its primary policy makers. Democracy is designed to enable the chief executive not to personalize the management of the affairs of a country. This is why the dispensation of justice is left to the courts. No senior person is above the law. It is therefore necessary for the due process of law to be adhered to. When a person is considered to have committed a crime, he/she should be arrested, charged and taken before a court. Arbitrary arrests and detention should stop. If it is so easy to do this with prominent personalities what about those who are not so prominent. In Upper Saloum such a tactic was the order of the day. This practice should stop and all the Ambassadors who are now keeping quiet should speak against this practice. The executive should not be
 allowed to usurp the courts and send people to prison without trial. The Gambian people should also show their disapproval by giving support to change.

PUBLIC HEARINGS ON AUDITOR GENERAL’S REPORT.

The Public Accounts Committee of the National Assembly, has the duty to scrutinize the report of the auditor general that is tabled before members for debate. This year, for the first time in the history of the Gambia the committee has introduced public hearings. This means calling public officers as witness against who the report has made quaries.

This year, following the submission of the public accounts of the state from 1991-1999, the first witness to be called is the former Accountant general, Margaret Keita, to answer for the period from 1996- 31st December 2004 and SOS finance to answer for the period March- April 2005.When the Sitting.

The first item to be debated was who was the chief witness. The committee hold the former accountant general and former SOS, as responsible according to law and procedure. However, Mrs. Keita claimed that she cannot be the chief witness and made the following statement:

Thank you for your letters reference ME 28/91/01/C92) dated 29th September 2005, in which I was summoned to attend the Finance and Public Accounts Committee hearing on the Auditor General’s report as chief witness, and for your letter reference ME 28/91/0 l/C100) dated l0th October 2005, subsequent to our discussions.

I wish however to register the fact that the chief witness for the hearing should be the present Permanent Secretary, Department of State for Finance, who should be supported by his staff at the Treasury Directorate. This I state for the following reasons:

(i) The Accountants General Department was abolished by the Budget Management and Accountability Act passed by the National Assembly which came into effect on 1st January 2005. As at that date the role and responsibilities of the Accountant General devolved to the Permanent Secretary, Department of State for Finance. Due to the abolition of the post of Accountant General which I held, I requested retirement on the grounds of abolition of office, as provided for in the Pensions Act, to coincide with the date the abolition came into effect. I also requested to be allowed to consume my outstanding earned leave. Both requests were approved.

By Law therefore, the incumbent to the post of Accountant General is the Permanent Secretary Finance on whom the duties and responsibilities of the Accountant General now resides.

(ii) In my capacity as Accountant General, I had sent DRAFT Financial Statements to the Auditor General in May and September 2001. However up to my departure on 31st December 2004, a period of over 3 years, I did not have the opportunity to finalise the accounts of any of the years because the Auditor General had not given his reaction to these draft’s I expected changes to the draft, (as some figures were derived from the best alternative sources of evidence available, due to the loss of records and to which the Auditor General had the right to object to). However I have absolutely no knowledge of the adjustments made to the draft accounts or the rationale for

such adjustments.

The draft Accounts I submitted were a work in progress. The officer responsible for the finalised Financial Statements is required to take due care to ensure that the accounts are adjusted to take account of the views of the Auditor General on the Draft, or to state reasons why in his views such adjustments are not appropriate.

(iii) Additional evidence of the above is provided by the fact that the Management letter of the Auditor General was not addressed to the Accountant General as the office of the Accountant General was defunct at the time, neither were its details shared with me by the Treasury Directorate before replies were issued.

(iv) The Final Accounts were not signed off by me nor was the traditional

"Report of the Accountant General on the Financial Statements" written by me. The accounts were in fact signed off by the Acting

Director of Treasury, who also issued a "forward to the Financial Statements", I presume on behalf of the Permanent Secretary DOS for Finance.

I however acknowledge and appreciate the fact that as a previous holder of the post of Accountant General (from 1996 to 2004), the Public Accounts Committee would require information and explanations from me, to assist in

Their deliberations, as a witness, but not in the capacity of the chief witness. The chief witness is the incumbent who incidentally also issued the Financial Statements, through his delegate the Acting Treasury Director. I am happy to give the information and explanations below, to provide a written record, and would be available in person during the hearing to provide additional information when required.

This brought the PAC to the point of a short recess. Then on resumption, the Speaker, Sheriff Dibba, who is the Chairman of the committee, announced the name of Ms. Margaret Keita as the chief witness on the grounds that she was the accountant general for the period covered by the report and she was also SOS finance when management’s letter was written. The former Accountant General noted that she will continue to assist the PAC with what ever evidence they need but that she could not be chief witness she however acknowledged that it is left to the committee to call her what ever they deem fit.

The PAC then went into the sitting proper.

UNCOLLECTED GARBAGES:

KMC DECRY INSUFFICIENT RESOURCES

As heaps of uncollected garbages continue to fitter Serrekunda and its surrounding, the Kanifing Municipal Council has informed Foroyaa that they have insufficient resources to curtail the problem.

The Municipality made this statement when a private contractor was hired on Tuesday to clear the mountain of garbage at the Serrekunda Sandika Market.

Speaking to this reporter, the public Relation officer of the KMC Kalifa Sanyang said: "KMC is not having enough vehicles in town to do the collection. This is why we resort to hiring private vehicles to do the work."

However, the PRO declined to commence on why it is taking his Municipality a long duration to clear the heaps of rubbish that besieged the Municipality.

Vendors and residents at the Sandika area expressed dissatisfaction over the deliance that is involved in the process. "The conditions at the Market is getting worse every day. It seems the KMC has forgotten the area. The place is very unhealthy." A woman vendor said.

A vendor, sally indicated that the flies that the garbage at the site is harbouring flies which are likely to contaminate the food stuffs. Alieu, who is living by the Sandika voiced that the worsening condition of the garbage has made life miserable for most of the residents.

"We are uncomfortable with this thing. We have no means of cleaning the place. KMC are the people who should do this work." Alieu concluded.

BORDER STAND-OFF CONTINUES

JAMMEH TO VISIT SENEGAL

A high profile customs officer, at the Jiboro Customs Post who wished to remain anonymous has informed Foroyaa that the Gambia/Senegal border is still closed. He said this is due to the fact the Senegalese Customs do not want either their own vehicles or those of the Gambia to cross the border.

"The border is still closed. They (The Senegalese Customs) do not allow Senegalese vehicles into our Country. At the sametime they do not allow our (Gambian) vehicles into their Country," the Custom Officer said.

He said that private vehicles from Guinea and Guinea Bissau are the only vehicles allowed. "Even if you have a dead person to be returned for funeral you have to take another vehicle when you reach the border. This happened twice here. People had to carry the corpse in person to the other side," he added.

However, efforts to get the view of the Senegalese Customs proved fruitless, as this reporter encountered hostile reactions from them. "Go to the soldiers, we can not talk to you," a Senegalese Customs Officer said. When approached for comment, a unit of four soldiers equally refused to grant me the opportunity to interviews them. We do not talk to the press," a soldier echoed.

Meanwhile, the vehicles coming from the Gambia can be seen off loading passengers by the Senegalese Customs complex and those from Senegal are also dropping passengers by Gambian Customs post.

Edrissa Jarju, a "Chef de garage" at the Selety car-park said that the border is still closed to the movement of vehicles and goods. "People are moving freely."

"We don’t know what they are still holding on to but they should now arrive at an amicable solution," said Abdoulie Bah, a Gambian driver.

"Our people are the same; almost every Gambian has a relation in Senegal, likewise the Senegalese. We are one people and one country. This must stop," a Senegalese woman noted.

60 GAMBIANS AND 4 SENEGALESE ARRIVE FROM MOROCCO

On Sunday 17th October 2005 60 young Gambian economic migrants and 4 Senegalese arrived at the Banjul International Airport on board a Moroccan plane. The frustrated looking youngsters were received on arrival by the Secretary of State for the Interior, Retired Colonel Babucarr Jatta, the Inspector General of Police, Major Ousman Sonko, the Director General of Immigration, Musa Mboob and other officials of the security forces.

In explaining their plight in the hands of the Moroccan Security Forces and members of the civil Society of the country Muhammadou Camara, who hails from Brikama in the western Division, expressed his total disappointment and dismay, in the way and manner they were treated before the arrival of the Gambian Ambassador. In his explanation, Mr. Camara indicated that a large number of Gambians, amounting to about 63 were loaded on board trucks and dumped in the desert. On whether he knows anything about their fate, he indicated that he could not tell.

He further explained that it was because of this fear that a good number of Gambians associated them selves with the Senegalese because of the quick reaction of the Senegalese President to the plight of his country men; that the Senegalese President indicated that his people must be given proper treatment or be left there for his government to collect; that their situation changed after the arrival of the Gambian Ambassador, Mawdo Touray.

On whether there are Gambians left behind, Camara indicated that they were scattered in villages and towns, since they were not living in valleys near settlements while waiting for the readiness of locally made wooden boats that take them to Spain. On whether they travel with their Moroccan traffickers, he answered in the negative; that the duty of the traffickers is to help provide a boat and provide the group with an experienced person who understands the sea; that it is on very rare occasions that they travel with Moroccans. He said this is why when the incident came they all scattered because they were attacked by both Civilians and the Security Forces in search of money and anything valuable from them.

Alhagie Yaffa and Camara both expressed that all of them have left the Gambia with the aim of making ends meet inorder to change the poverty situation of their Families.

In his comments the SOS for the Interior, expressed his total dismay on what these people have encountered. He however for economic gains while maintaining that every thing we do needs care and having respect for our human dignity.

For his part, the Director General of Immigration said the deportees would be screened on their citizenship; that they will be transported to the Friendship Hostel where they will be given resettlement favours before they will be given fare to travel home. All the deportees were given a friendly and brotherly reception on arrival. They were given refreshments like biscuits and were given injection by the health personals.

At The National Assembly

NAMs SCRUTINIZING THE EXECUTIVE

By Abdoulie G. Dibba

ON THE BORDER CRISIS

During the question and answer session at the National Assembly, the member for Lower Baddibu, Hon. Suku Singhateh raised the following question: "Hon. Speaker, could the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs inform this august Assembly what is the state of affairs regarding the border closure between The Gambia and Senegal?"

In response, the SoS Bala Gaye indicated that the border was closed by the Senegalese authorities in protest to the increase in the ferry tariff at Barra / Banjul and Bambatenda / Yellitenda crossings. SoS Gaye pointed out that The Gambia has not at any time closed its side of the border and has not prevented vehicles to enter leave Gambian territory. SoS Gaye highlighted that consultations have been going on since the beginning of the problem with the Department of State for Foreign Affairs playing a leading role. "This process is ongoing with the hope that Senegal would reopen its border and all related problems resolved," he said.

In a supplementary question, the member for Jarra West, Hon. Kemeseng Jammeh asked him whether the decision of the tariff increment would be revisited in the light of the present problem.

In response, SoS Gaye said that The Gambia is a sovereign republic and therefore the decision is a sovereign decision. SoS Gaye asserted that it is the Senegalese authorities that have violated the ECOWAS protocol on free movement of goods and other conventions relating to the free movement of goods.

Hon. Jammeh again raised the following question: "Hon. Speaker, is the government considering the reduction of the tariff taking into consideration that certain goods are becoming scarce in the country?"

In response, SoS Gaye pointed out that there is no scarcity of goods in the country because of the border closure. He said that fuel does not come from Senegal, noting that there is arrangement to import cooking gas from Mauritania.

The Minority Leader and member for Serrekunda Central, Halifa Sallah asked whether there is any mechanism in place to cushion the effect of the border closure.

In response, SoS Bala Gaye indicated that their advice to the business community is to look for alternative routes for their business transactions.

THE CAPACITY OF THE CONSUL IN GIRONA, SPAIN

The member for Illiassa, Hon. Kebba E. A. Touray raised the following question: "Hon. Speaker, the number of Gambians currently living and working in Girona, Spain is estimated to be about 20, 000 The capacity of the present Consul in Girona where 90 % of Gambians in Spain live is indeed limited. Could the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs tell this august Assembly what immediate plans the Foreign Affairs have to upgrade the Girona Consul to Consul General to cater for the ever growing Gambians travelling to Girona?"

In response, SoS Bala Gaye indicated that the appointment of an Honorary Consul General is not determined by the number of nationals of a country resident in specific municipality or country. A Consul General, he said, is generally appointed with jurisdiction for a whole country in addition to other Consuls within a specific municipal jurisdiction. SoS Gaye said the Consul General has to satisfy the rule of longevity as an Honorary Consul. In other words, he said the candidate for the position of Honorary Consul General should have served sufficiently long as an Honorary Consul and should be the most senior among the serving Honorary Consuls. Regarding the Gambian population in Spain, SoS Gaye said it is not the case that 90 % of Gambians in Spain live in Girona as indicated by the Hon. Member for Illiassa.

EFFECTS OF THE BORDER CLOSURE

Hon. Suku Singhateh, National Assembly member for Lower Baddibu, raised the following question: "Mr. Speaker, could the Secretary of State for Finance and Economic Affairs inform this august Assembly the effects of the border on the economy?"

In response, SoS Alieu Ngum indicated that they have asked Customs to compile some statistics after which his Department of State will do an impact assessment on Customs Revenue. SoS Ngum pointed out that there are of course other effects including delays in the arrival of building and construction materials for projects and other consumer items. This, SoS Ngum said, has led to a standstill of road construction in the country.

ON PAY SCALE OF PARASTATALS

On his part, the Hon. Member for Banjul Central, Hon. Jose T. K. Green Harris raised the following question: "Mr. Speaker, could the Secretary of State for Finance and Economic Affairs provide this august body the pay scale (salary and allowances) of the following:

a) Gambia Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA)

b) Public Utilities Regulatory Agency (PURA)

c) Gambia Telecommunications Company Ltd (GAMTEL)

d) Gambia Investment Promotion and Free Zone Agency (GIPFZA)

e) Gambia Public Procurement Agency (GPPA)

f) Gambia Divestiture Agency (GDA)."

In response, SoS Ngum indicated that the Hon. Member may kindly wish to see the attached salary scale of the above listed public enterprises.

See next issue for the salary scale of these public enterprises and those who determine their salary.

HIPC PHASED OUT! WHY?

By Abdoulie G. Dibba

In moving the motion for the National Assembly to adjourn sine and die, the Minority Leader and National Assembly member for Serrekunda Central, Halifa Sallah pointed out that they have been informed by the Secretary of State for Finance and Economic Affairs that the Highly Indebted Poor Countries (HIPC) fund to The Gambia has been phased out. He noted that the Secretary of State for Finance should really tell them what actually happened until The Gambia is left out of the debt relief budgetary scheme. He said this is essential because HIPC fund used to help us to reduce our debt service portfolio which enables us to augment the social sector. Mr Sallah pointed out that he had raised the issue of the rising debt portfolio of the country, its sustainability and impact on the national budget; and heard the Secretary of State saying that it is sustainable and that they have not defaulted in the payment of the debt service. Mr Sallah argued that the issue is not being capable of paying
 but an issue of its impact on the national budget. He asserted that this year alone we are paying D1.4 billion from a national budget of D2.2 billion at a time when the HIPC fund which helped to augment the social sector has been phased out and that the National Assembly is demanding for an increment of the salary of civil servants which is absolutely necessary taking into consideration the high cost of living. He noted that this would certainly have a negative impact on the budget and the social sector. "So it is absolutely necessary that the Secretary of State should tell us why The Gambia with a debt burden of D22 billion, which is rising based on the number of loans we have ratified in this session and ones before this session, why The Gambia, which is part of the highly indebted poor countries, is exempted from the debt relief scheme," Halifa emphasized.

SHORTAGE OF REGISTERS HIT GOV’T SCHOOLS

Gardeno Sambou

Reports reaching Foroyaa have disclosed that government Schools have recently been bit by a shortage of classroom registers.

Principals and teachers, who want to remain anonymous, disclosed that since the re-opening of schools almost a month ago, they were not supplied with registers and therefore they have to use temporal registers. Mr. Cham, a senior teacher who has been in the profession for more than half a dozen years, said this has been the trend at the beginning of every academic year; that they normally use temporal registers till they receive the actual registers; that they are used to this despite the numerous complaints that they have made.

Mr. Bojang another teacher, disclosed that lack of registers normally causes a delay to their work; that at the end of the day he has to transfer everything to the proper register whereby he could make mistakes and can be blamed. Mr. Darboe, also head teacher, said he has informed the Department of State for Education about the problem, but nothing has been done about it. A headmistress who also wishes to remain anonymous blamed DOSE for lack of proper planning. "Look, they should have worked this out well before schools resumed. The Gambia is a small country and they should have been able to know the educational needs of the children. Even if you should go around the classrooms, you would find out that most pupils are sitting on mats and writing on their laps. The lucky onces will be sitting in fours on benches that are meant for two pupils." The concern headmistress went further to disclose that most schools are even without text books. "How can we achieve our educational goals?"
 she asked. "Look, it is high time we Gambians change our attitudes and work for the betterment of our nation, so that we can achieve our educational goals," she said.

In order to verity this story, this reporter contacted the permanent Secretary at the Department of State for Education, but was informed that the Permanent Secretary was not in town by one Sidebeh Sanneh, an operator.