GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 20:12:25 +0200
Sister Jabou Joh wrote.

"....One of the main issues we have with the APRC regime is that they are not operating within the law, and a society where people threaten to take the law into their own hands becomes a promise of another dictatorship".

I really really hope that this statement is seriously considered by all those who wish to replace the Jammeh regime with something better....because the methods that are used to oust the status quo is what largely determines what it is going to be replaced with.

There is little doubt that Mr.Ebou Jallow and his recent political history is a difficult subject for us. It is doubtful if modern Gambian political history has produced an equally controversial dramatis persona. (One can discern parallels with the political biographies of Sheriff Ceesay's fall from grace with former President Jawara and Sheriff Dibba's political trajectory that climaxed with his merciless humiliation by President Jammeh after the latter's naming him Speaker of the House). But none of these are comparable to the turbulent and dramatic life of Ebou Jallow since July 1994. How do you relate with a man both as private person and as an individual who served the APRC, turned around against that regime accusing some of its office holders of brutal murders, but makes an about turn once again in an attempt to mend fences with the same regime; and participates in discourse on Gambia in forums where the most vocal are various kinds of opponents to said regime?

Those who entertain and engage in debates with Mr. Jallow are sometimes slighted for their meaningless patronising of a despicable criminal. These have already consigned him into an asylum of lickspittles whose behinds should be spanked when a different order obtains in Gambia. Others have responded to Mr. Jallow's intellectual challenges and tried discoursing with him.

In such a milieu replete with contradictions, everyone manages a grievance. What is certain is that the idea of Gambia as a smiling coast of brotherhooding blood lines is a convenient myth. It is not neccessary to entertain or even perpetuate such fairy tales in our zeal to construct a patriotism based on biology. What we must however struggle for is a Gambia where those sent to prison are confined as a result of due process of law. Everything else is mere angry opinion.

 Many many thanks Sister Jabou Joh for helping us clearly see through the current frenzy and raising questions that are relevant to the entire superstructure.

Momodou S Sidibeh