GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ABDOUKARIM SANNEH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2007 18:21:52 +0100
Jabouu
  Thanks for your comment. We men are part of the contributory factor to such unhealthy act of self dehumanisation. In western context there are several gestures and action towards women which in legal context are termed as sexual harassesment toward women while they are common jokes in many African societies.

[log in to unmask] wrote:
  Suntou,

Skin bleaching to me is up there with all these black women wearing those blond wigs and weaves.
It is the highest form of expression of self hatred and it is very very sad indeed, not to mention unhealthy.
However, I think that some of the men's preference must be contributing to the continued proliferation of this menace but at the end of the day, the sisters must have the confidence to be themselves.
Jabou