GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alieu Darboe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:36:34 -0000
Pa M`bai Jerejef for sending news of B. Ann`s demise on the L, just want to correct that he was in his early to mid-twenties.

I have known and worked with Ann since his days at St Therese`s when I was Secretary General for GAMSU(in those hard but glorious days). I Thought I owe it to the late Ann to say the following about Ann:

 Ann was a promising young lad,courageous,very courageous and nice. He had called me his role model many times and had received counsel from me on numerous occasions. He was a natural leader and had inspired a lot of his peers. I can fondly remember during the sittings of the Commission that probed the deaths of the students killed during the April 10/11 2001 student demonstration,the public gallery of the high court use to be full to the brim as Gambia High School students come to hear the testimony on Ann.

I also remember visiting him In detention with Lawyer Abubakr(Baa) Tambedou as I sued government on behalf of GAMSU for the unconditional release of the detained student leaders. This facilitated chiefly by Awa Ceesay -Sabally,Emmanuel Joof, Baa Tambedou and Ousman Sillah(the Lead Counsel. I swore to an Originating Summons prepared eruditely by Awa Sisay-Sabally.Ann was in good spirit while being detained.Our lawyers then informed him, Alhassan Sisay and others that the High Court presided over by Justice Mam Yasin Sey has ordered for their unconditional release.This is just to point to his courage.Ann was also a founding leader of the Pan-African Club of Gambia High School and he had invited me to its launching with Halifa Sallah. He had a lot of vision and energy.

I returned from Nairobi over the weekend to this shocking news. He was my junior comrade for whom I had adoration and admiration. I have since visited his family to share grieve. His was a life short-lived, but indeed fruitfully expended.His demise is a grave national loss considering his immense potentials.However, I agree with Mariama Ba "in So Long A Letter" that 'one does not fix appointment with fate because fate grasps whom it wants, when it wants. When it moves in the direction of your desires, it brings you plenitude.But more often than not, it unsettles, crushes you...' just like Ann`s untimely demise.But as Mariama advised,"one has to endure..." and for this reason I urge all of us who knew Ann to endure as we pray to ALLAH TO GIVE HIM REPOSE IN HEAVEN...AMEEEN!!!

DOLEFULLY,

Alieu Darboe