GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2007 14:34:50 EDT
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No.  103/2007, 3 – 4 September 2007

Editorial
Central Bank’s Press  Release on the Gambian Economy
Just like the Central Bank, Foroyaa is also  following developments in The
Gambian economy. We do not see the rosy picture  they are trying to paint. It
would not be fair to ignore the facts they have  presented to us and invent our
own. We will therefore use the facts they have  provided to argue our point
and then raise questions for the bank to  investigate. We will focus on the
banks and inflation.
The banks are the  foundation for investment and economic output. If they are
to promote economic  growth there should be rise in domestic savings and
credit to the productive  base to boost output. According to the statistics
provided by the Central Bank,  savings are increasing, the buying and selling of
money is increasing but credit  is falling. This means that the banks are
merchant banks rather than development  banks. They are making money by exchange
which can have very drastic effect on  the exchange rates in relation to
international currencies. This tend to drive  away investment and increase the
exportation of foreign exchange to foreign  reserves as a protective means by relying
on interest on bank deposits abroad to  cushion any possible losses from rapid
depreciation of the value of foreign  money in relation to the dalasi.
The hoarding and transfer of foreign  exchange would affect domestic credit
and output and increase speculation in the  currency market which can make the
exchange rate situation very erratic.
Now  one may ask: What is the investment situation of the banks in relation
to  savings?
According to the Central Bank, “total assets rose to D9.69 billion,  or 17.3
percent from end of June 2006. gross loan and advances amounted to D7.29
billion but lower than D2.35 billion in June 2006, reflecting a tightening of
credit conditions. Non-performing loans to gross loans was 13.0 percent in June
2007, higher than 12.63 percent in March 2007.
Deposit liabilities increased  to D6.19 billion, or 14.6 per cent from a year
ago  reflecting rising  income and vigorous savings mobilisation drive.” Now,
let us put this question  to bankers. What does it mean for a bank to reduce
credit in the face of  increasing non performing loans and growth in deposit
liabilities?” The answer  cannot indeed be bright prospects for the banks and
the economy. This is the  point.
Secondly, an economy which is serving the people should enhance income  of
the poor and control inflation to enable them to purchase their  necessities.
According to the Central Bank “(9) Available inflation data is  yet to
convincingly demonstrate a sustained moderation of inflationary  pressures.
End-period inflation, measured by the National Consumer Price Index,  accelerated from
1.5 per cent in July 2006 to 6.3 per cent at end-July 2007. The  average
inflation rate was 3.2 per cent compared to 3.1 per cent a year ago. The  main
driver of inflation was food prices which rose to 9.7 per cent compare to  1.1
per cent in July 2006. Non-food prices rose by a modest 2.5 per cent from  2.1
per cent in July 2006. Core inflation, excluding prices of energy and
utilities as well as volatile food items rose from 1.8 per cent in July 2006 to  6.4
per cent in July 2007.
(10) Looking ahead, the robust economic expansion  is expected to be
sustained in the near term supported by improving financial  conditions. End-period
inflation is forecast to decelerate to less than 5.0 per  cent by end- December
2007. However, there are risks to the forecast  particularly relating to
volatile oil prices and rising global aggregate demand  and their possible “knock on
” effect on general prices.”
The conclusion of  the Central Bank needs no further clarification.
Inflationary trend to them  cannot be accurately predicted. It depends on
circumstances beyond their  control.
We will keep track of the economy and report  accurately.

Gambians In The United States Dismiss Gibba’s Report as  Erroneous
Misrepresentation of Facts
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
After the  publication on the Point newspaper, captioned “Gambians in the
United States to  rebuild NADD,” on August 29, 2007, a Gambian organisation
called “UGAMA” have  reacted to the publication made by the said newspaper.
In a press release  claimed to have been sent to all media houses in The
Gambia UGAMA stated that  they are not representing any sectional interest; that
instead it is a call to  debate the common issues with a view to arriving at a
common answer. “This  appeared to be an erroneous representation or deliberate
misrepresentation of  facts sent to that media house.
When contacted Mr. Abba A.S. Gibba, the  author of The Point article said he
got his information from Lamin Waa Juwara of  NDAM. Mr. Gibba said Waa Juwara
gave him this information during an exclusive  interview with him at his house
in Brikama. Mr. Gibba said Waa informed him that  he got a call from the
United States from a Gambian who informed him about the  new development that is
about to take place.
But the organisation in question  sent a press release articulating that its
only assigned term of reference is to  bring Gambians in the Diaspora together
under one roof to discuss matters of  common interest and of national bearing.
The release stated among other  things;
Why UGAMA?
“The UGAMA initiative is born out of assumption that  there are problems back
home that would require a collective effort of all  Gambians to solve such
problems. These assumptions stem  from;
i.          the ongoing  debate on various national issues especially in the
online  newspapers
ii.          the  political squabble between political parties and government
and amongst  themselves
iii.         the human  right abuses
iv.         the  participatory democracy argued by the  constitution
v.         it is a  constitutionally guaranteed civic right to participate in
political and  governance in a manner of our choice and in accordance with
law.
The above is  only the motivation for the call to a meeting. The meeting
(conference) will  serve as a forum for sharing to agree on issues of importance
to Gambia and as  well establish our role in addressing such issues. This
effort can only stop at  an announcement of concern, it can produce a civil society
organization/movement  to work with others on the identified issues, it may
not agree on to anything  and/or any other way fit best by that gathering of
Gambians.”
The press  release further went on to state that;
“In contrast to the news caption  “Gambians in United States to Reunite NADD”
 by one Abba A.S Gibba, on The Point  Newspaper, August 29, 2007, UGAMA
represent no sectional interest instead a call  to debate the common issues with a
view to arrive at a common answer.”
The  release argued that the Point report “appeared to be an erroneous
representation  and/or deliberate misrepresentation of facts send to that media
house and all  other media houses in The Gambia by UGAMA Organizing Consortium.”
The  organizers further emphasised that  “ UGAMA has no agenda other than
trying  to get Gambians under one roof somewhere in the near future. Whatever,
the  outcome of that meeting should it ever happen will be the agenda of the
people  of The Gambia and/or at least those present and/or send in their ideas.
As  stated above, our only mission is to get Gambians under a roof to discuss
 Gambia. We will continue on this effort and are asking all that this is no
personal and/or neither group agenda nor we want recognition of any sort
except  the pride to contribute our part in the development of our home. This is a
civic  duty. Please join and do whatever you can.
After the Chicago meeting we will  reconvene to discuss
i.           the possible sites for UGAMA  Conference
ii.          the cost  implications
iii.         fund  raising
iv.         expected  participation especially from  Gambia
v.         reasonable time  frame to work with
vi.          etc
We will not set the agenda and nor will we dictate one. We shall accept  all
inputs from everyone, Gambians and non-Gambians alike which compilations may
or may not be publish for public consumption in preparation of the conference
proper. For now all contributions can be directed at [log in to unmask] We
would  like to warn that this is no easy task and succeed is hardly guaranteed
in such  social mobilization, therefore bear with us and help.
Great spirits have  always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
– Albert  Einstein
Let us not fall victim of the above. It is over 40 years we are yet  to
realize the dreams at the birth of the nation. The problem and it causes is
history while me and you are the answer and hopes of the future.”
We will  publish the full text of their release in the next  issue.

Dockworkers Still Dissatisfied
By Abdou Jeli  Keita
After their detention and subsequent release on bail at the NIA  headquarters
in an attempt to pressurise them to cancel their industrial action,  the Dock
and Maritime Workers Union, in an interview with this paper noted that  while
they have finally cancelled the industrial action, they are far from
satisfied, as no positive negotiation has taken place regarding the fate of over  250
workers whose services had been terminated and those still working who “are
treated as slaves.”
According to the Union’s General Secretary, Landing  Sanyang, the Union’s
trustee, Siaka Sanneh, on August 28, delivered a letter to  the NIA on behalf of
the Union, and the content of the letter reads:
“We the  members of the Dock and Maritime Workers Union hereby cancel the
industrial  action for the sake of peace and security of the country, pending
negotiations”.
Sanyang added that, Sukuta Jammeh, personnel of the NIA  received the letter
on behalf of the Director General of NIA. He said after  their release from
the NIA Headquarters, they did not discuss anything with the  Management of The
Gambia Ports Authority. He said a container ship, which used  to recruit 38
men, now recruits only 19 men; that a car carrier which used to  recruit 27 men
now only recruits 8 men and a cement cargo which used to recruit  28 men, now
recruits 8 men. Sanyang said the sacking of over 250 dock and  maritime
workers is like reducing people from work and forcing them to enter  into poverty.
He said they complained bitterly to the Director General of NIA  that the GPA
should drop its draconian measures imposed on them, but despite  everything
they are still dying of the pain inflicted on them by the Gambia  Ports
Authority. Secretary General Sanyang concluded that. “We would not  surrender the
integrity of the Gambia Dock and Maritime Workers  Union”.

“Tapalapa” Reduced In Size
By Fabakary B. Ceesay &  Modou Jonga
The local bread known as “Tapalapa,” nowadays has been reduced in  size.
Foroyaa received many complaints from consumers on the matter. We went  round to
shops and bakeries in the  Kanifing Municipality to enquire into  the problem.
Many shopkeepers indicated that they noticed the rapid change in  the bread
since last week. Many bakers said the reduction in size is linked to  the
increased price of the bag of flour in the market. They said they were  buying a
bag of flour for D500 dalasis but now it has increased to D670 dalasis.  They
said that is the reason why many took the unilateral decision to reduce the
size of the bread while maintaining the present price; that with this, they
would be able to get little profit whilst consumers could also be able to afford
it. They however said that if the trend continues, they would be left with no
other option but to increase the price of bread. They lamented that it is not
 their desire to reduce the size of the bread or to increase the price.
We  also sought the views of bakers, shopkeepers and consumers of bread in
Brikama  on the recent sharp increase in the price of flour in the market and
the  subsequent reduction of the size of bread, a staple food of Gambians.
Ansu  Jah,  shopkeeper at Brikama Wellingara Ward, lamented that bread
consumers  often complained that the size of bread does not commensurate to its
price. The  reduction of the size of  bread, he noted, “is principally due to the
high  price of flour in the country.”
A bread baker at Brikama Kabafita, Salif  Leigh, noted that, as a matter of
necessity, they have to respond to the high  price of flour by reducing the
size bread so as to realise minimal profit. He  told Foroyaa that before the
recent flour price increase, a bag of flour cost  D620.00, but now it costs
D700.00 per bag.
An anonymous bread consumer  expressed surprise on the high price of flour
despite the reduction of the price  of sugar. He finally urged the relevant
authorities to address the problem  because bread is a staple food consumed by
Gambians on a daily basis, especially  during the Holy month of Ramadan which is
fast approaching.
Foroyaa will  publish the views of the importers and retailers of flour.

Youths  Abandoned At Sea
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
Unconfirmed reports reaching  Foroyaa have it that ninety three (93) youths,
from different countries in the  sub region and who had attempted to sail to
the Spanish Canary Islands, were  abandoned by their captains in the high seas
off the coast of Mauritania. They  were said to have been stranded in a boat
at sea for three days and nights with  little food at hand.
According to two of the returnees who arrived home on  Friday 31 August, they
explained that they boarded a boat at the Mauritanian  Capital of Nouakchot
and headed towards Spain. They said they travelled for a  day and a half when
the crew informed them that they had forgotten the compass  on shore and that
they must go back for it before they get lost at sea. They  said the crew who
are all Senegalese citizens steered the boat back to a point  where they jumped
overboard and swam to the shore. They said the crew promised  to return with
a compass. They said they later moved back to the high sea to  wait for the
crew to return with the compass. The duo explained that after two  days and
nights waiting for the crew without progress, the remaining crew also  decided to
go for the same mission. They noted that on the third day they were  spotted
by a Mauritanian helicopter coast guard patrol including the Spanish  Navy who
were on a joint operation to curb illegal migration. They said the
Mauritanian navy boat escorted them in their boat to a Spanish Naval base where  they
were given food and water. They indicated that they were later transported  to
Nouakchott where they were interrogated by the authorities there. They said
they were then identified and grouped into nationalities and that they
(Gambians) entered Senegal and found their way home. They said among the  ninety-three
youths, there were Malians, Guineans, Senegalese and 37  Gambians.

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
CHILD BETROTHAL
PART 2
By  Amie Sillah
Reflections
Muhammed reflected on Amina. Her gentle smile,  confident composure and above
all her dimples when she smiles. He compared her  to the cold, mean Jami.
Then he smiled and shook his head.
Amina  Reflects
Amina reflected on Muhammed’s gentleness, down on earth nature and  welcoming
spirit. “He asked for my name! He is caring”. Amina soliloqued.
Chernor Sees Amina In Muhammed’s Car
Chernor saw Amina in Muhammed’s car.  He enquired when he visited Amina in
the evening. “Whose car was that?” Amina  pretended not to understand but she
later replied. “Oh! That was Muhammed. We  were late and he gave us a lift. I
do not actually know him”. “Oh! I am relieve.  You know I am an elderly man of
59 years. You are in your early twenties.  Muhammed is a guy in his thirties.
He is more eligible to you. I am extremely  jealous. I don’t want to lose
you. Not really after all my investments. These  young guys are more romantic
than us elderly men but we are better carers. Our  love is sure and certain just
like the setting sun. Amina was not happy. She  sensed conflict. She started
to see Chernor in a different light more as an  uncle than a lover. She changed
the topic and cut Chernor short. Mama was  present. She was not happy with
Amina’s attitude. Chernor ignored her  countenance. He bade them good bye and
left.
Muhammed Thinks About  Amina
Love is funny. Muhammed could not erase Amina from his mid. He thought  about
her in everything he did. “We are meant for each other. She is my soul  mate.
She is as fresh as the morning dew. It seems as if I know her a long time
ago. She is now part of my soul” he soliloqued. He decided to play some dirty
funny tricks. He pricked his tyre and drove to the tyre repairer to fix it.
Through the delay he hopes to come across Amina. It is so much pleasure to see
his treasure again. He wants to know her, to spend his whole life with  her.
Muhammed Stops By The Roadside
Muhammed stopped by the roadside and  got his tyre fixed. As the repairer
fixed it he looked around to see whether he  could spot Amina with her friends.
He became impatient. Amina and her friends  could not be spotted today.
Amina A Bit Late
As soon as Muhammed drove off  Amina and her friends came. They stood
thinking the Good Samaritan will pass by  but they also missed him. They were
disappointed. They took a cab.
Muhammed  Comes Back
Muhammed came back to retry. He asked the tyre repairer to again  check all
the remaining tyres to ensure they don’t burst in the future. The  repairer
checked and confirmed everything was okay. Muhammed searched around but  to no
avail. He spoke to himself. “I’ve missed her today!” “Boss! What is it?  Any
problem?” Muhammed caught up. “Its okay!” He gave the repairer a tip and  left.
Amina Is Depressed
Amina remained mute in the transport. She missed  her secret lover. Her
friends noticed her silence and enquired. “Are you  alright? Is anything the matter?
” they asked. “Not really! I am just pondering,”  she lied.
At The Supermarket
Amina went to the supermarket with Chernor to  buy some groceries.
Unexpectedly she came across Muhammed as she came out of the  supermarket. Chernor left
his car keys at the counter. He went to get them.  Muhammed approached Amina. “
Can you remember me?” Amina pretended and then said,  “Oh yes! The lift! The
Good Samaritan! You gave us a lift to our campus!” Amina  said excitedly. “
It was a pleasure!” Muhammed replied. “You are always welcome”.  They
exchanged mobile numbers. Chernor came out. Muhammed entered his car.  Chernor was
curious and suspicious. He asked. “Who is he?” “I don’t know him. He  was just
being nice,” Amina lied.
At The Restaurant
Amina met Muhammed at  the restaurant. “Did you miss me?” He asked. Amina
gave a girlish giggle. “Did  you miss me?” she also asked. “I asked you first.
First question to be  answered,” Muhammed insisted. “I remembered you twice,”
Amina replied. “I  remember you uncountably, I burst my tyre just to meet you
where I picked you  but to no avail”. Amina giggled. “Are you serious? No!
Don’t tell me you are!”  “Yes! That’s what I did just to see my treasure.”
Muhammed confessed. They  kissed each other. The magic kiss did it. They knew
they were meant for each  other. They sealed their love.
Muhammed’s Family
The family was debating  where Muhammed should do his postgraduate studies. “
But that has already been  concluded,” said Alhajj. “Is it?” Muhammed asked. “
Ofcourse! It has to be in  England to be close to your fiancée Jamila”.
Muhammed frowned. I want to do it  in the States”. Rokiya supported him. “Yeah!
Brother should be left to his  choice. You cannot fix his career to his
relationship with Jami. It is fair. His  career has nothing to do with his marriage to
Jami” Rokiya argued. Nonsense!  What do you know about relationships Rokiya?”
 Alhajj scolded her. Muhammed has  to go to the U.K to be closer to Jami.
They are expected to get married as soon  as possible. Going to the states can
derail the process,” Alhajj argued. “London  has the best law libraries”.
Muhammed got up and left abruptly. “What is his  problem?” Aja asked. “You are his
mother. Find out” “I am trying my best”. Aja  became defensive.
Muhammed In His Room
Muhammed shut himself in his room  brooding. Rokiya went after him. She
knocked and asked him to open for her. “I  want to be left alone. I don’t want to
see anybody,” he explained. “No! You have  to see your one and only sister.
Open for me!” Reluctantly, he opened the door,  she coaxed and cajoled him. “
You can trust me. What is eating you up?” Muhammed  looked straight into her
eyes and asked. “Can I trust you? Can you keep my  secret from mum and dad?”
Rokiya shook her head. “That’s why I am here. Trust  me! I’ll keep your secret.
Open up!” He explained his plan. Rokiya supported it.  He explained about his
secret love for Amina. “I never accepted Jamila,” Rokiya  confessed. “Really!
” “Yes! Really! She is class conscious, rude and mean. She  looks down on
everything and anything she thinks below her class. I don’t  appreciate her”.
Muhammed hugged and platonically kissed Rokiya on the forehead.  “Thanks!
Thanks for seeing my point of view. Mum and dad will never do. They are
suffocating me”. Rokiya gave him courage to do what he believes in.
At The  Rendez Vous
The secret lovers met at the love garden. They had games and fun.  They raced
and did Hide and seek. They promised to remain virgins until they  tied the
knot. The covenant was sealed.
Amina Blossoming
Amina is in  high spirit. He friends noticed her change of attitude. “You are
blossoming,”  said Jenny and Jackie. She explained her secret lover. “Do you
remember the good  Samaritan who gave us a lift to our campus that other day?”
 “Oh Muhammed! We  remembered”. “He dated me and I enjoyed every bit of it.
Babe! I’m in love!”  “What about Chernor?” Jackie asked. Jenny answered her.
“Chernor betrothed me!  Muhammed is mutual love. Chernor is a sugar daddy!
Muhammed is a young guy, 30  years. Twenty five years, perfect match. Chernor 59
years, odd couples! Chernor  is Amina’s dad”. Jenny argued. “Don’t poison
her mind! Chernor did everything  for Amina and her family. She should not
betray him. If she does Allah will  punish Amina!” Jackie defended her position.
Amina refused to comment. She kept  her feelings to herself. She started to be
suspicious about Jackie. She wanted  to be alone with Jenny to open up her
heart to he. Amina winked Jenny when  Jackie was not looking on. She got her
message. They changed topic to something  else.
Amina And Jenny
Amina opened up to Jenny. “You are a true friend.  You wish me well. But
Jackie is a hypocrite. I’ll not disclose anything infront  of her. She can expose
me to Chernor”. Jenny understood. “You are right. I  support your stand.
Trust me. I’ll keep your secret”. Jenny promised. Amina told  her the story of
her family relationship with Chernor. “He was my daddy’s best  friend. He is a
distant cousin to my dad. We came from the same village in  Guinea. Chernor
and dad came to The Gambia and settled in the same town.  Chernor’s family is
very rich. His father was a village chief with herds of  cattle. Chernor is his
eldest child. He sold some of his cattle and started a  lucrative business in
The Gambia. He bought a lot of properties and became an  estate developer. He
naturalized and also my dad. He established a diary farm.  He became very
wealthy. My dad worked in the civil service. He was not well  paid. Most of the
time Chernor bailed him out. Chernor sponsored my education  from nursery to
university. He has three wives each living in her own villa.  They lack nothing.
They are all Hajas but they are not conventionally trained.  Chernor betrothed
me as a kid. He promised to educate me to any level as long as  I’ll be his
wife to help him manage his business empire. He built a mansion in  my father’s
compound. He promised to finance my mother’s hajj. He opened a  stocked shop
for my mum at home. He practically meets all our financial needs.  Mum
workships him as Allah. I played along. I was innocent. I never mix with  guys until
at the university. It was a platonic relationship with my course  guys.
Chernor tolerated it. But things started to fall apart when I met my  secret lover
Muhammed. Our chemistries attracted each other. Then we  simultaneously knew we
were meant for each other. This is my secret. Chernor is  fine. He is
generous. He is kind. He has done a lot for my family but I do not  love him. My
parents betrothed me to him. They did not seek my consent. I cannot  marry
Chernor. I have no passionate feeling for him”. Amina hugged Jenny who  showed great
understanding for her friends. “Help me! Advise me! I sense a great  conflict
coming. Give me courage girlfriend! Give me a shoulder to lean on. I
defiantly need great strength to fight both mum and Uncle Che”. Jenny gave her  more
courage. “You are welcome. Defend your love. You and Muhammed are made for
each other”. Jenny kissed Amina on her forehead. They sealed their  secret.

FOCUS ON POLITICS
1987 General Elections - A Three Way  Fight
Could PPP Conduct Free and Fair Elections?
With Suwaibou Touray
We have been focusing on politics in this column. We have followed the
narration of political events from pre-colonial to the post independence era. We
have just completed the narration of events for the year 1986. In the last
edition, we have dealt with the emergence of PDOIS. We stopped where we quoted
the leadership as having committed themselves to collective leadership.
Let  us continue from where we stopped.
Records have shown that the 1987  presidential race was a three way fight.
Mr. Dibba and Sir Dawda had a straight  fight in 1982 and according to the
Torch; this has given some indicators which  one can use to make projections.
According to the Torch, the one variable is  the expected new in road that
Mr. Camara was projected to make in several  regions, such as the URD and the
MID, given the pattern of voting in the last  presidential elections. The Torch
predicted that Camara would lift off from Mr.  Jawara’s majority rather than
from Dibba’s vote.
Records also show that Sir  Dawda polled 26,071 votes in URD and 35,840 votes
in MID in the 1982  presidential elections. According to the predictions, the
GPP leader was  expected to easily bite off more than 1/3 of the votes there
from Mr. Jawara. In  their hypothesis, if that happens, Mr. Jawara would be at
a disadvantage to win  the presidential race.
In the Baddibus which was considered as the bastion of  the NCP, the largest
opposition grouping at the time was predicted to win about  50% of the votes
in the region. Sir Dawda had polled 67.15% of the votes cast  there 1982 but
many were critical of  the outcome because of the lack of  legitimacy for an
election that was held during a state of public  emergency.
The prediction was, if the NCP leader could retain his votes that  he polled
in 1982, he might win the presidential election. But if that fails,  observers
said, then Sir Dawda would still be re-elected but only with a simple
majority, meaning that he would be a minority president.
By January 1987, the  date for the general elections was set and parliament
dissolved. The campaign  had already heightened throughout the country. The
PDOIS continued their  sensitization during the period but did not put up a
presidential candidate.  Tension was said to be high everywhere.
The issue troubling the Republic at  the time were numerous but that the main
issues were the unemployment (mass lay  offs), the inability of the
Cooperative Union to buy farmers’ produce after a  concerted effort to encourage them
to produce more, the ERP (Economic recovery  Programme), the Senegambia
Confederation and the Banjul - Serekunda highway. The  condition of Banjul roads also
became an issue in Banjul because of the unending  sewerage project and of
course the high prices of commodities etc.
According  to reports, despite the incumbency of the PPP at the time, the
attacks from the  many opposition camps petrified and greatly obsessed the ruling
party about  their defeat in the forthcoming polls and as a result, they had
adopted what the  Torch observed as “draconian measures” vis-à-vis the
opposition political  parties.
According to the Torch, the opposition as represented by the NCP,  GPP and
the newly emerged PDOIS were to all indications geared towards what they
described as “tough and unyielding fight.”
According to reports, as the  campaign got heated, a candidate like Assan
Musa Camara was very confident that  success was awaiting them at the next turn.
The opposition had cried for free  and fair elections devoid of rigging and
unnecessary provocations.
The  reports had it that during this period of campaign, the president was
booed by  youngsters at Serrekunda as he was driven back from Banjul
International Airport  when he went to see off President Abdou Diouf at the end of a two
day summit of  the OMVG held in Banjul. This became the hottest news flash in
town that week,  an indication that Jawara’s popularity was on the downward
ebb, The Torch  observed.
According to the Torch it was a common fact that PPP meetings and  rallies
were not as jam packed as they used to be in the past.
At this point,  the NCP issued what they called memoranda which embodied a
code of conduct for  holding free and fair elections. It reads;
“If Sir Dawda wants a ‘free and  fair’ 1987 elections, the NCP is taking the
opportunity now to call on him in  the name of justice and fair play
enshrined in our multi party democracy, to  adhere to the following codes of conduct
for the political campaign and election  now that parliament has been formally
dissolved.
1. Preserve and maintain the  national integrity and party-political
neutrality of Radio Gambia. Broadcasts of  party political news meetings, rallies and
other activities must reflect the  multi-party system that Sir Dawda claims
exists in the country. Press releases  like this one should be given the same
radio coverage as press releases from the  PPP Bureau.
2. An arbitration committee may be necessary to ensure a more  rational
allocation of media time to all the contesting political parties.
Moreover, each and every candidate nominated for the office of President,
must be guaranteed media time on the Radio Gambia equally.
The leader and  Presidential candidate for NCP takes this opportunity to
offer himself  ready to challenge Sir Dawda, or whoever will be the PPP’s
presidential  candidate for 1987, to a debate on Gambia’s economic situation, over
Radio  Gambia, live.
3. No government, parastatal, military, diplomatic, or other  official
vehicle is to be used by or in support of any political party candidate  during the
campaign or on polling day. The NCP and the Gambian people witnessed  abuses
of official vehicles in 1977, 1982 and 1985 (Basse by-elections and our
tolerance has been over stretched to the very limits of endurance. In 1987, the  NCP
and the Gambian people will not stand idly by in the face of these
provocations. Nor can the NCP or any responsible Gambian citizen guarantee to  restrain
the public from administering any appropriate road side justice that
righteously flows from such provocations.
4. Government civil servants,  parastatals, especially GPMB, GCBD, GUC,
Commissioners (especially in WD, URD  and chiefs are reminded that their role is to
serve whichever government is  elected into office. Consequently, they are
warned not to participate or  interfere in the due process of the elections
beyond their legal and civic  duties. The electoral interference, intimidations
and harassment that subverted  the 1977, and 1982 elections were even more
blatant at the Basse bye-election.  These corrupt and highly irregular electoral
mal-practices will no longer go  unchallenged in 1987. Officials who are foolish
enough not to heed this solemn  warning must be prepared to accept the full
consequences for any road side  justice that righteously flows from such
provocations.”  The question that  remains to be answered since 1965 is whether the
ruling PPP could hold a free  and fair elections.
See next edition as we advance into the 1987 presidential  and parliamentary
elections.

Report by the Ombudsman
STASTICAL  SUMMARY
·           In 2003  a total of 60 complaints were received 59 of which (98%)
were completed with 1  pending
·           In 2004  a total of 57 Complaints, 56 (98%) of which were
completed with 1 case  pending.
·           In  2005, out of a total of 92 Complaints, 87 (95%) were
completed with 5 cases  pending
·           In 2006  out of total of 131 Complaints, 109 (83%) were completed
with 22 cases  pending
Unlike the years 2001/2002, there were no cases of non compliance by
respondent institutions during the years 2003 – 2006. All recommendations were
either complied with or the complaint dismissed as frivolous or the case
discontinued.
Case  No:                           2/2002
Nature of Complaint:      Injustice
COMPLAINT
Complainant alleged that he was allocated plot No: 334  at Bakoteh Layout in
November 1992. He obtained lease for the plot and while he  was erecting a
building, one Mrs. J filed a suit in the High Court claiming  lawful ownership of
the same plot No. 334. In support thereof she produced lease  serial
registration No. K 369/1989.
The presiding Judge, declared Mrs. J as  the lawful owner of plot. He granted
an injunction restricting complainant or  his agents entering the said plot;
ordered for the cancellation of complainant’s  lease no K.142/1994 by the
Registrar General and ordered complainant to pay Mrs.  J D1000 as nominal damages.
INVESTIGATION
On the 27th September 2002 the  Ombudsman had a meeting with the relevant
department’s Permanent Secretary, the  Deputy Permanent Secretary Technical and
the Director in which they requested  the letter of allocation and court order
in other to address the matter.
Meticulous efforts were pursued for the regularization of the matter until a
new Permanent Secretary was appointed, who referred the matter to the
Director.  Upon the Director’s concern and understanding the matter was finally
resolved.
CONCLUSION
Complainant was compensated Plot No. 119 in the Salagi Layout  for
residential purposes.
Case  No:                      12/2003
Nature of Complaint: Injustice
COMPLAINT
Complainant was  employed as a caretaker with effect from the 1st September
1996 and paid D4,  8.60 per annum on Grade (1). A letter dated 27th December
2000, revealed that  advice was given by the Principal Officer to the Principal
Accountant to settle  the arrears or complainant. He had salary arrears of 13
months which was unpaid  and during the process his services were verbally
terminated
INVESTIGATION
The Human Resources Director together with the  Permanent Secretary of the
Department of State were contacted and both stated  that they way and manner
complainant termination was carried out was absolutely  wrong. Investigation also
disclosed that complainant was not paid his correct  entitlements i.e.
1 Month in lieu of notice  =                        405.00
105 days of earned  leave                         1635.57
36 months “of sitting down allowance” 14580.00
The total grand  total  -                          16,620.57
As a result the Permanent Secretary was requested on a letter dated  6th
January 2004 to regularize complainant’s  entitlements.
RECOMMENDATION
It was recommended that before  ancillary staff are terminated, their
entitlements should be computed and paid  accordingly.
Complaint  No:                         18/2004
Nature of  Complaint:              Injustice
COMPLAINT
Complainant claimed to have suffered injustice as a  consequence of
maladministration in connection with non-payment of wages and  accrued benefits.
INVESTIGATION
Complainant worked for a Company for  thirteen (13) years as an Animator. In
the early part of 2002, most of the  Company’s senior Staff were served with
three months notice and their services  later terminated, whilst she was
neither terminated nor dismissed. On 16th may  2002, she wrote to the Board
Chairman, copied to the former Director, late  Secretary of State for Agricultural and
the then Permanent Secretary regarding  payment of her half salary of two
thousand five hundred dalasis (2,500) effect  from July 2002 to December 2002 but
to no avail. She was later invited to a  meeting by the Board Chairman and
other board members. At the meeting she was  asked by Mr. G to join his
organisation as an Animator but she declined the  offer because the salary offered was
too low.
FINDINGS
On a meeting on  17th March 2005 with the Project Coordinator, it was agreed
to refer the matter  to the Board of Directors and recommend termination of
complainant services with  effect from 28th February 2005 retrospectively.
CONCLUSION
The Board of  Directors adhered with the recommendation and complainant was
paid with effect  from December 2001 to February 2005  a total sum of
D160.500.50. The  company agreed to pay but by installment. The first installment of
D12,037, 50.  The company agreed to pay by installment. The first installment of
12, 037, 50  was paid 14th February 2006. The second installment of
D74,231,00 was paid on  23rd June 2006 and the balance will be paid subsequently.
Complaint  No:                  5/2004
Complaint  No:                  6/2004
Complaint  No:                 7/2004
Nature of Complaint:     Unfair  Treatment
COMPLAINT
These three identical complainants alleged that on  11th November 2003, they
went to the Serrekunda Market where they met a  Mauritanian; they asked him
the price of his textile which he said was D55.00 a  meter. They asked him to
produce his Laissez-Passer and he produced an expired  Laissez-Passer. They told
him that he was not supposed to do business in The  Gambia without
regularizing his stay. They extended his Visitors Pass for a  month. As they were about
to depart a lady who identified herself as the  Accountant General confronted
them. She seized the Temporary Visitor’s Pass  issued to the Mauritanian and
demanded for a receipt. She warned them that she  would report the matter to
the Secretary of State. Their statements were  obtained. They were charged and
fined D300.00 and discharged from the service.  They urged the Ombudsman to
investigate and offer a  redress.
INVESTIGATION
The Department stated that complainant’s duty as  members of the Department’
s Enforcement Team did not involve issuing Temporary  Visitors Pass. Temporary
Visitors Pass is only issued at the border. He said on  the day in question
complainants were engaged on an unauthorized patrol. They  were charged and
they pleaded guilty. As a result they were discharged.
FINDING
·            Complainant’s conduct and demeanour as members of discipline
force should be of  sterling quality and serve as a role model to the Public;
·           The fact that  they had involved themselves in such corrupt
practices had eroded the confidence  bestowed on  them;
·           For a  society to be healthy and stable such corrupt practices
among unscrupulous  members of the disciplinary force should be  discouraged.
CONCLUSION
Complaint was not made in good faith and therefore  dismissed under section
9(3) (1) of the Ombudsman Act 1997.
Case  No:                      13/2005
Nature of Complaint: Injustice
COMPLAINT
Complainant a Car Park  Collector alleged that he was accused of deliberately
failing to report to work  on the 28th January 06 and handing over his
machine to a Municipal Security  Officer. He disclosed that he was suspended for one
week and ten days and his  salary deducted without giving him the opportunity
to defend himself. He further  alleged that his relation with the Acting
Chairman was not cordial, which is the  reason why he seized the opportunity to
victimize him.
He emphasised that  Saturday, 28th January 2006 was declared National
Set-Settal and he did not  refuse to go to work but was rather constrained by his
activities as a youth  leader in mobilizing and co-ordinating groups in his area.
He asserted that  there was nothing wrong in giving his machine to a
Municipal Security Officer to  keep whilst he took his mandatory break of 30 minutes.
He felt that an injustice  has been carried against him.
INVESTIGATION
Investigation revealed that  the attitude of complainant towards work was
least to be desired. He has been  among others:
·            Suspended from work for 3 weeks without pay due to involvement
in selling  counterfoil tickets in  2002;
·           One month  suspension without salary for absenting himself from
work for 2 months in  2005;
·           Suspended  for a week without salary for negligence to lawful
order;
·           And  finally, refused to report for work because of Operation
Clean the Nation after  he was warned by his  supervisor.
FINDINGS
1.         As  a public officer, complainant was required to observe proper
decorum when in  public office, but his behavior was less than decorous on his
senior officers  especially the Acting Chairman;
2.         It was found that the  Council have been lenient to complainant as
his first duty was to give his  individual attention to rendering the service
for which he was employed at all  times.
CONCLUSION
Complainant was advised to respect and comply with rules  and regulations and
conduct himself at all time in a manner which promotes  confidence in the
integrity of Council.
The complaint was dismissed as  frivolous and not made in good faith under
sec. 7 (3) (1a) of the Ombudsman  Act.
Case  No:                    18/2006
Nature of Complaint: Unfair Treatment
COMPLAINT
Complainant  alleged that the Director refused to sign his Social Security
Forms to enable  him claim for his retirement benefits. He added that the
Director’s refusal was  due to a purported claim that he owed the company the cost
of a motor cycle,  which he denied. He asked the Ombudsman to intervene and
offer  redress.
INVESTIGATION
Complainant was allocated a motor cycle to enable  him execute his duties. He
reported the motorcycle stolen. The contractual  agreement was for
complainant to pay 50% of the cost price amounting to (D14,  000.00). A claim was
forwarded to the Insurance Company and D27, 900.00 was paid  against the lost of the
motorcycle.
Complainant entered into another contract  for the allocation of a new
motorcycle. The motorcycle and crash helmet was  valued at D28, 000.00. The
deduction agreed was D14, 000.00. Deduction was made  from his salary of D593 and
should continue without interruption until the total  sum of (D14, 000.00) IS
RECOVERED.
Complainant reporting theft of the second  motorcycle again. He was reluctant
in honouring the terms and condition of the  contract as entered for the
payments of the motorcycle claiming that he  contributed towards the Insurance
policy of the compensation made by the  Insurance Company as there should be
consideration for the motorcycle being  stolen. He refused to settle the
D14.000.00.
FINDINGS
·            Contractual terms/conditions of the agreements the first
motorcycle cannot be  extended to the second contract agreement in the allocation of
the second  motorcycle;
·           The  premium was paid by the company.
·           Complainant  was not a privy to the contract agreement with the
Insurance Company; as such he  was therefore not personally entitled to the
D27,  900.00.
RECOMMENDATION
The Ombudsman recommended that complainant should  honour the agreement by
settling the arrears owed to the  company.
Recommendation was adhered to.
Case  No:                               8/2006
Nature of  Complaint:          Unfair  Treatment
COMPLAINT
Complainant a Kuranic/Arabic teacher was instructed to  teach double shift in
September 2005. He alleged that all his colleagues were  paid double shift
allowance for September to October 2005 except him. He claimed  for payment of
his allowances to no effect. He urged the Ombudsman to intervene  and offer
redress.
INVESTIGATION
On a letter dated 27th March 2006 the  Permanent Secretary of the relevant
Department of State was requested to react  to the complaint. On a letter dated
16th May 2006, he referred the Ombudsman to  the report of the Regional
Director, on the issue of complainant
According to  the report, the double shift teaching arrangement was used as
an efficient  measure in teaching/learning situation on the following
parameters:
·           The  number of teachers posted to particular school against the
number of classes in  that school.
·            Inadequate number of classrooms against number of classes in a
given  situation.
He stated that an individual teacher is expected to teach in a  given week a
minimum of 48 periods for both shift (morning and afternoon). In a  nutshall
the  double shift teaching arrangement was meant to ensure maximal  use of
resources in terms of infrastructure and teacher utilization.
He said  that complainant and Mr. S were posted to a basic Cycle School in
September 2005  to teach Arabic and Islamic Studies. The school operates 11
classes (6 at the  lower level and 5 classes at the upper level). The school
offers 37 periods of  Islamic and Arabic studies as indicated in the Composite Time
 Table.
According to his analysis Mr. S was redeployed to a Lower Basic School  in
December 2005 as result of over staffing. He pointed out that complainant  could
not have been officially engaged in the double shift between September to
November 2005 because of the two Koranic Teachers present in the school at the
time against 36 periods. He emphasised that complainant engagement in double
shift teaching during the said period was an internal arrangement. He
concluded  that complainant was not entitled to any double shift allowance for the
period  because he commenced double shift teaching in December 2005 when it was
realised  that he could cover the 37 Kornic periods on the school’s timetable.
The  Principal of the Basic Cycle School disclosed that the directive to
engage  complaint service for double shift for the period of September to November
2005  was a directive from the Regional Director. He denied that the
engagement of  complainant’s service was an internal arrangement. He asserted that the
school  was having a shortage of 6 teachers. He informed the Regional
Director who gave  the green light to commence double shift. Complainant being the
only qualified  Kuranic teacher his name was included in the list of teachers
selected to start  double shift. He submitted the afternoon shift register and
the Basic Cycle  School Log Book to the office to substantiate his assertion.
He further added  that the minimum period for double shift grade is 24 hour per
week and the  maximum is 36 hours and complainant was offering 39 hours per
week. He concluded  that all teachers engaged in the double shift were paid
except complainant,  which he described as very  pathetic.
Finding
·            After a careful examination of the double shift register and the
minutes in the  log book it was confirmed that complainant worked on double
shift for the period  of September 2005 to 30th November  2005;
·            Complainant’s involvement to teach double shift was not an
internal arrangement  but the Principal acted on the advice of the Regional
Director;
·            Complainant colleagues were paid their double shift allowance
except  complainant.
RECOMMENDATION
The Ombudsman recommended complainant be paid  his double shift allowance for
the period September to November 2005.
Case  No:                                 68/2006
Nature of  Complaint:             Unlawful Termination
COMPLAINT
Complainant was appointed on the 1st July  2006 as a Senior Mid-Wife. He
worked for a month when his services were  terminated on the grounds that he
lacked the practical skills needed on the job.  He denied the allegations. He
alleged that this was a ploy to get rid of him. He  argued that he had worked as a
nurse with the Royal Victoria Hospital for  thirteen years and had never receiv
ed a query. He felt that an injustice had  been carried out against him. He
urged the Ombudsman to intervene and offer  redress.
INVESTIGATION
Interview with the Managing Director and Project  manager revealed that
complainant was under probation and was found wanting and  lack the necessary skill
to do the work. His midwifery skills were below  standard and he lacked the
experience to prescribe the appropriate medication to  patients. He was
cautioned on his shortcomings but he failed to improve. They  had no option but to
terminate his services. Complainant insulted them and  assaulted one of the
nurses. The considered Complainant’s behaviour a danger for  both patients and
co-workers. His termination was revoked and substituted with  dismissal.
FINDINGS
Complainant was on probation and his  performance was not up to standard. He
was found wanting in his work and his  demeanour at work left much to be
desired.
CONCLUSION
Complaint is dismiss  as vexatious and not made in good faith under section 9
(3) (1a) of the  Ombudsman Act.

13 Would Be Migrants Released
By Fakabary  B. Ceesay
Thirteen young Gambians who failed in their attempt to sail in a  make shift
boat to the Canary Islands through Mauritania, who had been arrested  and
detained by personnel of the Immigration Department were released on  Wednesday,
29 August.
According to the dejected returnees, upon arrival at  the Amdalai border post
on Monday 27 August they were arrested and detained by  the Immigration
officers there. They claimed that they were squeezed in a cell  where they were
detained for eight hours. They said they were later transferred  to Banjul
Immigration headquarters; after which, they were moved to the old  police barracks
in Banjul and detained for three days in a hall. They complained  that the roof
of the hall was leaking so badly that rain was pouring on them as  if it were
an open place. They noted that they took finger prints of all their  ten
fingers and their names, places and dates of birth, home addresses and
photographs.
When contacted, the Immigration spokesperson, Mrs. Anita Jammeh  Sonko,
confirmed the story but said the returnees were eleven in number in their  record
file. Mrs. Jammeh told Foroyaa that the eleven young Gambians were  repatriated
from Spain through Mauritania via Senegal. She added that the reason  for
their screening was to know whether they were Gambians or not. She also
confirmed that they were detained in a hall where their details were recorded
including fingerprints. She added that they were released to go home being  confirmed
as Gambians.

Leadership Training for Women
By  Lamin Fatty
A two day training workshop was recently organized by the Women’s  Bureau in
collaboration with the National Youth Council in Basse URR and funded  by the
UNICEF Gambia.
According to Kajali Sonko, Programme Officer of  Women’s Bureau, the aims and
objectives of the two-day workshop among others was  to enhance the capacity
of women and youths to better manage their various  groups in their respective
communities and societies in general. According to  Mr. Sonko the two-day
workshop targets URR because of the fact that UNICEF new  country program of
cooperation is highly concentrated in URR than any other  region in the country.
He therefore said building the capacity of women and  youths in URR will thus
contribute to the success of the program objectives. He  advised the
participants, particularly the women to ensure that the knowledge  and skills gained is
disseminated across the society. He said they partner with  the National Youth
Council based on the recommendation from Unicef that some  institutions like
NYC must be on board since they are the sole agents for the  advancement of
youths in the country.
According to Abdoulie Faye, Programme  Officer of the National Youth Council,
women and youths constitute the highest  proportion of Gambian population
therefore building the capacity of these two  important sectors of our society is
very crucial to national development. He  urged the participants to make the
best use of the knowledge gained, stating  that without the youths, there
would be no development.
For his part the  Chairman of the Basse Area Council, Kanimang Sanneh, said a
leader in Mandinka  means people’s eye. He said the two (2) days training is
very important because  it would equip them with the knowledge and skills of
the participants. He  commended UNICEF for funding the workshop and advised the
participants to make  the best use of the knowledge acquired.
Deputizing for the P.E.O in URR, Mr.  Kinteh, said the importance of the
training is to build the capacity of the  participants. He advised them to be
attentive.
Declaring the workshop open,  the Assistant Governor of URR, Mr. Kah,
deputising for the Governor, said the  training is to equip the participants with
knowledge and skills to better manage  their Kafoo in their respective
communities. He pointed out that a leader is  somebody whom everybody is looking up to.
He said leaders therefore have to be  careful about the way they lead their
people. He expressed optimism that the two  days training would be
participatory, and urged the participants to participate  fully. He also commended UNICEF
and The Gambia government through the Women’s  Bureau for a job well done.
The chair of the  workshop was  Mr.  Edrisa Keita of the Women’s Bureau.

Scorpions Camp Today for  Algeria Cracker
By Modou Nyang
The Scorpions will today go into a six day  hibernation at the Paradise
Suites hotel to prepare for this weekend’s cracker  against Algeria.
Assistant Coach Lamin Sarr told Foroyaa-sport that the team  will be heading
to their favoured camp site at 7pm in the evening in to gather  steam for do
or die encounter on Sunday, against the Desert Foxes.
A  collection of home based players have been training under the guidance of
Coaches Lamin Sarr and Tarik Siagy before the arrival of head Coach Jose
Martinez last week. A 17 strong foreign legion of Gambian players have also been
invited to bolster the squad and they were expected to have started arriving
yesterday.
England based Edrissa Sonko and the Belgium based duo of Mustapha  Jarjue and
Assan Jatta and also, goalkeeper Musa Bajaha and Lamin Conateh all  from
Sweden, were expected to arrive on Sunday. The remaining pros will join  camp
between today and tomorrow.
Gambia must win Algeria on Sunday with a  minimum three clear goals and still
hope that Guinea lose at home to Cape Verde  at least by a single goal, for
the Scorpions to qualify for their maiden  appearance in the African Cup of
Nations. The Scorpions lost to Algeria during  the first leg in Algiers by a
controversial penalty early in the second half and  also playing most of the match
with ten men, after right back, Abu Jammeh was  red carded.
Group 8 of the Nations Cup qualifiers is still open for grabs  with either
side able to tilt the balance in their favour. Guinea are top with 8  points,
ahead of Algeria only by goal difference. Whilst Gambia and Cape Verde  are
level on 5 points each with the Scorpions topping by a better goal  margin.

SK East: Macassa, United Stars Win
By Isatou  Bittaye
On Thursday Macassa FC defeated London Celtic by a lone goal and  United
Stars overcame Kerr-gi with the same goal margin on Friday.
Macassa’s  Assan Gassama put his side through in the 29th minute intensifying
the game as  Celtic fought for an equalizer. London Celtic’s Ben-Mark Sylva
was sent  off  in the 69th minute, and Maccassa failed to make use of the
advantage  to pin their opponents further down.  But instead, Celtic put up a good
fight to level the score but ended firing off target.
Kerr-gi too, fell to  United Stars in the 18th minute through a Kawsu
Singhateh goal, handing United  their second win. On Saturday Leeds fell to Abuko
United by a heavy 3-0 defeat  and Bantaba edged Medina by a goal to nil.
On Sunday Late Alieu Ngum were in  action with Maccassa in the first match of
the day and Gamma-link were to play  Zurich in the second encounter.
Tomorrow, Tuesday, Juventus will take on BB  Rovers and Wales will play Medina on
Wednesday for the continuation of the  Serrekunda East Nawettan.

SK West: Gamstar on high Gears
By  Bakary Seedy Dampha
Gamstar made it six points over the weekend with another  defeat to Sankung
Sillah FC.
Sankung Sillah has lost all their two group D  matches so far. They lost by a
lone to Boyz United earlier on before also  falling to Gamstar on Saturday by
the same goal margin too. Modou Sarr of  Gamstar scored his side’s winner in
the 12th minute of first half. The first  match on Saturday between Saal-bi
and Pencha ended 2-0 in favour of Saal-bi.
In the other matches during the week, Kanifing Estate won Ngoyan by a lone
goal on Wednesday. And on Thursday Tigers FC drew zeroes with Manjai United. On
 Friday Kanifing also played a goalless draw with Unicorns.