GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bubacarr Sankanu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 2010 21:36:15 +0200
My Dear Cousin Haruna Darboe,

Emails from you go into my priority folder so I can read them while clearing my in-box.

1. Injustice against our Mandinkos, Fulas, the Jahankes, the Djollof, Serer, Manjako, Aku, Jolas, Toucouleur cousins and other groups mean injustice against the Sarahules. You can count on my solidarity in the fight to end the common suffering.

With Kaabu as I said the Islamization was a side effect. The Fula/Manda Sarahule solidarity was not meant to force Islam on the Kaabunkas. It was meant to end the tyranny of those Kaabunkas who were asking for heavy tributes that the Fulas found unjust. It was not a war for Islam even though it had Islamic undertones.

2. We are willing to fight and die alongside suppressed peoples who want to command their own destinies. Region and ethnic extractions are irrelevant. You can start counting the number of bloody jihadists in Black Africa from Uthman Dan Fodio to the last person who was stopped by colonialism, you will not find many prominent Sarahules among them.

We tried not to use Islam (religion) as political tool of causing havoc. During the days our Ancient Ghana Empire (older than the successive  Mandinko Mali/Manding Empire and some of the various Fula Imamates and kingdoms in Western Africa), we welcomed Muslim traders from the Maghreb and the East to our Capital Koumbi Saleh without initially embracing Islam. We later studied Islam, filtered it and then carried on with our peaceful activities. This philosophy of keeping religion out of politics is timeless.

I am not saying the Sarahules are special. Like all ethnic nationalities of the world we have our own good and bad sides.

So whether Muslims or non-Muslims, I am willing to fight alongside victims of injustices. On the contemporary religious front, non-Muslim minority followers of Native Religions are being threatened by the new wave of radical Islamic Daawa (propagation) and Christian Evangelicalism. By returning to my Pre-Islamic Roots, I have automatically cemented by solidarity with the non-Abrahamic minorities and I am ready to fight on their side up till the last drop of my blood.

3. Edward Francis Small was  not a tribalist. He was more interested in social justice for Gambians of all faiths and ethnicities than tribal politics. EF Small was a selfless nationalist who was not afraid of accepting his Aku group's decline from power in name of national cohesion.

**
My Dear Uncle Suntou, you can place millions of baits for me, I will not bite. No matter how much you try, you will only be smoking tobacco on the beach.

Look, I have been in this writing trade for at least 17 (seventeen years) now. When I hold a pen or the keyboard, words and ideas keep flowing like water. My biggest constraint now as I grow older with commitments is TIME. If at all I had the quality time I needed, I would have published at least 20 (twenty) high class books within the last decade. I have to suspend the defence of my own doctoral thesis because I do not have the quality time needed for it. Besides it is not a priority for me as I am not interested in jet-setting around as Dr. Sankanu or lobbying for colourful global jobs (palasolu). Whenever I have the time, I will defend my PhD thesis just for fun and for the maintenance of my family tradition of seeking scholastic excellence alongside commerce.

Due to the limited time, I try to squeeze things in my articles. An article of mine is, on the average, five pages long at the draft stage. By the time I am through with the proof-reading and contextual adjustments, it can go up to ten or fifteen pages. If a one-page article is too long for you, a five-page article is nothing for me.

In case you do not understand my time constraints, my last article on Jammeh's 16 years was actually intended for Jammeh's FIFTEEN (15) years in power (2009). But throughout 2009, I could not have the time to fine-tune it. Sometime in April of 2010 (this year), I got the time for it. So instead of 15 years, the final version was on Jammeh's SIXTEEN (16) years in power.

I have another draft article on homosexuality that I started after Jammeh's threats to same-sex people. But it is still on the standby modus. There are similar draft ones on our opposition politicians, the West, Islam, the informal sector and so on. My last Mandinkos article was a draft that I started during the previous online newspaper debates on tribalism in Gambia (remember the noise over the articles of Captain Samsudeen Sarr and Mawdo Mathew K. Jallow). It was during this Ramadan of 2010 that I fine-tuned and sent it to the Maafanta.com Editor. Fortunately, I had ample time widow that weekend, otherwise, the essay could have waited again.

I am not under any pressure to complete and send articles to the various Editors. I am also not looking for attention and fame from any quarter. This applies to all the areas of my professional life:

Some of my film associates wanted me to carry roles in their Nigerian and Ghanaian movies but until 2015, it will very difficult for me to be on the set of any other movie that is not being produced by me personally. I am limiting myself to the behind-the-scene work as executive producer, distributor, talent coach, adviser, festival organizer and the like (see just one or two of my many project websites below).

I also got offers to host some African TV shows in Nigeria and South Africa but I have to turn them down due to my tight schedule. From now against 2015, every week my life is fully planned with commitments and I have little room for manoeuvres. I just hope to live longer to be able to do some of the useful things I am striking off my priority lists.

Do not therefore think that I am a bluff idler and master of excuses who is afraid of and avoiding bloody punches. People are free to call me names. The person who calls me a liar has the right to do so. The one who labels be a lunatic is free to add more. The one who feels I am genius has the right to his/her judgement. The one who calls me a bluff or lousy guy has the birth to do so.

The bottom-line is that they will never change my DNA and persona: I (Prince B.A. Sankanu) am  OPEN-MINDED and I mean what I say/write and say/write what I mean.

If I can challenge the Dogma of Islam by openly expressing my return to my African Roots, what else under the sun can make me lead the life of falsehood just to appease the Establishment? My boldness and confidence might shock people but as we say in Sierra Leone “na so ifo bi! (this is how it should be). At least I am humbled by the fact that I am an opinion leader and agenda setter of the Thinking Class. For example, I spanked the Supreme Islamic Council and now it is facing wider scrutiny from other smarter commentators. Others are writing about the histories of the various ethnic groups. The Daily Observer rushed to interview Jaliba Kuyateh after reading my points on the Mandiko culture. There are other examples.

In fact why am I saying all these things when I owe no one explanations on why I am or not doing something?

Your are my Uncle Suntou and no matter how much we and all the other debaters disagree and call each other names, we will remain part of the same big family. We will never break each others' heads. We will also not be myopic by killing each other in the name of foreign religions.  No hard feelings as they say on the streets of The Gambia.

In the meantime, you can start finding answers to the question: how can the Mandinko humiliation under Jammeh be stopped? This is the simple fundamental question of my controversial Mandinko essay that is being avoided. So far all those who have been trying to silence me, beat about the bush instead of floating ORIGINAL ideas for the end to the humiliation. Some have just been copying and pasting other people's research work on Mandinkos and other ethnic groups.

Anyway, look at what I have been saying about the African Cultural Renaissance and the rediscovery of our native languages and good heritages: the Wolofs have just launched their localized (wolofnized) Google edition. My congratulations to the Wolofs. What are the Mandinkos doing about the digitization of the Mandinko language and culture? Instead of following my good advice on the advancement of the Mandinko heritage, some want me to disappear.

My time permitting, I will write something. Mr. Koroma has to wait for the piece on the Sarahule community and Jammeh until such a time I get the appropriate widow. Since I am not a member of  The Gambia Post, kindly inform Koroma about it.

Brothers Yorro Jallow and Demba Baldeh of Gainako.com, kindly accept my belated anniversary greetings. I am with you all in spirit. I started a short message full of hilarious anecdotes on my village life with the Gainakos (cattle boys) from our neighbouring Fula villages in The Gambia. Hopefully, I will not be too late in sending it to you. Otherwise, you can or not publish it as a reader's letter to the Editors.

May OSUN, our Yoruba River Goddess of Love and Fertility, fertilizes us with Wisdom!

Prince B.A. Sankanu
Afromedia Film & TV/ Sankanura Principality Studios
For Samples of completed movies:
http://www.afromediafilmandtv.net/text/text_Completed_Works.htm

Social engagement:
Sotuma Film and TV Academy, Haiti