GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 22:10:57 -0000
Ousman Ceesay,

During the Jawara era, we were known for having principles. We investigated
our cases and reported our findings. We had never been taken to court for
slander or libel. The President's Office was a subscriber to FOROYAA. We met
ministers, interviewed them and published their opinions before making our
comments. We were very critical, but very responsible. We have always
maintained the principle of not trying to be demagogues. We tried to explain
our positions rather than just ravings and ranting. Our rallies were marked
by speeches which the people could understand. This is precisely what we are
doing today.

It seems most of you find it comfortable to give the impression that we were
simply hot-heads, shouting and frowning everywhere. Researchers like Wiseman
have constantly referred to our brand of politics to be very different from
what he had seen in left oriented movements in many countries.

The way we were conducting our politics yesterday is the way we are
conducting our politics today, and in fact with greater intensity and
reception. The respect we had yesterday has even become greater in Gambian
society. We have already given evidence of the things we said when the coup
first occurred or are you just joining the L. We have already dispatched our
first letter to the coup makers and the articles which led us to be taken to
court. In my reply to Hamjatta, I will publish the declaration and petition
of the Democratic Front to call for a national conference. if you want, I
will send you a copy of the memorandum addressed to the National
Consultative Committee. I can also relay the articles we used to write to
combat the 'no election' campaign and some of the views which were expressed
in rallies organised by the AFPRC. We can also publish the letters we used
to write against the arrest of journalists, and so on and so forth.

It is better for you to point out the people who were numb. We have enough
evidence to prove that we were very systematic in what we were doing in
pursuit of the strategic objective of ensuring constitutional rule and
electoral regime in the Gambia.

When I transmit the type of work we were doing to expand the democratic
space, which my friends misconceived, you will find that your conception
that we were numb is utterly misconceived. Where evidence is available,
misconception is inconceivable. It is just a matter of time, Ousman. It is
just a matter of time. The dust will soon settle and all of us will look at
truth squarely in the face.

Greetings.

Halifa Sallah.