GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 08:50:00 EDT
Mr Jobe,
              I agree with you that we must respect the people's choice made
freely. My contention is the choice here is not a simple and outright mandate
for MR Cham but rather a default win that is the result of vote selling by
gullible supporters of his opponent. If we want to objectively analyze the
poll for Kiang , we must point to that crucial aspect of the bye-election. It
is not ridiculous for anyone to say over a thousand registered voters did not
vote on this fateful Saturday for any reason other than the fact that they
sold their constitutionally mandated role in political process for D25. If
you disagree with that conclusion, please advance the reasons you believe to
account for over a thousand people known to be registered and resident in
these villages not voting for either candidate. If the voters in their
totality in a district choose a candidate freely and of their own volition,
all those who advocate a free and democratic Gambia must not only accept that
verdict, but must heartily congratulate the winner because such an outcome
would be a clear vindication of the system we all yearn for. Despite my
loathing of the APRC, I am steadfast in my belief that voters who freely and
fairly elect them, are entitled to their misrule.
Karamba