GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 14:53:31 EDT
In a message dated 10/14/2001 1:03:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I am baffled as to what the difference is between what Darboe is alleged to
> have said and when jammeh threatens civil servants with the sack if they
> discriminate in the performance of their duties based on party affiliation
> as he once did in Bansang?

Gassa,

I am waiting for clarification on this as it is not clear if it is the public
display of one's party affiliation on the job is what is cause for dismissal
of civil servants, or if this also applies to this display off the job. It is
not clear from the post by Ebrima Ceesay's sources  whether the "asobis" were
worn on the job ( which I think would be utterly silly anyway) or off the job
and these people were then recognized on the street as employees of a
particular government agency by others when this statement was made? I think
this jurisprudence applies if the "asobis" were worn on the job which is not
clear. Haruna's response alsoe does not state when this applies.

I will add here that Jammeh on the other hand, has extended his intimidation
and coercion of civil servants far beyond any rule of law by threatening them
with firing them and coecing them into joining the APRC and indeed firing
them for their party affiliations, in addition to having village chiefs and
Alkalos attempt to coerce their constituents on his behalf. So one cannot
even attempt to consider Yayas case here since he as been operating   largely
outside the law in almost every aspect as far as his treatment of theGambian
public is concerned. He has done it all and that statement regarding the
Bansang hospital employees would probably be seen as just another excuse to
fire  civil servants, and probably was. His credibility was compromised a
long time ago Gassa.

Jabou Joh