GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
edrissa njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 10:02:05 -0000
Good day L'ers,
Prior to the by-elections and after, I have been reading and re-reading  all
the interesting and informative analysis of the political situation back
home. There are a number of pertinent points which have been brought up and
which must be addressed:
1.      Like someone rightly said, (I think it was Kebba), we are dealing with
vermin that will do anything to stay in power: look at the amount of
electoral manipulations; vote buying, intimidation, etc.
2.      How can we combat the overwhelming financial advantage of the ruling
party?
3.      There is a need to continue educating the electorate on voting issues to
see beyond personalities and tribalism.
4.       There must be opposition  "Unity" if we want to effect changes in The
Gambia.
5.       There is disappointment at PDOIS  not being an effective factor in the
by-elections. PDOIS has a lot contribute but one keeps praying that they
will move from theory to practice before the Presidential elections! Through
FOROYAA , they are disseminating information  but as an L'er  pointed out
one sometimes wishes they would publish a simple leaflet, in simple English
that can be absorbed  by the ordinary man in the street!
       Please let us now look for solutions. Ousting Yaya can be done
through the ballot box. There is a lot of work to be done before then. I was
in Banjul about three months ago. People are "MUTE" on political issues.
There are no issues being debated publicly in general or even among friends
or family One gets the impression that people are giving up or have given
up! If the general elections are rigged, (and all indications are they will
be rigged), are Gambians prepared to oust Yaya  in Gbagbo fashion,(Cote
d'Ivoire)  or a la Milisevic??? I have my doubts.
Let us put heads together and come up with practical solutions . I have
heard reactions like: Oh you people who are out of the country, its easy for
you to sit back and from the comfort of your homes , "prescribe" solutions
for us. In the meantime, we are the ones suffering on the ground!
What can WE do to dispel such attitudes? The initiative of  catting with
opposition leaders on line is laudable. We can begin to be in touch with
them  and know what they are really after.
I look forward to tactful, down-to-earth solutions. We should not get caught
up in too much rhetoric, time is running out. Lets develop strategies
together and have all the practical input  for solutions that will effect
changes. Thank you.
Edrissa.
This is my first contribution to the L.