GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
joe sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 15:49:00 GMT
Halifa, thanks for your well thought-out analyses of events as they unfold
in The Gambia.  Your opening statement, “When The Seed Of National Discord
Is Sown, A Bumper Harvest Of National Disintegration Is Reaped.  Governance
in a Sovereign Republic is about people”, strikes at the very heart of our
problem, which I will refer to here as “The Gambian Problem” on a micro
level and “The African Problem” on a macro level.

The Republic of the Gambia is a legal entity created by citizens of The
Gambia, to act on their collective wishes, for the collective good, without
favor or partiality to any of its citizens and on the flip side to also, not
discriminate against any.  To execute this contract which was created by a
national consensus, through the electoral process (the jury is out on
whether the last election was free and fair), custodians were chosen to
manage our affairs.  Thus, the reason why we call it: government of the
people, because power resides with the people; by the people, because
members of the society are entrusted with that power to represent the wishes
of its investors; and for the people, because collectively, and all things
constant, the arrangement should benefit all.  However, implicit in this
arrangement, the citizens reserve the right to revoke that trust should the
custodians breach that trust.  How come then, we find ourselves in our
current situation?  Well, our presidents in the Gambia and most African
countries, have two contracts in mind when running for office: the one being
what they think the people want to hear and the other, the one they will
implement once seated.  Thus, they are above the law, own the resources of
the people, and reserve the option to tyrannize the people for life.  It
happens all over our continent.  The instrument that holds this arrangement
together for them is the “Patron Client Relationship” that exist between
them and a section of the population, such as, the July 22 and Military
Thugs of our day, solo performers like the Baba Jobes, and the rodents
abound.

It is not surprising within this context, then, to hear Yahya talk of
burying anyone with opposing views, or the July 22 Rodents feed his thirst
for mayhem, for you can take the chicken out of the country, but you can
never take the country out of the chicken.  The moment of truth for all
progressive Gambians has come and we either walk the talk or hush up.  If we
are true to our calling, Yahya and his entire cabinet will be voted out come
2001.  I can see folks shaking their heads wondering what has gotten of me.
Well, I am level headed and I also have confidence in the power of the
people, and Senegal is exhibit one of many examples.  You can only lead when
you have followers.  If the people truly believe they do not want the status
quo, no amount of weaponry can make them, and our will to survive slavery is
a testament to that spirit.  We as a people should not place the burden on a
Halifa Sallah or any one individual, for Gambia is the sum total of its
citizens, of which Halifa is one of.  What we are asking of Halifa, is
essentially why we had Kukoi, and now Yahya, the only difference being, we
did not explicitly request their (kukoi and Yahya) service.  They acted on
what they perceived was our wish.  Precisely, the reason why Yahya in his
delusional capacity thinks we owe him and should be grateful to him for
life.  We are good at waiting for a “Sacrificial Lamb”.  When they fail, we
end up with a Kukoi aftermath, and when they succeed, enter Yahya.
Therefore, we should each take stock of our level of conviction and ask
ourselves thus:  what is our freedom worth to us?  Are we willing to
sacrifice our worth to gain our freedom?  Are we fearful of nothing, but
fear itself?  Are we ready to uphold our principles against all odds?  If
the answer to all the above is an unequivocal yes, then my friends we are
enroute to victory.  However, if we have any reservations or hesitation to
the affirmative, then we are not ready and do not have what it takes to
persevere.  Let us not look to what others can do, but rather, what we
(self) can do to liberate our collective soul.  I am not concerned about
what Yahya is going to do come 2001, but rather, whether we as a people are
ready and willing to bring the Leviathan down.  If we truly want him and his
rodents out, then victory is a foregone conclusion.  FOLKS, LET’S SET OUR
EYES ON THE PRIZE.  Halifa, thanks again for your observations.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou