GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Malanding S. Jaiteh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 13:10:52 -0400
Ms Diop:
 It is good you bring this up once more.

Mr. Sanneh:  thanks for the synopsis. It is indeed assuring to learn that
the study is completed and the government is working very hard to implement
the recommendations. Where do you think I can get a copy of the Consultancy
Report?

I could remember when the topic surfaced on the L last year, one of our
Gambian geologists and an expert in the subject gave us a crash course on
global extent of the phenomenon and the possible links to greater
environmental problems (global warming, sea-level rise, etc). This was in
reponse to my veiw that an important element in the Gambia coastal erosion
equation (one that I think may have been overlooked) is landuse particularly
on either sides of the estuary. Perhaps I should at this stage declare that
my view at the time was and remains largely speculative as there is no
scientific evidence or study that I know of to support it.

The view is that land use along the coast may be playing a much larger role
than natural forces of sea leve rise, El NiNO and global warming as Yero
Mama and others may be suggesting. Specifically the development of
structures such as the Ferry terminal and GPMB facility in Barra may have
had the unintensional consequences of breaking the natural currents that
drive the erosion and deposition around the estuary. Over the years one
cannot fail to notice the creation of new land on the north side of the
estuary (Barra in particular). This area may be as large as the area lost on
the south side (Banjul and the surrounding). In short the recommendation to
dredge around Barra and fill around Banjul may be attempting just that.

Perhaps, I should declare that my expertise is in landuse and land cover
change and not in coastal erosion. Thus my view that the issue is overlooked
and any lasting solution to the problem must include a holistic land use
plan on both north and south of the estuary.

Once again let me say that this is no more than speculation. It would
require some serious study to even understand the natural processes of
erosion  and deposition along the estuary much more how landuse change such
as development of structures like two mentioned  above impact these
processes and their consequences.
  .

Malanding Jaiteh