GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 07:52:25 EDT
Gambia-L:
    Will someone please tell Jammeh supporters like Mafy, Tombong and one EB
that Gambia-L is as democratic as democratic could conceivably be practised
in it's most idealistic notion. I have been long enough a member of this List
to testify that no one has ever been denied speaking their minds even if it
means they are merely patronising Jammeh for their own personal growth or
acting as toadies. So what's all this sanctimonious hectoring about the List
managers being undemocratic in their endeavours concerning this? Maybe I'm in
the dark about something here? Could someone fill me in?
    If the case of Matarr is what peeved the daylights out of Mafy to
erroneously allude undemocratic proclivities to this List then he has yet to
show a good sign that he has an ingenious way of judging disputes. At any
rate, Matarr's behaviour was that of a morally depraved sexual misfit for
pouring so much vitriolic insults on amongst others Katim, Saul, et al and at
times their mothers. How can anyone contest the delisting of such a
character? Or better still advocate for his resubscription to the List? The
fact that Matarr can't simply put forward his points without resorting to
vitriolic purgation, disqualifies him from any decent civilised forum where
free speech is welcomed. But why is Mafy so peeved with Matarr's delistment?
Could it be that Matarr is another who subscribes to Jammeh's irrational and
naive Pan Africanist sentiments and would chose to defend him at all costs
even if it reeks of illogicism?
I have on several occasions received private mails from Matarr himself
especially when I defended Jammeh's pants; his right to privacy vis-a-vis the
case of his supposedly "third wife" and the Independent newspaper. He
mistakenly took my robust defence of Jammeh's privacy as a sign that I'm in
the Jammeh camp. Unlike them I have a very open mind and very objective way
of looking at reality. Whilst I detested what Jammeh is hell bent on doing to
the Gambia, I always give him his dues. If only some of them show such
maturity in their thinking.
    On Tombong, isn't it a matter of ironic wit that he complains of being
denied his right to be heard or is constantly heckled online when he presides
over a tax payer maintained Radio and Television services where acting as
Jammeh's lickspittle, he carry out directives and policy drives that deny the
tax payer value for their taxes and for their real voices to be hear? Tombong
ain't it a bit rich of you to complain of democracy on Gambia-L? You who
still deny Gambians of all shade and colour to enjoy their views being heard
on a public property? Alas GRTS is supposedly Jammeh's and only those in the
Jammeh club are entitled to be heard on this tax payer maintained public
properties. But it is always fitting and convenient for you to complain of
Gambia-L being anti-Jammeh. Well, it was never imposed on anyone to be anti
Jammeh; those who express their outrage of Jammeh's brutality didn't chose so
because Katim or anyone else for that matter imposed it upon them as
prerequisite before joining Gambia-L. And in the end please juxtapose the
free exchange of ideas on this List and the moribund enforced dull conformism
that exists on GRTS and the Gambia Daily. If you can still call Gambia-L
undemocratic without the twitching of a muscle in your face, then I will know
for real that you are the most two faced person ever! Tombong one must
practise what one preaches. Go practise real democracy on GRTS and stop this
whingeing about Gambia-L being undemocratic!
    On this EB chappie, I have little to say cos he is the most timorous of
the Jammeh bunch who are shifting uncomfortably in their slumbers. His last
posting belatedly denouncing the brutal slaughter of school kids by Jammeh's
trigger happy loutish philistines speaks volumes of classic double standards.
When attention is being turned to those who maintained their silences whilst
the blood of school children ran like a river in the Gambia, he should crops
up Mafy Jarju style and denounces it stopping short of blaming Jammeh
himself. Well, EB to save you cringing in case you are quizzed about who
ordered the shooting of these children, it was Jammeh himself who ordered
they should not be tolerated if they dare go out demonstrate. This is the
irrefutable reality.
    To all of you whingeing here about democratic principles, save your
breath. If the level of tolerance that is on Gambia-L is being exercised in
the same manner in the Gambia, we wouldn't be mourning the murder of school
children. Or keep hearing people like Shyngle Nyassi would be tortured for
not believing in the criminal idea sentimental claptrap that Jammeh has come
to resurrect "the Jola nation", whatever that is supposed to mean, and all
Jola speaking people should rally behind him.
    What is of significance though, is that amicably we agree to disagree and
remember that our deeds of today will determine tomorrow. If we are really
interested in creating a future for our children that wouldn't force them no
tot leave their home lands and loved ones for better deals abroad, then we
must be conscientious and above all be rigourous in our defence of the truth
whilst hypocrisy and self serving tendencies take the backstage. Lets chew on
this.
    To Katim, you have shown leadership qualities in delisting George for his
puerile misdemeanours and re-emphasising that morals are indeed upheld here
like in any decent civilised community. In acting the way you did, you have
won my admiration and proven Gambia-L's critics wrong again. If only the
barbarous regime back home practises the same qualities, we would be talking
of different things as of the future of our country.
    To George Sarr aka Machiavelli [Makavelli] please remember in the end,
the means doesn't always justify the end. If you had read Machiavelli's
political thought more, you would notice the most stringent regime he placed
as a prerequisite before a dose cynicism/questinable means could be used as a
tool for campaigns to meet a political end. Please do not give the likes of
Tombong an angle to hold over our heads. Stay true bro...... I feel you. You
will be missed.
Wishing y'all a blissful weekend.
Hamjatta Kanteh

hkanteh