GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2007 12:14:36 +0200
Sir Cornelius Edward Hamelberg!

Strange? I believe not... Could the simple explanation to your confusing the
mail you replied to be that you have invariably associated my name with
Zimbabwe and just clicked on and replied to a mail that has to do with
Zimbabwe?

I did not even finish reading the email you responded to earlier; as soon as
I caught the drift of the email, I deleted it so I could not have responded
to it, thus my suspicion that you've associated me with "Zimbabwe".

Unlike many who saw Mugabe as the devil only after the West intensified it's
demonisation, I have had my fervent position since the late 90's. As far as
I am concerned, the catch word here is Justice.

You see, when an illiterate person suffering from malaria goes to visit a
doctor, all that person can explain about his/her ailment is the symptoms:
fever, headache, vomiting, etc. These are all symptoms of malaria but the
"cause" could be something else, so the doctor may need to perform some
tests to ascertain the "cause" before prescribing a course of treatment.

What you and many others, including the closet fascist, Carl Bildt, are
reiterating over and over and over and over again are all symptoms, not the
"cause" of Zimbabwe's problems.

I have forwarded two very comprehensive articles on the "cause" of Zimbabwe
penned by individuals far more articulate than I. Have you taken the time to
read and digest them? If you have and still continue to list symptoms as the
"cause" of Zimbabwe's problems I'm afraid I can't help you!

It is left to you to open up your mind and shed the colonial shackles. What
is good for the goose cannot after all be bad for the gander, can it? What
is good for Europeans cannot be bad for Africans. Africans too can do with
some decent living conditions, something that will be hard to come by when
everything in your country is "owned" by people whose only interest in to
siphon away the basis upon which such conditions can be built. If the
history of Zimbabwe began in 1980 one can understand, but for a Black
African to ignore all the injustices: theft of land, confiscation of cattle,
internment, forced labour etc., that Blacks took up arms to fight against
and won, with agreements to repossess the land, only for such agreements to
be reneged upon, and instead focus and amplify the symptoms that ensue when
the aggrieved party seeks to to to impliment that broken agreement, makes no
sense to me at all.

On Kabir, if you asked me last year if I knew of him, my answer would have
been no. I stumbled upon a website dedicated to him only earlier this year.
The man lived in his time, the 14th century and his ancestors never suffered
colonial oppression, the magnitude of which me and mine have. This Kabir is
Black (African) and lives now, so excuse me if I can't see the association
beyond name. We are all the sum of our collectives experiences.

Regards,

Kabir.