GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 11:07:11 EST
In a message dated 1/28/01 10:40:51 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

 Anyway, below is the Petition letter I have put together, so let the
 "elders" on the Gambia-L decide whether we should go ahead with this.  If
 there is a consensus, then let George Sarr put it up, with his usual
 computer wizardry !

 Ebrima Ceesay >>
**********************************

Ebrima,

You are right, a consensus from the people is the American way, and a
petition signed by those concerned is a good method to do it, so let us make
sure we put our signatures on there people.

 However, I want to suggest that we send the petition not only to Johnny
Ford, but to the organization that is putting together this event. We should
get the email address of the organization and  mailing address and send them
the petition as well ( and I can mail it to them if i have the address).

One good way to avoid sending a barrage of emails ( if people are opposed to
this) can be to compile the signatures and then send one email with all
signatures on if this is possible. I will let George Sarr tell us if this is
possible.

On the other hand, I know that American politicians are entirely used ot
receiving thousands of emails from their consttuents expressing their
opinion, and believe me they are used to this. Infact, all of them now have
in place a service that will receive and respond to these emails, as well as
compile it for them as it is a tool that tells them how their constituents
feel about certain issues , and how they make sure their votes represent the
opinions of their constituents. Any ploitician who ignores this is committing
political suicide because email has become an easy medium for the people here
to put in their two cents as opposed to writing a letter.

 Also, this way, representative Ford will not be innundated with emails nor
will he  have to be the one to explain it to the other members of his
organization, and it will be something the entire body (at least the portion
that is here in the U.S) will have to address  this issue as a whole.
Just a suggestion.

Jabou Joh