GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ceesay, Soffie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2006 10:06:51 -0400
Forwarded Message -
________________________________

PRESS STATEMENT

BY OMAR A. JALLOW OF NADD

As we count down to the general election in a few days time, I like to first of all reiterate my last press statement of Friday 1st September in which I pledge my continuing and resolute support to the National Alliance for Democracy and Development (NADD); its principles and its objectives. I continue to subscribe to the raison d'皻re for the creation of NADD and I strongly believe that it remains the only credible force in Gambia's current political landscape that can deliver our country from its present predicaments.

I also like to once again declare my unwavering support for the Presidential candidate for NADD, Hon. Halifa Sallah, the Chairman of the Alliance Landing Jallow Sonko and each and every member of his most able executive committee; the Youth Militant Forum; the Women's wing of the Alliance and the entire membership who have all worked tirelessly over the years to build this very progressive modern organization.

Personally I am very proud to be part of this very forward-looking institution and I am truly honoured to have contributed to its many successes so far. NADD represents the future in Gambian politics and I urge every Gambian voter to cast their vote in support of the National Alliance for Democracy and Development NADD, in the forthcoming presidential election; not least because a vote for NADD is a vote for integrity, progressive leadership and genuine democratic values.

I was elected to the executive committee of NADD at its inception and I remain a member of the same executive committee. Unfortunately as some of you may have learnt, I recently had to be admitted to the Westfield Clinic in the Gambia following a rapid deterioration of my health. I was subsequently flown to London on the advice of doctors who treated me at the Westfield hospital in Gambia, my family, friends and colleagues; after medical prognosis raised some concerns for my long term health and wellbeing. Consequently, my contribution to the current campaigning is restricted by distance and what my recovering health will permit.

Notwithstanding the distance however, I am in constant and daily touch with my colleagues on the campaign trail and I am abreast of all and every developments as they happen from my health retreat here in the UK. I continue to rally our support base by telephoning voters and local leaders in the various constituencies, right across the country.

Those who follow my political activities and education since the military coup of 1994 would by now have been convinced of my single minded determination to challenge this governments' shameful record on governance and human rights, and my unshakable motivation to speak out against an established culture of impunity and endemic corruption within the despotic AFPRC/APRC government. I will continue to challenge, condemn and were necessary speak out against the government of the day, whenever they violate our collective or individual human rights, ignore or defy the national constitution and commit acts of violence and treachery against the Gambian people.

Between 1994 to date, Gambians have witnessed the 20 separate incidents of my illegal incarceration, by the AFPRC/APRC government, sometimes along with my colleagues, most times alone. During these frequent prison spells I have been tortured and my human rights violated. Members of my family and my friends continue to be victims of constant harassment and victimization in the hands of this government.

Incidentally, I have also since 1994 been approached on several occasions with monetary inducements and the promise of any government position that takes my fancy, to join the AFPRC/APRC government. I refused each and every time. My motivation for being in politics has never been for material gains or position for position sake. I have always nurtured a genuine desire to do the right thing on behalf of the people that entrusted me with their confidence and mandated me to represent them.

I want to assure my friends, colleagues and supporters that I remain committed to the course for the total emancipation of the Gambian people. I signed the MOU that established NADD and I remain steadfast, as a matter of principle to uphold my signed declaration of commitment to the organization, but also because I strongly believe in the efficacy of the Alliance to promote democracy the rule of law and economic progress for all Gambians.

In ending this press release, I also wish to reassure all concerned well-wishers; those who visited me at the Westfield hospital, those who sent envoys and messages of goodwill; supporters of NADD; everyone who telephoned, emailed and visited me in the United Kingdom and the wider community, that I continue to make gradual but steady progress in my recovery and the medical outlook is now very good. I look forward to a time very soon, when I will return to continue the struggle to liberate the Gambia from the clutches of tyranny and despotism.

I extend my deepest appreciation and gratitude to everyone who has supported me through this trying time and I remain your dedicated servant in the public interest.

Should anyone want to contact me urgently, I can be reached on ++44 (0)7731647980.

Omar Amadou Jallow (OJ)

NADD Executive Member

中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中

中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中