GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 16:59:36 +0100
Hamjatta,

I was just going through the printouts for today before giving a response to
some of the letters. I just cannot believe that you will continue to
attribute to us positions that are diametrically oppose to what we have
already exposed with overwhelming vividness in the L.

Your wrote: "#Well, if you read my answer above, you will realize that
whilst PDOIS still has faith in the current political arrangements and
indeed, fanatically pursues it, I have stated that the current arrangements
are not only fundamentally flawed, but are discredited, bankrupt and
corrupted and therefore, no genuine changes can come out of it. Whilst they
haven't made up their mind yet on AGITATION, I have already said we have got
to start AGITATING. NOW! Infact we are getting late with the AGITATION."

This is just incredible. Let me quote the closing passages of our last
posting and leave the readers to compare what we indicated and what you
posted today. I will rest my case until you respond to my posting.

We wrote: "At least, as far as PDOIS is concerned, we cannot prevent
takeovers from above, but no one can find us guilty of promoting a takeover
of power from above or its consolidation from above. We have always been
trying to strengthen the people irrespective of who is above, knowing that
when the
people truly become conscious of their power they will need no political
saviours. They will save themselves. This is the fact you are trying to
distort about PDOIS' record and this is the fact you will never be able to
distort.

In our view, it is left to Jammeh to determine how his government will go.
We see elections to be a tool through which the people can express their
consent. Gambians have the capacity to form a united front to ensure that
the IEC conducts elections whose results all parties would be able to
accept, failing which all parties will act in unison to put pressure on that
government to concede to popular demands or leave office.

What PDOIS is, therefore, doing is to try to get those people on board who
have faith in the people and who are ready to do painstaking work by relying
on persuasion and reason, to use your own words, to enlighten, mobilise and
organise the people for change. Other forms of pressure come as dictated by
circumstances and not as a by-product of conspiracy to take over power from
above by few persons in the name of the masses.

Needless to say, where other forms of pressure lead to a change of
government, PDOIS will never accept a position in any such government until
there is an election for it to seek the mandate of the people. PDOIS'
history shall never be linked to the taking over of power by the few. It
shall always be linked to an attempt to empower the people mentally,
politically, economically, socially and culturally. This is the crux of the
matter."

Greetings.

Halifa