GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:04:10 EDT
First, the superficial. Gambians tend to underestimate the extent to which
Jammeh's acute inferiority complex dictates his state of mind and subsequent
actions. I mean who would have thought that Tombong's sacking would become
inevitable when he committed the grave and unpardonable error of misspelling
in such a conspicuous manner in a forum where the APRC's mediocrity is
decried? One would have hoped for it; but it never crossed my mind that
Tombong and Jammeh would part company in a such farcical way. Another
superficiality to this comic-drama is how the point has now been driven home
that Tombong was never deserving of all the positions of influence he
occupied since he sycophantly and hypocritically embraced the AFPRC and later
the APRC. The man cannot even spell properly the word "decree" and completed
the faux pas by even failing to spell properly his political benefactor's
name. And this is the man entrusted with Jammeh's propaganda machinery;
having been once appointed a Charges d' Affaires at the Gambian embassy in
Washington.

 Even if it were to be the case that Tombong has been spared after some
intervention on his behalf - as is been said in some quarters - the mere fact
that word has reached the public domain that his head has been rolled or
expected to be rolled is by itself enough of a tell-tale farce that
choreographs the mediocrity that is the APRC. The shame of this low-life
mediocrities representing us on the international scene for the past seven
years is simply unbearable. I once told a friend that if i were a bus company
director and Tombong applies for a job as a ticket conductor, i will hesitate
to employ him; and even if i do, i will condition him to get a proper
part-time evening classes to know better what is expected of him as a bus
conductor! The level of mediocrity within this regime shames all Gambians.
After Jammeh has been emptied into the dustbin of history, we must ask
ourselves: how did this abject level of mediocrity come to represent the
Gambia and survive all these years?

Tombong's sacking is not all superficial. It has wider ramifications than
just Tombong picking up his P45 and joining the unemployment queue. Tombong's
sacking signifies the intense pressure and sheer panic Jammeh's "re-election"
team is under to produce a miracle for a candidate who is increasingly losing
numbers to the Alliance. Most importantly, this shows the extent to which the
APRC is engulfed by crisis upon crisis as they try to figure out what it is
that continues to propel the momentum that continues to build up against
them. In short, Tombong's unceremonious departure merely helps make the point
that the APRC ship is sinking fast and Jammeh is finished - kaput!!!

Deep throat has it that even top lieutenants of the moron like Yankuba Touray
are having their share of the repercussions  a manic-stricken Jammeh: the
moron is continually harangued by Jammeh for his [Jammeh's] current abysmal
"re-election" prospects and popularity free-fall; and demanding an immediate
political miracle or more heads will roll. The next head expected to roll is
that of Fatoumatta Jahumpa Ceesay's. Jammeh largely holds her responsible for
the gross foreign policy blunder of granting top British diplomat, Bharat
Joshi, persona non grata in that it was Jahumpa Ceesay who first attacked
Bharat publicly for the latter's attendance of an Opposition press briefing.
We pray that they never cease frantically grabbing each others throat and
continue their internecine warfare. More than ever, Gambians are prepared to
tell them in their most strident voice ever that they want out of the APRC
imposed dictatorship and all that it has come to resemble for the past seven
years. Nothing will change our minds on this resolution. I mean nothing, and
nothing at all. Seven years of political, social and economic decadence,
misery and plundering of our scarce resources is just enough. Enough is
enough!

 It appears that they are now hedging all their bets on doing a 1996-style
electoral fraud to maintain themselves in power. Well, need we say again that
nothing short of total anarchy is the only way for them wriggle themselves
out of their current quagmire; even then they won't have a country left to
govern. No Gambian will tolerate this madness again. No Gambian is ready to
bear hunger, infringement of your inviolable basic liberties and economic
freedoms again only for Jammeh and the APRC to perpetuate themselves
continually and illegally in power any longer. Seven years is long and hard
enough. It is time decent folks reclaim their country back. It is about time
that Gambian families that were seperated as a result of the foisting of this
political madness on them, be re-united again. Seven long hard years of
seperation is enough. On October 18th, all that should come to an abrupt end.
And decent Gambians - like any decent human being in any civilised polity -
should start enjoying their inviolable political, social and economic
freedoms again after seven long hard years of the terroristic and decadent
AFPRC/APRC regime.

Hamjatta Kanteh