GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
omar joof <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 11:45:23 +0000
Mr Jallow,
I thank you very much for being constuctive this time. I bet you are aware
that I left the Gambia after April 10th/11th 2000 and went to live in exile
in Senegal. While in Dakar I was hosted by RADDHO, one of the best known
Human Rights organizations in Africa.
Your theory based on reconciliation could not apply in the case of Senegal
because, as of polling date in 2000, the P.S. had been so fragmented by
Abdou Joof's act of regarding Tanor Jeng as his heir apparent, that there
was virtual internal party dissent. You can imagine a situation where
ex-comrades take up arms against each other and a large chunk of the party
faithful were drawn away by Mustapha Niass and others who completely broke
away to form their own parties. Meanwhile, the veterants in opposition were
brought together by their determination to kick out the P.S. regime by all
means. Some of them obviously knew the old tricks that the ancient regime
used to play at elections. There was therefore an action plan as to what to
do if in case Abdou Joof was declared victor. They were almost certain he
could not win, for as Abdoulie Wadd said in the run-up to the second round
of elections, " It was arithmetically impossible for Abdou Joof to win".
General Lamin Ceesay's book which  was written in the immediate post
"changement/alternance" era, depicts that critical moment when Abdou Joof
had to make that crucial decision of accepting defeat and making his exit in
peace, or hanging on and trying to legitimize illegitimacy, and obviously
facing mayhem. Unfortunately, I am not aware of an English translation, but
it should be recommended reading for us as we move towards 2006.
I thank you for your understanding and interest.
Omar Joof.