GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
panderry mbai <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 2006 22:19:39 +0000
     INDEPENDENT OBSERVER NEWS MEDIA NETWORK
   BOMBSHELL AT NADD-DARBOE PART WITH NADD- OPPOSITION SUPPORTERS "SHOCKED" CALLING THE MOVE AS "RETROGRESSIVE"

           BY PA NDERRY M'BAI

  Leader of Gambia's United Democratic Party UDP'S Ousainou Darboe, has resigned from the new opposition National Alliance For Democracy and Development NADD. Darboe, who had not been attending NADD meetings in recent times today handed his bombshell letter, announcing his intention of parting with the much talked about opposition coalition.  In what was described as a major shake up in NADD Darboe, told his colleagues that he had decided to call it a day with NADD and that his decision was contained in a sealed letter.

  His resignation was greeted with shock and disbelief amongst  his opposition colleagues, at a time when local observers say there  is growing demand for change of political leadership in the tiny West African country. Darboe, according to our usual well placed NADD sources had refused to agree on some of the issues set aside by his colleagues on the issue of the controversial flag bearer position. Darboe, twice failed Presidential contender against incumbent President Yahya Jammeh, is said to be still harbouring interest in the Presidency.

  Independent Observer News Media Network, was reliably informed that following his resignation Darboe, had opted to "apply fresh as UDP leader." This according to our sources will enable him to  contest for the Presidency under UDP ticket, as NADD is considered as  as legally registered political party in The Gambia. Under the current political U turn, UDP is also required to register their party with the Independent Electoral Commission to take part in any future elections.

  Darboe's resignation followed an editorial ran by this Editor in the recent past that the UDP big gun was on the verge of withdrawing from NADD. At the hills of the Darboe's planned withdrawal from NADD, some UDP fans including Darboe himself down played the report describing it as unfounded. But today, we are vindicated by the test of time. As we indicated time and time, our sources are unimpeachable and we will never doubt their credibility.

  While, the NADD leadership and the entire country, are today "shocked" by Darboe's move, the APRC under the leadership of Jammeh are jubilating in their rooms. Their wish for the opposition to disintegrate had materialised. But the questions that comes to mind are: What will Darboe gain to abandon his colleagues at this time of the struggle? Who instigated him to part with NADD? Was this the promised  made to his supporters, when he signed the MOU? Is he not guilty of betraying the trust and confidence reposed on him by NADD supporters?  More questions than answers.

  A NADD insider who spoke to this medium on condition of anonymity described Darboe's move as an attempt to cripple NADD. "It is really  unfortunate that Darboe is taking such a backward political move. We have disappointed the people, because of our own selfish ends. NADD remains in the absence of Darboe, but it is not going to be stronger, as  it should be. Darboe, had his own agenda, which is to be the leader of NADD come what may."said the NADD insider.

  Attempts to reach Halifa Sallah, coordinator of NADD for comments failed as he was said to be at the airport to see off his wife, who was supposed to leave for France. But NADD insiders confirmed Darboe's resignation.

  It would be recalled that the US based pro democracy group The Save The Gambia Democracy and Development  Project had spent a significant amount of money in the recent past, just to ensure that NADD becomes a success story. With this latest development, it appears that Darboe's move is not the least helping their quest for democratic change in The Gambia. "All our hopes and past expenses to keep NADD going had been put in the drains. This is really shocking"said a strong NADD supporter.

  In another developments, unimpeachable sources hinted that NRP'S Hamat Bah, will  likely team up with the UDP to form a coalition. Sources say Bah, had privately expressed strong reservations on the move taken by his colleague Dullo Bah to second OJ'S nomination.  We shall keep our readers posted about developments....