GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 14:23:02 +0100
Gambia-l,
Are the Fire Service personnel now doing the duties of the Police
Force?
The following story is from today's issue of Observer at
www.qanet.gm.

My condolences to the family of this student.

I understand that Tombong Saidy is a member of the executive of
Amnesty International in The Gambia. Tombong, what are you
doing about such violations?

Momodou Camara

The Daily Observer Published Sunday, 12 March, 2000

  STUDENT BEATEN TO DEATH

Ebrima Barry, 19, a grade 10 student of Forster's Senior
Secondary School in Brikama died on Thursday March 9, following
torture by personnel of the Brikama Fire Service station.

Ebrima Barry, a resident of Brikama was said to have been
arrested on Wednesday March 8, whilst in school by some
personnel of the Brikama Fire Service, after he was said to have
failed to comply with sitting arrangements in his class.

Ebrima Barry was reportedly arrested following a complaint filed by
one of his teachers Mr Paul, that Ebrima Barry failed to comply
with his instruction.

Talking to the Daily Observer, Botto Sanneh, Ebrima Barry's
mother said while she was sitting on her verandah, Ebrima came
shivering with his head covered.

She said she then followed Ebrima Barry into the room, where
Ebrima told her of the maltreatment inflicted on him by some Fire
Service personnel.

She said Ebrima Barry told her that the fire service personnel
ordered him to carry 60 bags of cement, which he did. He said they
later took his shirt off, poured water on him and started beating
him.  They kicked him and stuffed cement in his month and asked
him to swallow it," Mrs Sanneh alleged.  She said her son died as
a result of the alleged torture inflicted on him by the Fire Service
personnel.

Alieu Barry, Ebrima Barry's father said that when he visited the
Brikama Fire Service station to look for his son after he was told
that the son was there, "a top Fire Service official said my son was
rude, because he insulted his teacher.  The official told me they
would instil discipline in Ebrima Barry and shave his hair."

Alieu Barry said he appealed to the teacher, Mr Paul, a Sierra
Leonean to exercise mercy on his son who was suspended for
three weeks.  He said the suspension was later reduced to one
week.

When contacted, Mr Colley, the station officer at Brikama Fire
Service said "I am not in the position to comment on the story. I
was not present at the time of the incident."

Asked who were the fire personnel who witnessed the incident, Mr
Colley said he doesn't know.  He referred our reporters to the
Officer Commanding at Bundung Police Station, who could not be
reached for comments.

A police spokesman at Brikama Police station said a team of detectives from Brikama station were deployed to the Brikama Fire Service station to investigate the death of Ebrima Barry.

According to our source, Ebrima Barry filed a complaint at the Brikama Police station shortly after he was assaulted by the Fire Service personnel.

Our sources said Ebrima died at the Brikama Health Centre.  He was escorted to the health centre by a police officer.

A source close to the Barry family said "this is an act of barbarism.  The murderers of Ebrima Barry should not be allowed to go scot free.  They have taken the law into their own hands and they should be brought to book.
  Law enforcement agents are not expected to take the law into their own hands with impunity."

Students protest

Meanwhile, on Friday, some angry students of Forster's Senior
Secondary School stormed the Brikama Fire Station in protest,
following the death of their colleague Ebrima Barry.  The protesting
students were holding banners and placards.

A contingent of the Police Intervention Unit, was quickly deployed
to the Fire Service Station to disperse the protesting students.

The principal, Mr Forster could not be reached for comments.