GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Buharry Gassama <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Momodou Buharry Gassama <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 2009 17:21:06 +0200
Hi Lamin,
The intellectual property thing was just a joke and had nothing
embedded. I appreciated the humorous attempt to get me out in the open
and thus took it as it was meant. However that humorous side of LJD was
something new for me and I thought I'd throw a joke saying that you
kind of borrowed the style from a brother here.

About Jawara, I'd agree with many of your characterisations of his
regime such as incompetence, nepotism, mismanagement, mediocrity etc.
Since you downgraded "executive vandalism", I don't think we have
disagreements there. The only part I still have reservations with is
the part where you insinuated tyranny and fear of Jawara. If we are
fair to Jawara, I believe tyranny and fear are the last things that
should be associated with the man and his rule. The man was a democrat
as president. Because of his long rule, people were tired of the same
system and had nothing to compare it to. I am among those who were
critical of Jawara. I used to write letters to the Senegambia Sun
criticising him and his government. However, being a bit older and
wiser now and having something to compare his rule to, I'll give the
man credit for his democratic credentials.

I'll try to put up some videos about Jawara by the weekend. In one of
the documentaries, even opposition candidates were praising the
fairness of the elections.

You wrote:
"... the contention is not that they are incapable of reasoning, only
that they supported Dawda Jawara irrespective of any reality that was
staring them in the face."

I know you were just trying to argue for the protection of the masses.
I just thought I'd poke you. However, supporting incumbents regardless
of reality was not and is not unique to the Gambian masses. Even in the
US, the Democrats have had a monopoly of the black vote despite the
realities facing black people there. In the developing world, what you
describe is the norm. I wrote a piece ages ago titled "The Politicians
and the "Badola"" lamenting among other things this
fact.

Have a good day.
Buharry.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buharry

Sorry for delay in response, and now that the temperature appears to
stabilise on the L, I am happy to take a very brief crack at your
queries.

I wish to acknowledge your foray into copyright, and the fun aspect of
that project apart, be assured I appreciate the serious message
embedded in your intellectual property reference. I missed your
'presence', and hence the humorous attempt to drag you away from your
busy schedule if only for a brief spell.

About Dawda Jawara, I simply ask that you ponder whether anyone in the
security and legal establishment today is likely to come near the GPU-
7, much less  arrest and prosecute them for fabricated "sedition", and
"criminal defamation" charges, without the Professor's personal
authorisation.

It is my contention that the Professor merely amplified the blueprint
of mis-governance that was put in place by the government of Dawda
Jawara, whether from conducting clearly  unfair elections,
marginalising alternative political voices, or refusing to introduce
and entrench institutionalism in public life. In other words,
'institutionalising' a culture of public lawlessness! Culture is the
key my friend, and the prevailing culture in Dawda Jawara's government
was what led to the collapse, and total erasure of any worthwhile
memory from that era of our national history.

If vandalism is too much for you, I am happy to substitute it with
plunder, executive plunder, that is. I merely remind you of GCDBank,
Agric Dev Bank, NTC, GPMB, Cooperative Union, Gambia Airways, each a
profitable parastatal enterprise that went south without any
consequences whatsoever. Vandalism or plunder, the outcome remains the
same, and it all happened under Dawda Jawara's watch. GUC barely
managed, and survived only because of its nature. GAMTEL was a
monopoly, and even there, it could not manage to provide personal lines
in nearby communities like Sukuta. Consequently, I wrote extensively
against Dawda Jawara's government before its overthrow, and I do not
miss that government for a day.

Consequent upon the diffused nature of power in the Jawara era,
nepotism was more widespread than some analysts may be willing to
accept. The political leadership was not in full control of the
technocratic leadership, and neither were willing, or able, to
effectively control the leadership of parastatal institutions. It was
therefore a free for all who were able to indulge in nepotism as they
pleased. Some of our colleagues here may be operatives in the Jawara
government heartlands, and I am happy to hear their version of events.

As to your average Gambian in Sareh Lamin, the contention is not that
they are incapable of reasoning, only that they supported Dawda Jawara
irrespective of any reality that was staring them in the face. It is
not a crime to embrace irrationality, and that was the reason I
counselled that even those who were knee-deep in that lifestyle of
denial should be left alone. I would hate to see the unlettered take my
hero to the cleaners! Always be alert
to the lettered person's blind spot of treating the unlettered as less
smart, as education, and, or, formal certification, may have only
tangential bearing on the ways of the world.

Lest I forgot, we are on middle ground regarding heroism.

LJDarbo

--- On Mon, 27/7/09, Momodou Buharry Gassama <[log in to unmask]>