GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 20:12:45 +0200
MORE NEW DEVELOPMENTS

"This is an opportunity to enjoy local Gambian food, hear West African
drumming and dance to selected sounds
  by DJ AL. Event proceeds go toward the shipment of 25,000 books and
educational supplies to The Gambia.
  And, to the development of a micro-loan program with rural women living in
the village of Dankunku."

Within 7 years and  with the AFPRC/APRC our nation has become one of the most
indebted  in the sub-region. Loans are put to the construction of four lane
roads in the middle of our towns and we are told, had it not been our low IQ
we would have called this development and applauded it. Morden man never
seized to surprise me and at a time when NGOs and other small organisation
struggled to provide for the most needed in our society loans to reduce their
daily worries. With our low IQ we have been able to argue that with a two-lane
road much would have been achieved and the abandon deplorable streets in our
back yards would have been able to gain  from it. With even our low IQ we do
know that what we are against is not the construction of roads or the quality
of roads. In this discussion our point of encouraging collective transport
system was never mention, our point on the environment was never mention, our
point and concern for those whose survival along these roads were shattered
into pieces was never mention. Our concern for the cost of maintaining these
roads was never mention; our concern for traffic safety was never mention. Any
attempt to reduce this important discussion to "for and against" the
construction of roads must be dumped into the dustbins,this is were it
belongs.
We criticized the building of schools without proper planning, the results
which never wait to come by, we are told had it not been our low IQ we would
have understand that Gambians are very happy with the production of half
educated students. But until we hear about the delay in salary payments of
teachers, until people are no longer able to collect books for the schools and
until the BokaLohos, simmas etc are no longer able to take hand on these
school drop outs, we might be able to understand that we could have done the
planning better, with a much more convincing results. But until, the half
educated, the mothers, the fathers are also no longer able to bear the
situation, then we might come to understand that they are also Gambians. Every
school that is going to be built will demand more resources, do you have it,
are you depending on the little you have? are you going to take more loans?
Our Father, the merciful, allow me to thank you for letting me to understand,
with  my  low IQ, that  "cutting your coat according to your size" are words
of wisdom, even in the language of planning.

We said with our low IQ that taking loans and building all these hospitals is
not necessary at this stage of our development. We are not more than even 2
million, increase the quality and capacity of our dirty hospitals with modern
instrument and develop primary health -care at a nation wide level, use the
money and solve the sanitation problem,  malaria is rapidly and yearly
reducing our population, all these will reduce the capacity and resources
problems we have at the hospitals. We are told by those with high IQ that it
does not matter Gambians are happy with all these hospitals, even when
patients are told to go the pharmacy and buy bandage for their wounds to be
dress, even were as we depend so much on philanthropists to provide these
hospitals with as simple instrument as blood pressure machines.
We said the State of our airport is very fine we need not take loan to upgrade
it at this stage of our development, we are told had it not been our low IQ we
would have understand that this is national development, more money and
activities will come by.
Some days back we read that parliament have approved a loan taken by the
state. Out of   "over 1,2 billion dalasis, D500mmillion is to be spend on
urban water supply and D540 million on the construction of a five star hotel,
when you cannot even produce a tomato paste,(but follow the logic) we are
certainly going to hear that this is also part of national development and we
need not even have to remind them that just some few years back the Atlantic
hotel was sold at a price which many critics refer to as a give away price.
It took the dictator Joseph Stalin less than 10 years to turn the Soviet Union
to one of the harvest industrial nation in the world, not only with the many
lives it takes to do so but generations that followed will without doubt swear
by their grave never to allow such to happen again because the consequences of
such madness will be felt for years to come. There were many critics who never
allow them selves to be silence by those who claim to know better, even with
toture, force deportation and murder.

 In many towns and cities in Asia, breathing fresh air is not the only problem
for survival, but the floods, the rising unemployment etc are making life
unbearable, we know how the tiger nations were herald as the model for
economic freedom. The many health, environmental and human disasters that the
construction of big roads, bridges, big farms etc in the name of national
development have produced is not demanding any complicated understanding even
from us with a low IQ.The enviromentalist, the left activist, trade unionist
etc who constantly critic some of the big projects, never cared when they were
accused of not understanding economics and patriotic enough to applaud these
great developments taking place in the nation, they never stop talking, it
took less than twenty years for them to say, was this not what we  were
saying. And now environmentalist have release the alarm, there is very little
time.
In Latin America, Say in Chile, the dictator Pinoche, is said to have reduced
illiteracy in Chile to the lowest in the whole of Latin America and the
economy of the country under his rule was just great. Even today it is not
clear how long it will take Chile to recover from the madness of this
dictator. In Argentina, the default on its foreign dept resulted in the
collapse of nothing less than four government within a very short period of
time, even though for few years back the country was hailed in the skies by
neo liberals as the most successful economics in Latin America,a model to
follow, the results workers occupied textile factory, ceramic factory etc and
running them by them selves, followed by unknown number of demonstration in
the streets.
There are so many examples we can go by and when " pundits" could not
understand the logic of the debate put forward by us with   low IQ and
reducing the whole matter to "for and aginst", perhaps because they never care
to read what people with low IQ have to say or because of our poor command of
the language or simply an effort to move the focus from such important issues
in disguise of been objective, we must not allow it, keep the focus, we owe it
to the next generation. And whiles we are waiting for more new developments,
all eyes on Argentina.

For Freedom
Saiks