GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Jabang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 13:06:04 GMT
Asalaamu alaikum G-l,

Alhamdulillah and here is a translation of some points of benefit from our
dear Shaickh bin Baaz (may Allah have mercy on him) translated by:

             Prepared by Abu Rumaysah
           1010 Weston Rd, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M6N 1S3
              Phone  (416) 761-9845 FAX (416) 761-9027
             Visit http://www.troid.org Email [log in to unmask]

Taken from ‘A Question of Interest: the Paralysis of Saudi Banking’ by
                   P.W. Wilson (pp.186-188):

The Asharq Al-Awsat article was just SAMA’s [Saudi Arabian Monetary Agency]
opening parry...the agency again tried to question Islamic banking by
allowing one of its
employees, [X], to question the ulema’s stand on interest and Islamic
banking.....[X]’s
paper...began with the provocative statement, "it is possible to say that
there will not be
Islamic strength without economic strength, and there will not be economic
strength
without banks, and there will not be banks without interest."...[X]’s
conclusion was that
simple interest charged by banks had nothing to do with the riba mentioned
in the
Koran and therefore should not be banned...

....In December, 1986, Bin Baz and his allies wrote replies to [X]’s
paper...Quoting
sayings of the Prophet to prove that simple interest was indeed riba, Bin
Baz thundered
against [X]’s assertion that there would be no Islamic economic strength
without banks
and interest. "The experience of Muslims from the time of the Prophet until
banks were
established is evidence of the fallacy of his argument...the Muslim economy
has been
righteous...it has gone for more than 13 centuries without banks or riba
interest. Our
wealth grew through righteous dealing....anyone with the narrowest vision
knows that
riba banks are against a sound economy and against the public interest and
are
among the greatest of reasons for the collapse, unemployment, the
elimination of
blessing and the rule of our enemies. We ask [Allah] that He deliver Muslims
from this
and give them vision and uprighteousness." Bin Baz then ended his letter
with a blunt
warning..."No one may make permissible something which [Allah] has
forbidden. We
ask [Allah]...to help the writer...to return to truth and repent for what he
issued and to
announce it to the community. Perhaps [Allah] will forgive him."

Proponents of Islamic banking didn’t rest there. In February, 1987, the Imam
of the
Grand Mosque at Mecca and the three judges of the Western Province Court of
Appeals--four of the pillars of Saudi Arabia’s ulema--wrote to Bin Baz
expressing their
horror at the spread of interest, and urged him to press the country’s
leaders to do
something about it. Heeding their call, Bin Baz addressed a letter to King
Fahd the next
month, renewing his appeal for the immediate creation of Islamic banking
institutions
"which Muslims could use instead of riba banks. With these, they could
protect
themselves against the wrath, vengeance and severe punishment of [Allah]
that
threaten those who go against His orders and beyond His boundaries...it is
feared that
the economic recession and fall in incomes that has occurred in this country
and others
could be warning of the imminent consequences that could end for us our
blessing and
in their place bring misfortune, punishment and vengeance upon us...the path
of [Allah]
cannot be exchanged or changed, and we are a people of His people bound by
His
path as are other people, except that [Allah] covers us with His grace.
Might we seek
His forgiveness for the war we are waging upon Him and His Prophet, and
cease
dealing in riba in its various forms, to purify the country and its people
from its filth and
stain."

And then Bin Baz reminded King Fahd of an oath he made before his ascension,
saying "On this occasion I would like to remind you of your promise to the
council in
your letter of 16/7/1401 (May, 1981) of the determination of the government
to set up an
Islamic financial agency. I ask that an urgent royal decree be issued to
finish the
necessary studies to create this agency as soon as possible, along with the
proposed
Islamic banks, as an alternative to the present riba banks. The sheikhs are
still
receiving embarrassing written and oral enquiries which they are not able to
answer on
why there are no Islamic banks that don’t deal in interest in the Kingdom of
Saudi
Arabia, which is at the forefront of the countries that fight riba."
[Author’s note: Taken
from Bin Baz’ letter to King Fahd. All documents written by the cleric were
supplied by
lawyers.]

Fahd’s response has never been published. However, shortly thereafter,
several events
occurred that suggest that Fahd had bowed to their wishes. First, the
country’s fledgling
stock exchange was closed after religious leaders reportedly complained that
trading
was in the hands of the unIslamic banks...

Taken from ‘Al-Istiqaamah’ magazine (Issue No.1, pp.3-4) being
translated from Shaykh ‘Abdul-’Azeez bin Baaz’s Majmoo’ Fataawaa wa
Maqaalaat Mutanawwi’ah (3/348-350):

The status of the Muslim woman in Islaam is a very noble and lofty one, and
her effect is
very great in the life of every Muslim. Indeed, the Muslim woman is the
initial teacher in
the building of a righteous society, providing she follows the guidance from
the Book of
Allaah and the Sunnah of His Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam. Since
adherence to
the Qur’aan and the Sunnah distances every Muslim - male or female - from
being
misguided in any matter...

The secret of her importance lies in the tremendous burden and
responsibility that is
placed upon her, and the difficulties that she has to shoulder -
responsibilities and
difficulties some of which not even a man bears. This is why from the most
important
obligations upon a person is to show gratitude to the mother, and kindness
and good
companionship with her. And in this matter, she is to be given precedence
over and
above the father...

A man came to Allaah’s Messenger sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam and said: O
Messenger of Allaah! Who from amongst mankind warrants the best
companionship
from me? He replied: "Your mother." The man asked: Then who? So he replied:
"Your
mother." The man then asked: Then who? So the Prophet replied again: "Your
mother."
The man then asked: Then who? So he replied: "Then your father." [Related by
al-Bukhaaree (no.5971) and Muslim (7/2),from Abu Hurayrah radiallaahu
‘anhu]. So this
necessitates that the mother is given three times the like of kindness and
good
treatment than the father.

As regards the wife, then her status and her effect in making the soul
tranquil and
serene, has been clearly shown in the noble aayah (verse), in His - the Most
High’s -
saying:

"And from amongst His Signs is this: That He created for you wives from
amongst
yourselves, so that you may find serenity and tranquility in them. And He
has put
between you love and compassion. Indeed, in this are signs for those who
reflect."
[Soorah Room 30:21].

....And do not forget about ‘Aaishah - radiallaahu ‘anhaa - and her great
effect. Since
even the great Sahaabah (Companions) used to take knowledge of Hadeeth from
her,
and many of the Sahaabiyaat (female Companions) learnt the various rulings
pertaining
to women’s issues from her...

And I have no doubt that my mother - may Allaah shower His mercy upon her
-had a
tremendous effect upon me, in encouraging me to study; and she assisted me
in it. May
Allaah greatly increase her reward and reward her with the best of rewards
for what she
did for me.

And there is no doubt also, that the house in which there is kindness,
gentleness, love
and care, along with the correct Islaamic tarbiyah(education and
cultivation) will greatly
affect the man. So he will become- if Allaah wills - successful in his
affairs and in any
matter - whether it be seeking knowledge, trading, earning a living, or
other than this.
So it is Allaah alone that I ask to grant success and to guide us all to
that which He
loves and is pleased with. And may the prayers and peace of Allaah be upon
our
Prophet Muhammad, and upon his Family, his Companions and his followers.

May Allah benefit us with the great legacy of Shaickh bin Baaz and his
likes. Allahumma salli wasallim ala Nabiyyina Muhammad. Wasalaam.

Modou Mbye