GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 19:28:53 EDT
Ngai,

I am sure that Hamat Bah can request that the meeting be reconvened, and I
think PDOIS has already requested this. They also say the ycalled while the
meeting was in progress to have a delay so they could attend.
We as citizens can also ask that the meeting be reconvened because one united
opposition as opposed to a splintered one will definitley be more effective
against the butcher of Kanilai.
I believe that this process to assemble a united opposition was bungled and
that this was so important that every effort should have been exhausted to
accomplish that, and that these parties owed it to the people to work out
something to that effect.
However, this did not happen, and it is too bad. I certainly do not want to
be painted as a pariah simply because i expected a more competent and
transparent effort that would have been more becoming of people who have a
common goal. This is not too much to ask for.
I cannot believe that expressing this simple fact has led some people to go
so far as to accuse me of being sympathetic to the Jammeh regime. If one
checks the Gambia L archives, you will find that If I was not the first
person to speak out againt the Jammeh regime on this L, then there were not
more than one or two before me. I remember when I used to receive private
emails from people asking me to not be so outspoken against this regime
because i had family back home etc. Therefore, to say I am a Jammeh
sympathizer simply because i pointed out that a simple process that would
have been best was bungled goes to show that for us Gambians, there are
always a host of people waiting for the  slightest opportunity to tar and
feather you. No wonder we are in the mess we are in, and it will continue so
long as we are not able to decipher the truth, and to realize that we must
demand the utmost of integrity from our leaders or else we cannot expect
integrity in the long run.
Let the opposition assemble as they may, and may the best man win even with a
splintered opposition alliance. This is not surprising because when were we
as Gambians able to speak in one unanimous voice? Why, that would be
unGambian if it ever happened. As far as I am concerned this discussion is
over, and let us concentrate on trying to defeat the Butcher of kanilai. That
was never out of sight as far as I am concerned, but the method employed is
definitley what determines the outcome.

Jabou Joh