GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:34:43 +0200
Brothers and Sister,

        As Yaya Jammeh and his forces of repression intensify their hunt for
the young Gambian students who have so far managed to evade them, and as he
makes a request to Senegal for a repatriation of those who have managed to
flee over the boarder, we all know what his main objective is: "To teach
them a lesson", so that others may be intimidated into total subservience.

His intention is to instil so much fear into the hearts of ordinary people
that no one shall dare stand up for the other. "To just mind their own
business". Yahya Jammeh's intellect is so low that he will never be able to
grasp the simple fact that repression breeds resistance. Wherever there is
action, there is a reaction and this is as true in the social as in the
physical sphere.

Give the fool a long rope and he will hang himself!

You see, when all this started, my main worry, besides the affirmation of my
long held suspicion that Jammeh must be mentally ill, I wondered about the
ability of the Gambian communities abroad to sustain a protracted political
campaign to excise this malignant tumour that has invaded our body politic.
This cancer that is threatening to destroy the social fabric of the most
beautiful country in the whole world.

Was there going to be a loud uproar, relieved gradually by nonchalance? My
thoughts drifted in that vein, until Jammeh came "home".

Now news reaching all of us hanging out here, tell us that Jammeh is bent on
revenge(otherwise why would he solicit their extradition?). Yes, but you are
right in asking revenge for what? Are we not the ones who are supposed to be
vowing revenge? We whose brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, etc have been
murdered in cold blood? No! Not according the perverse mind of His
Excellency Alhadji, Dr..President Yahya A. J. J. Jammeh. His ego is too big
and he is hurt.

He is hurt by being humiliated by the students. He is hurt because the
students have exposed the weaknesses in his security. Those brave students,
armed with only stones, chased his Para-military dogs with their tails
between their legs. He is hurt because they bought his bluff.
They stood up to his instruments of repression and signalled to all and
sundry that we can do it! They literally said to all:  "Look here, we are
chasing Jammeh's dogs with only stones as our weapons". He is hurt because
they exposed his lie to the whole world that he is the savoir of the Gambian
masses. They exposed the MURDERER in him to the entire world.

They hurt his pride! Jammeh is a virtual child, believe me. Did you ever
hear him talk? I have a friend whom I exchange Jammeh jokes with. He tells
me now and then, when he's feeling bored he does not have to check out which
channels may be airing comedy programs. He just slots in one of his many
Jammeh video tapes. My favourite used to be when Jammeh (making threats as
always) asked which one, "samba tally" or "mbota", will get crushed if the
two should collide! Of course he is "samba tally" and our people are "mbota"

My good friend, who actually used to be a Jammeh supporter, tells me
sometimes he feels like hiding under the table out of shame even though he
is all alone at home.

Now I am in no doubt any longer. I am positive that Jammeh's day are
numbered. You can start counting. I am so positive now because I can see now
that Jammeh himself  is going to be our biggest mobiliser! I say: "Give the
fool a long rope and he shall eventually hang himself".

 I think that many years from now when historians assess this period of
Gambian history, many will arrive at the conclusion that Devil
Jammeh was afterall, a blessing in disguise for The Gambia.

For as he hunts our young people across the boarder into Senegal more and
more people are rallying to the cause of freedom. More and more people are
beginning to see the urgent need to excise this cancer from our body
politic.

This Son of Satan who can ask for the recitation of the Holy Qu'ran at home
while at the same time overseeing the hunt for those children whose fallen
comrades he claims to be mourning.

I am afraid that what we have here is what psychologists refer to as a Split
Personality.

A type of man who can commit murder one minute and then turn round and pray
in the next.

A type of man who can steal from poor people whiles at the same time
claiming to be doing a lot for them.

A type of man who can call for peace during daylight whiles creating new
arms caches under cover of darkness.

A type of man who can order the cold-blooded murder of his own people by
phone, stay away as long as he pleases, comes "home", finds them mourning,
"crashes" in on their grief, asks all and sundry to pray together, whiles
personally overseeing the biggest manhunt (since July 1981) for those who
escaped his bullets.

A type of man who can claim to hate skin-bleaching because it is degrading
to us Africans but cannot find any African-African sister worthy of his
Presidential bed.

A type of man who can tell the biggest lie and name Allah his chief witness.
The list goes on...

This is the type of man whom, when fate finally catches up with him, will
breakdown and cry, weep a child. Believe me! Jammeh is clinically ill!

Of all the possible scenarios of catastrophes (human and natural) that can
befall a nation, we have been "unlucky" enough to encounter the worse one.
Our country has been high-jacked by a nut case and similar case histories to
what we have, do give cause for alarm. It is just like in our common saying:
"You wouldn't believe he is crazy until he graps a piece of stick and chases
you".

Now who can be in any doubt? Jammeh Must Go!

Remember Pol Pot? He was "saving" his people according to him. He ended
killing over two million of them. Now human skulls are a tourist attraction
in Cambodia.

Remember Siad Barry? The nut head destroyed his country and when he could
not hold out any longer, he drove a truck to the front of the Central Bank
and drove away all the money!

Remember Jean Bendel Bukassa? He crowned himself king, made the "mistake" of
ordering the murder of children and used to have human liver for breakfast.
Must have some blood ties with Jammeh. And hasn't anyone noticed how his
vice-president resembles an owl? Just take a closer look at the witch.

Remember Master Sgt. Doe. When Johnson finally caught up with him, you
suddenly could not recognise "Strongman" Doe any more. "I say unna forgive
me bo!", "We all na Liberians bo!", "Please my brother, have mercy on me!"
They cut off his ears, then his balls! Are reading this Junkung Jamos?
Tombong, can you get Jammeh that video tape?

I hope our brother Tombong Saidy is reporting to the Gambian people who
finance the running of GRTS that Jammeh's forces of repression are chasing
their sons and daughters who survived the massacre even as Jammeh claims to
be mourning those who didn't. They are chasing them with live ammunition
with intent to shoot to kill!

Who will from now on identify this man with God? I guess only the Imam that
can be bought with gold coins.

One day when one of my friends told me that he had been to the mosque, here
in Oslo, I managed to feign seriousness as I told him that I had to rush to
the hospital's emergency unit at once. When he asked alarmed, if somebody
had been involved in an accident. I said to him the Angels must have broken
some limbs trying to get away when they learned who was coming up the
stairs.

Jokes aside, The Angels of the State House Mosque must be lucky that they
have RVH just close by. If the speed with which The Angels try to get away
from Satanic men is proportional to the amount of sin committed, then those
State House Angels must move faster than any flying saucer. For this is evil
as you've never seen it before.

A peace-loving, God-fearing nation like our deserves much better than
Jammeh. The most common trait among Gambians as a people is our
friendliness. Ask any foreigner who has ever visited the Gambia and even
before you finish they will be telling you about our friendliness.

Gambians enjoy the openness, tolerance an trust that exist in our society
and we value our freedom. If we don't cut Yahya Jammeh short we may lose all
that, for Yahya Jammeh is bent on "dehumanising" us! But give Jammeh a long
rope and the fool shall hang himself.

Jammeh is bent on instilling so much fear in us that when we see injustice
we are going to simply say: "It's doesn't concern me". He may have succeeded
under other  circumstances. He may have succeeded if he had not first
ordered the brutal murder of those brave students. Now everybody knows that
"It is indeed their business" We have learned. Jammeh has shown us all the
need to make it our business. Jammeh is our biggest mobiliser! I say: Give
the fool a long rope and he shall pretty soon hang himself!

Jammeh, being the Evil man that he is, has no way of understanding that
there
is so much humanity in  Gambians as a people that it would be almost
practically impossible to dehumanise us; especially now when we all know who
the Devil incarnate is, thanks to those valiant students. Jammeh Must Go!

Since Jammeh is chasing precisely school children and since some of them are
already safely (I assume) inside Senegal, I think we need to act very fast.
We need to quickly establish a network on the ground in Senegal and inside
the Gambia. We need such a network to enable us to create supply lines of
both information and financial assistance.

We need such network so that we can interview those students who have
managed to cross the boarder and those still inside (secretly). Such
material on video tape (from the horses own mouth) can be spread to various
Human Rights organisations and can be used at the same time at fundraising
activities, funds that can be used to fight for the release of those
presently in custody and to support their families..

I think by establishing links to the Senegalese student organisations we
will be already laying the foundation stone of a relationship that we are
surely going to need as the struggle to remove the Devil within our midst
continues.

With the level of political consciousness that the Senegalese youth
demonstrated during the recent presidential elections, they wouldn't need
very much cajoling to rally to our cause. If we can establish contact with
people like Dr. Sall, who used to be a member of the list we can raise
some funds to send a couple of members of the list to Dakar to reassure the
students and at the same time seek audiences with relevant officials within
the Wade government to explain our position. Whiles there they can try to
cements the links to the student organisations. "Just afford the fool along
rope..."

I am sure if we all put our heads together, we can come up with something
feasible. And talking about putting heads together, there is no use putting
our minds together when our hearts are divided. In order to get rid of
Jammeh as soon as humanely possible I think we need a very solid front. An
impregnable front. I have been so busy running up and down these past few
days I have not had time to read Halifa's response to Hamjatta.

But until I do that I would like to extend a brotherly hand to Katim in the
meanwhile. Hamadi is right in alluding that the second part of Katim's plan
is the road we may ultimately have to follow.

So Brother Katim, for the memory of our murdered students and the benefit of
our cause, I say from the bottom of my heart that I bear you no ill-will
personally. I hope that as the struggle unfolds we can be able to work
together. But I think we should already now begin to look into the
possibility of prosecuting Jammeh.

Hamadi, I think that if Jammeh intensifies the repression of ordinary
Gambians it would not be far fetched to be allowed regular air time in one
of Senegal's many radio stations. That is a political decision though and
therefore must be approved by government. Jammeh knows the military might of
Senegal and will think twice before venturing (golo ham na...) He'll be the
"mbota" then!

Senegal has only to be reassured that
we are really serious about getting rid of Jammeh. Whatever the outcome we
cannot begin by adapting a defeatist posture. We must explore all avenues.
Where we fail, we gather lessons for the future.

The type of brutality I envisage Jammeh unleashing on Gambians in the future
may play in our favour. So let's all join our hands and our heads together
in our search for the quickest and most humanely way to afford the Butcher
of Kaninlai the longest rope so that he hangs himself for Ever and Ever!

Amen!

Regards.

Amadu Kabir Njie.