GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deyda Hydara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 14:13:34 +0000
Dear Saihou, I read your piece.

If I get you right, speaking of the realities of the village was a sin but
advocating for the surreal must be hailed. Again, I am worried that the time
factor is not again taken into account. When were Senghor's poems written?
In the 20s, 30s, 40s. Senghor always tells us in his poems "Je me rapelle"
(I Remember). In the 1900 or 20s or 30s when the majority of Europeans had
no access to refrigerators, I wonder how he could have chanted something
different from what he said in Chants d'Ombre pegged to his childhood days?
This brings me to Abdoulaye Jallow's question on Negritude. Senghor himself
defined Negritude as follows: " La negritude est l'enracinement de la race
noire dans les valeurs de la culture negre". There is a difficulty for me to
give an accurate translation of the word Enracinement as the suggestion in
my English French dictionary that enraciner means to root does not clearly
portray the meaning. But let me suggest the following translation: Negritude
is immersing deep into the roots of the values of the negro(black) culture.
For Senghor (and maybe not the others) there should not be any iota of shame
or complex to be identified as a negro, a black person. And this goes in
line with Wollof wisdom which says that "a curse or a dereogatory statement
or remark fits more the originator, the utterer than the one it is destined
to."
Senghor defended the blacks' rights to be part and parcel of what must be a
universal civilization today or tomorrow. This is what he called "Le rendez
vous du donner et du recevoir". The meeting point for complentarity in which
one gives and takes.
It beats the imagination that someone who advocated for such a recognition
of the black race as an equal partner of the  other races  in the universe
can be called an untrue son of Africa.
In fact the definition of a son of Africa is very simple. Senghor was born
in Senegal which forms part of the African continent. He led that country by
reviving its African arts and culture with a national theatre, a literary
revolution based on African values etc. etc. This suffices to qualify him as
a true son of Africa.
But for the sake of the current debate, can Senghor be blamed for the ills
of other African countries in the light of the arguments I developed in my
last take? I would want to add that Mugabe was in the shadows of Nkruma. He
has been the helm of affairs in Zimbabwe for more than 20 years. What has
Zimbabwean farmers got that Senegalese farmers don't?
I think in the final analysis, each head of state's results must be the
parameters for any judgment for we are all familiar with the concepts of no
interference in the internal affairs of states and the sacrosanct boundaries
issue.
Saihou I now come to LDMPT and Ande Jeff. Thesec parties have been in
existence since Diouf allowed them in 1981. Today, after 20 years or so of
existence, they only secured 1 seat each in the last elections meant for 120
seats. Don't you think Senghor was right to favour their original currents
which were more representative such as the one ruling the country today?
Rhetorics and representation are two different things.
On The Gambia's independence I cannot see how Senghor could have stopped
this country from attaining independence.  So, I will not waste my time on
this issue. But Read Omar Touray on this issue.
On Guinea Bissau, we all know that it was after Senghor met Spinola that
things change for the better in favour of the freedom fighters with the
Portuguese revolution followedc by the independence of Guinea Bissau.
One must also point out that Koro Sallah and Moja were providing blankets,
torch lights etc. as historically documented Senegalese soldiers from
Ziguinchor fought along side the Ninos and the Ansumanas for the liberation
of that country.
This is I am afraid my last take on this issue.
Thanks for your attention
Deyda