GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Yusupha C. Jow" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 18:50:29 EDT
By Steven Goff
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, April 30, 2002; Page D02

The parallels are striking: West African countries, both French-speaking,
both independent from colonial rule since 1960, both nicknamed the Lions and
thrust into the intense glare of the international soccer spotlight by
drawing the defending champion in the opening match of the World Cup.

In 1990, it was the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon, and their victim in Milan
on the opening night was Diego Maradona's Argentina team in one of the most
astounding results in tournament history. This year, it's the Teranga Lions
of Senegal, first-time qualifiers who will step onto the field at Seoul World
Cup Stadium on May 31 and attempt to knock off 1998 champion France -- a feat
so improbable it probably would surpass Cameroon's shocker.

Senegal, about the size of South Dakota and with a population of 10 million,
had been trying to qualify for the World Cup since the late 1960s, and until
last summer, it had been eliminated in the first round almost every time. The
most humiliating moment came before the '90 World Cup, when Senegal's soccer
federation forgot to send in its entry form before the deadline and the team
had to stay home.

But this time, after barely escaping unimposing Benin in the first round,
Senegal beat out traditional powers Morocco and Egypt in its five-team
second-round group to clinch one of Africa's five berths in the 32-team
field.

"We have entered a winning era for Senegal," said Senegal President Abdoulaye
Wade, who abruptly ended a diplomatic trip to France to lead the qualifying
celebrations back home. (He did it while wearing a No. 11 team jersey.) "I
have so much ambition for our national team to be among the best in Africa."

After the draw in December, a Dakar newspaper, the Soleil, wrote: "From the
North Pole to the Amazon, from the Kalahari Desert to Kandahar, people will
hear about our country."

The fact that Senegal is playing France in the opening game seems so
appropriate. Almost every Senegal national team player is employed by a
French club, and because of the historic ties between the countries, many
Senegal players actually grew up in France.

The team's left-footed playmaker, Khalilou Fadiga, was born in Dakar but
raised in a rough section of Paris. (He also could have played for Belgium
because his wife is from there.) Midfielder Sylvain N'Diaye has lived in
France his entire life, but because his grandfather is Senegalese, he was
eligible to commit to the African nation's squad.

Senegal's coach also is French. Bruno Metsu has stylish clothing,
shoulder-length hair and bright blue eyes that make him look more suited for
a modeling runway. He took the job in October 2000, succeeding German Peter
Schnittger.

In addition to guiding the Lions to the World Cup, Metsu led them to the
championship game of this year's African Nations Cup in Mali, losing to
Cameroon in a penalty kick tiebreaker following a scoreless match.

"Because of the strong links between France and Senegal, people are saying we
are like a French reserve team," Metsu, 48, told Britain's World Soccer
magazine. "But we have quality players who are good enough to get into the
full French squad. Now for this opening game, we are going to have to face
not only a great team, but also the world will be focused on us. How we react
to all that is going to be very important."

Much of the focus will be on Senegal's most dangerous player, 21-year-old
striker El Hadji Diouf, the 2001 African player of the year. The brash Diouf,
who plays for Lens in France, had hat tricks in consecutive qualifiers and
finished with eight goals in the final five games, including the game-winner
against group favorite Morocco. He had a goal and two assists in the
berth-clinching triumph over Namibia.

A strong performance in the World Cup likely would bring big offers from
wealthy clubs in Spain, Italy, England or Germany. Diouf has said he would
like to play in the English Premiership.

"Already many people have seen our qualification as an accident and believe
we have no chance of going beyond the first round," Diouf said in an
interview with African Soccer magazine. "That suits us. If we crash out
early, it will be no surprise. But I have a feeling we will spring a few
surprises."

© 2002 The Washington Post Company