GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 12:37:06 -0400

Open Letter to Gambians
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Is Yaya Jammeh sound in mind? With all due respect to his position as president of The Gambia such a question may come as a surprise to many. But it is important that an attempt to answer it open our minds to the fact that something, which I don’t know what, could be bothering the chief of state. I’m not exactly sure of the reaction to my question but it is exactly the difficulty in answering it that I am asking Gambians to make sense out of it. And here we come to the main thrust of my letter.
In a recent speech, delivered by Mr. Jammeh that was reproduced verbatim and transcribed by THE INDEPENDENT’s Sana Camara, one would think that if anything wrong with Gambia after all it is Yaya Jammeh himself. The Gambian leader rambled on self-glorification on his successes in the years that he had remained as president ruining it.
It is apparent to me that Mr. Jammeh does not believe that speeches are written to suit occasions and that they are delivered timely to improve the image of nations and organizations. I think someone should take the difficult task to inform him that he needs a speechwriter and that he cannot go about making speeches that are disjointed and incoherent. He must also be told that so long he remains the leader of The Gambia, he is accountable to the people and he has the responsibility to speak for Gambians and Africans where it is necessary and extremely important. And in fact it is extremely important that he matures enough to understand Gambian, African and international issues before shooting his mouth about them.
It is very shameful that the Gambian leader does not know that he is an embarrassment to the people and to Africans when he makes comments that lack common sense. Consider this comment made at the 8th anniversary of his regime in 2002 on Independence and Freedom: “…Gambia is still dependent. We cannot beat our chest with pride today and say we are independent. We are not, let no one fool you. Now if you are not independent how can we talk about freedom? If you are not independent how can you talk about your basic rights? If I feed you and own your kitchen I will tell you what to eat and decide what you should not eat. So how free are you and how can there be democracy? Let us refer as from today to say everyday I will do something that will give me my freedom. If you live in your uncle’s house you are not free. If you live in your father’s house you’re not free because tomorrow somebody will call you father and do you expect your son or daughter to live in his or her father’s house?”
Yes, this is Yaya Jammeh’s idea of freedom and independence. Hence my question: Is he sound in mind? In his 9th speech to commemorate the power he feels so good enjoying, he repeatedly cried against his critics and has been unhappy that other Gambians don’t agree with him on his style of leadership. But the situation becomes clearer when his idea of freedom and independence is considered. (So how free are you and how can there be democracy?  quoted above.)
That not only Gambia but also Africa is in trouble is all too clear when individuals like Yaya is counted, sadly, among leaders of people. Hence I request any reader to help me with information about Yaya’s educational background.
My only appeal is that he must be told that he is not an orator and his efforts to become one is discouraging and hurting The Gambia and Africa and exposing to the world the kind and quality of leaders presently ruining the lives of their people on the continent.
He also needs someone to help him write what he wants to say. As long as he is the president of The Gambia he must keep his mouth shut and let those who are qualified by education and experience handle what he has shown himself incapable of doing.
Omari Jackson