GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kebba Jobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 14:46:16 -0000
Mr. Small, I entirely agree with atleast 99% of what you've writen about the
need for a term limit for the presidency. I don't however subscribe to the
absolute 2 term limit as many people would like to have. My personal opinion
about term limitation for the presidency is for NO ONE TO SERVE MORE THAN
TWO CONSECUTIVE terms of 5 years. I strongly beleive that people should have
the choice of re-electing any leader, who after 2 consecutive terms leaves
office for atleast 5 years. 2 reasons for holding this view are Zambia and
Benin where, in the case of Benin, a former president was re-elected without
the advantage of incumbency.

To strenghten this, I advocate a system that would make it manditory for any
person wishing to stand for president after having served 2 terms earlier,
does so ONLY AS AN INDEPENDENT CANDIDATE AND NOT AS A REPRESENTATIVE OF ANY
PARTY.

Bye 4Now, KB Jobe.

if you have problems accessing the web interface and remember to write your
full name and e-mail address.