GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 12:14:30 -0500
Mr. Jow, thanks for forwarding this mail. I must confess that I do not
belong to a PDOIS mailing list and therefore was unaware of their reaction
to the outrageous decision of Yaya and Secka not to prosecute anyone for the
heinous massacre of our children on April 10 and 11. I hope other opposition
parties will follow in PDOIS' footsteps and publicly denounce this outrage.

I must however point out that although I applaud PDOIS for stating their
disagreement to this report from Cheyassin Secka, I have to say for the
record that I do not agree with PDOIS that the job done by the coroner and
the commission was satisfactory. I also vehemently oppose the notion of a
truth and reconciliation commission where killers will admit liability, seek
forgiveness from the parents and the government pay compensation to the
victims.

I think it is a sign of good leadership to admit mistakes and seek better
solutions. I believe PDOIS and everyone that was trying to convince us that
the commission was a good idea should admit their miscalculations or at
least leave the matter alone for now. Clearly, the commission of inquiry was
a failure. We all know that the bottom-line here is for a prosecutor to show
the whole world that Yaya ordered his security forces to open fire on our
children. It is ridiculous to say that we can only get that proof from a
commission of inquiry and a coroner's inquest. There are murders being tried
in courts everyday. Prosecutors do not need commissions of inquiry to gather
evidence. Why did we not tell Secka from day one that we need this case to
go to court and not waste time with a bogus commission of inquiry?

Few days after Ousman Jammeh was appointed coroner, I spelled out the powers
that was granted to him. If Jammeh was honest and competent and was prepared
to perform his duties to the best of his abilities without fear or favor, he
would have come up with names of individuals that were to be indicted for
this heinous crime. It was part of Jammeh's job to recommend that the
murderers be indicted. When Jammeh started pretending that he did not
understand his powers, I came here and unmasked his lies. Secka could have
told Jammeh at that stage that he (Jammeh) was not doing his job properly.
But because Secka is not interested in the truth, he waited until it is too
late and then decided to use Jammeh's stupidity and cowardice in order to
reject the report.

Apart from Secka, the Chief Justice that also reviewed Jammeh's report
should have known that Jammeh did not do a good job. They all decided to
look the other way. So let no one try to sell us the idea that the coroner
and the commission did a good job. It is courts that punish criminals. This
case belonged in a court of law and not before a coroner that does not
understand his powers and not before a bogus commission of inquiry that
would allow government officials to come before it and tell blatant lies.
This was my argument from the onset and at the end of the day, we should all
admit that nothing came out from these two bodies. We were just wasting our
time.

I agree that the commission and the inquest gave us a forum to turn rumor
into legal testimony. But what use is that testimony if it cannot convict
criminals? Does it not make more sense to have that testimony in a court
where at the end of the day a judge can convict and punish criminal?

I think it is principled on PDOIS' side to try and find a way out of this
mess without having a confrontation with the government. I understand their
calls (as pacifists) for a truth and reconciliation commission. However, I
have to register again my surprise about the naivete manifested here. Does
Yaya look like someone that is ready to reconcile with the people of The
Gambia? This massacre is not a political crime committed by reasonable men
(that even though you do not agree with their reasons, you at least
understand their reason for acting the way they did). This is a cold-blooded
and heinous atrocity committed by a callous regime that puts Yaya ahead of
every Gambian.

It is time to call a spade a spade and confront Yaya and force him to do
what is right. Vermin like Yaya cannot be held up to standards of reasonable
men we can deal with. I would understand if PDOIS wants to lead the people
and people are reluctant to take Yaya on. What I cannot understand, is
leaders staking out positions that are non-starters in my book. Opposition
parties should at least give their people the option to stand up against the
tyranny Yaya visits on them. I do not believe Gambians are such losers that
when called upon to demonstrate against this outrage, they will refuse. It
is a non-starter to just denounce this outrage and then give Yaya a
life-line by indicating that it might be acceptable to people if the
murderers just admit liability and seek forgiveness. These murderers should
be punished; starting from Yaya himself. We do not need any compensation
from them. If their hearts were in the right place, Yaya and his cohorts
would have paid all medical expenses for people like Yusupha Mbye that are
still suffering from gunshot wounds. No amount of compensation can bring
back the children (as young as three) that were massacred on April 10 and
11, 2000. All we want is for the criminals that were responsible for the
massacre be brought before a court of law and tried like a common criminal.
This is an opportunity for all leaders (political, religious etc.) to come
together and demonstrate against Yaya and his callous regime.
KB