GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ABDOUKARIM SANNEH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2007 20:44:10 +0100
Bailo
  Thanks for your frank opiunion about the issue. I am getting to bed because I started lectures tomorrow but will respond back to you your rejoiner. I You have gone through postgraduate programme.. Can you privately contact me at:- [log in to unmask]

bailo jallow <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Once upon a time, Robert Mugabe was a freedom fighter not only to his peoples but to Pan Africanists, the world over. I don't however think that he now deserves that accolade. He overstayed in power and with the passage of time transformed himself into a despot. The essence of every good government will remain to pursue policies towards sustainable development of their peoples. The fact of the matter is that Mugabe has mismanaged land reforms through his over-reliance on the forces of co-ercion and Zanu PF thugs. The unfortunate outcome is that by not deploying wisdom plus his insistence that the much-delayed land redistribution programme would be implemented within a unreasonable time span regardless of the consequences upon the land's productivity, a food sufficient nation that Zimbabwe once was is now almost a starving nation with a hyper inflation economy and whose peoples continue to depend more and more on food handouts from the World Food Programme for their
survival. Under the circumstances Mugabe has also become a major part of the problem in Zimbabwe.
Let's face it: Some of the current major problems in Zimbabwe while arising from British colonialism should not however be translated into a choice between Western government policies towards Zimbabwe's government and those of the latter towards White landowners of Zimbabwe. Rather it should be about the impact of all those policies on the peoples of Zimbabwe.
Mugabe and his henchmen are hardly feeling the consequences of their actions or reactions, it is the vast majority of Zimbabweans who are suffering and paying the daily exorbitant prices which they cannot afford any longer.

The first solution is that Mugabe should agree to retire and in returm be guaranteed his safety and for the South African Development Community to organise free and fair elections in Zimbabwe to allow the people to decide the nation's political destiny.

Thanks for the opportunity.

Bailo

ABDOUKARIM SANNEH wrote:
Glorifying Mugabe as a hero of African liberation to me does not translate to nothing order than sensational African politic. To be realistic it does not improve to the living condition of African. The so-called liberators end up as despotic and corrupt dictators. Gordon Brown is right and any decent leader should have no business with Mugabe or occupy a living space with him at any given time. The people in Zimbabwe are not interest with Mugabe's racist politic. A country of predominately black voters how comes some white MP'S are elected by black electorate under MDC ticket? The people in that country are more interest in bread and butter issues than the utopian dreams.

Lamin Darbo wrote:
Malanding:

I take no issue with the view that Mugabe should have gone at the pinnacle of his popularity some years ago, but you have to accept that because of who the oppressor was in Rhodesia, the varying elements of the Zimbabwe question implicates issues of timeless significance for those interested in African liberation.

If I must remind you, the instant debate centres on "Zimbabwe: Outrage Intensifies Over Brown's Threat". I cannot appreciate the logic in Brown dining with the likes of Bongo, younger Eyadema, Qaddafi, Musseveni, and our very own Jammeh, to name few similarly inclined despots, and complaining that Mugabe's dictatorship constitutes such an outrage on the conscience of humanity that he must be excluded from the useless Europe-Africa table of "partnership".

I know it is early hours in the States and so you must forgive by brevity as sunset is upon us here on the other side of the Atlantic.

LJDarbo

Malanding Jaiteh wrote:
Mr dear friend,
A human dung is a human dung, whether it is laid in a golden bowl at a
Hilton hotel near you or in a humble out-house somewhere in "darkest"
Africa. By asking us to look at the big fat dung in "the west" before
looking at our own backyard is not going to help. While Mr Mugabe must
be commended for his contribution to liberating Zimbabwe, and believe
me even his great nemisis Ian Smith or those in the current opposition
acknowledged that, his current status as one who do not want to leave
power cannot be ignored. And bytheway are we saying there are no
Zimbabwean out there to lead the country if Mr. Mugabe is gone? Or is
that the perception? Another thing that gets drowned in this debate is
the suggestion that black Zimbabweans ANYWHERE would give up their
right to land taken away from them by settlers less than a century ago.
I have never met a Zimbabwean who would and believe me I have met a
few! Mr Mugabe or no Mugabe the land issue will continue but perhaps
under a better person the transition will be much less painful.

Malanding

Lamin Darbo wrote:

> [...]
>
> For the educated Zimbabwe watcher, the critical question is whether any credibility should be accorded the leaders of key anti-Mugabe countries like the USA, the UK, and Australia. In light of their own defacto domestic policies on race relations and equal opportunity, the answer has got to be negative. As their most testing assignment must be their individual and collective abilities to navigate the global scene, Africa's future leaders must open their eyes to the realities of international politics and its intersection with domestic race relations in so-called "key democracies".
>
> On Zimbabwe, I do not think Africans should take lectures from the Anglo-Saxon tripartite of the USA, the UK, and Australia. This is not to say I do not wonder at the fantastic magic of the "rule of law" in these countries regarding matters touching on the white majority. We are simply incidental beneficiaries of the protection of the law, and even here the system routinely malfunctions with tragic consequences as in the case of the "Jena Six". And in the area of mainstream economic opportunity, the non-Caucasian is generally excluded.
>
> In a 2006 speech I gave on comparative "Rule of Law" to a Gambian group in the UK, please refer to the excerpt below:
>
> "For a dramatic demonstration of the rule of law in recent times, I suggest we foray into a systemic challenge to, and vindication of, the concept in the United States, that trail blazer jurisdiction of the all-encompassing principle of the sanctity of the human person. For the discernible student of modern international affairs - and we have many in this immediate audience and beyond - the United States stands for carnage and abuse. I accept the partial validity of any such observation, and for good measure, I readily concede that like our host nation, the United States stands legitimately accused of pervasive institutional racism against its non-Caucasian peoples. I am willing, at some future date, to discuss the institutional racism clearly prevalent in the United States, and the United Kingdom, in particular, and western liberal democracies, in general, but for present purposes, I am happy to confine my excitement to dilating on the critical significance of the rule
> of law in public life."
>
> I urge you to relentlessly continue your crusade for Pan African consciousness in that political Gambia must be educated about its salvation not residing in the British gathering of the Commonwealth of Nations, or the global gathering at the imperialist instrumentality of the United Nations, not to mention the Arab gathering at the Islamic Conference.
>
> I agree that we must unshackle our minds, and thank you for your perspective!

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい