GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
sidi sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 08:09:28 -0800
Today,International Women's Day, belongs to the women
folk around the world and, in particular, to our
Gambian women who make up 50 percent of our
population, the majority of whom dwell in rural
Gambia, engaged in rural agriculture, represent 50
percent of our agricultural labour force and produce
about 40 percent of the total agricultural
production.They spend every day processing and
preparing food and supplying us with most of the basic
needs of the Gambian family:child rearing, health
care, clothing, shelter, water and fuel.All of these
activities keep women busy 16 hours a day.They manage
to perform all these back-breaking chores despite
their disadvantaged position in society; no access to
productive resources particularly agricultural inputs,
hardly any access to credit from the banking system,
lack information, lack access to education, do not own
land in many cases.The last thing that women need from
men folk is patronising words and policies.What they
want,and should get,is equal opportunity:access to
education,access to credit, access to land,recognition
of their contribution to GDP.I salute all women
everywhere.
sidi sanneh