GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebou Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:31:58 -0700
Mr. Boye,

This is quintessential Gaullish arrogance from these French sidekicks called Senegalese..They have absolutely no respect for Gambia's territorial integrity.  I  will advice Jammeh to slam the borders with padlocks till further notice.  Do you have any idea what signal these Senegalese soldiers were sending to the Gambian population...?  It is a nightmare.  They are essentially telling the Gambia government that the Senegalese Army can wreak havoc in the Gambia anytime, anyhow and anywhere they want whilst playing Mbalax.  I am very confident that they must have sneaked their weapons through the border.  It is high time for the Gambians to start thinking about the Senegalese as the enemy they are.  They do not mean well for the Gambia.

To hell with that old crook, Laye Wade.

Ebou Jallow

ams boye <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
It is indeed a sad thing that two neighbours whose people share almost the same ethnic cultures and traditional backgrounds, are at logger-head. It`s not in our interest as Gambians, seeing our people tearing apart with neighbours, much more with Senegal. The sourse of all these is selfishness, from whose part? Is a Million Dollar question i do not wanna waste time finding an answer to.
Governments should be responsible, and act in a way that is in their interest and the interest of their people. This should not mean they are not to take into consideration, ensuring lasting peaceful co-existance with neighbours. As neighbours The Gambian and senegalese governments should work together as responsible partners of each other, to realize their individual economic goals. They must not in any way act in a way that would jeopardise the unique peace and stability the region and its people enjoy today.
It is also our responsibility as Gambians not to use this as a campaign or
sabotage tool against The Gambia Government, or take it to mean their failure in the issue at hand.

What The Gambia Security Forces did was the right thing to do. What on earth could Senegalese Soldiers be finding in the heart of the city of Banjul? Armed, with uniforms as the roport states. It was gross irresponsibility form the part of the senegalese, to enter Gambian territory in such manner without authority, its obvious that the Gambian authorities would be suspicious because they have every right to.

Senegal should start to respect and recognize the Gambia as a soverign state. They should stop terming us "petit Gambie". And to ensure a lasting solution to this both Governments should discuss and find lasting solutions to this, which would in the long-run be the interest of both and their people.