GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:28:01 -0800
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 12:52:01 EST
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
Subject: [AfricaMatters] Hello from Florida - the Sunshine State

Dear friends of Africa:

I have been following the discussions, recommendations and commentary on NSOA
from many of you and I thank you all for generating useful information and
ideas on Africa. I have observed, as is typical of any organization, the
various organizational issues that arises when 2 or more people are gathered!
I must hasten to add that this open dialogue is healthy and welcomed. It will
suffice to reiterate that many organizations have lofty goals, however, it is
the attitude and behaviour of the individuals involved that determine the
success or failure of organizations!  NSOA will succeed and achieve its goals
only to the extent of our collective will and dispositions.

I have already begin to see divisions and perhaps the ultimate struggle for
power. It should be noted that NSOA is not a forum to air personal
grieviances, or to perpetuate our self-interest, or for personal revenge
against brutal & corrupt African governments, or corporate America or the
staff and Board members of NSOA. So long as we remember this basic and
fundamental principle, NSOA will succeed.

Many have argued that NSOA is just another "Africa friendly or Africa focused
organization" in competition with already existing NGO's. My grand father
once told me that when a hunter kills an elephant, he does not drag the
animal home by himself. He goes back to the village and invite everyone to
assist him. Africa, is a continent of 54 countries with more than an
estimated 750 million inhabitants and monumental and complex but surmountable
problems. We need all the Africa friendly and Africa focused NGO's to work
together, regardless of their niches to draw maximum attention to the
continent. We must therefore work together in a complementary manner rather
than in competition.

Now to the affairs of Florida State...

Florida State is in the process of reorganization. Prior to the summit the
work was largely coordinated by our founding chair. After the summit, we
elected five (5) regional co-chairs to coincide with the five State regions.

Since our return from the summit we have:

Provided a summarized report of the our work in D.C. to the staff of the
Executive Mayor of Miami-Dade county and to the Mayor's Africa's Trade Task
Force Committee on March 2, 2000.

Met with Ms. Beverly G. Falby, Foreign Policy Advisor to Congressman Alcee
Hastings of the 23rd congressional district of Florida on March 10, 2000.

Our short term plan of action include:

visit our State Governor (Republican Gov. Jebb Bush) and other national and
State legislators in the coming weeks.

organize fundraising events and media attention on Africa

establish a State secretariat

prepare a bid to host the next south east regional meeting.

We must not deviate from the task of building rainbow bridges of
opportunities between Africa and America. There is a lot of work to be done.
Let's roll up our sleves and get the job done. Thank you for you attention
and support and remember that our Attitude determines our Altitude!

Desmond Alufohai, Florida State co-chair

To the extent possible, please keep postings concise. Our archives are at : http://www.egroups.com/group/us-afr-network .  To Post a message, send it to [log in to unmask] .  Tell others to subscribe by sending a blank message to [log in to unmask] .  To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: [log in to unmask]

@Backup- Protect and Access your data any time, any where on the net.
Try @Backup FREE and recieve 300 points from mypoints.com Install now:
http://click.egroups.com/1/2345/5/_/192352/_/953142731/

-- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/us-afr-network/?m=1