GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 12:27:30 GMT
Gambia-L:

The e-mail below came from one of my sources in the Gambia.

Ebrima

Hello Ebrima,

The "family" pressure I referred to yesterday that I feared will be applied
on Fatou Bom Bensouda to accept the post of Attorney General is beginning to
manifest itself through the husband. I did not want to be very explicit, so
that was why I mentioned "family". It is common knowledge that Bom's
husband, Philip Bensouda, is inextricably linked to the Crude Oil saga,
particularly in connection with the second deal which dumped off Sam Sarr.
Now, Yahya is threatening "to put Philip in trouble if Fatou Bom does not
get back on board." I do not want to mention names at this point but one
prominent Lebanese businessman in Banjul who has acted as middle man, on and
off, since "these people" seized power, is applying great pressure on Fatou
Bom through her husband to return as Attorney General, so that he, the
businessman, can continue to protect his interest. EBRIMA, THIS REGIME CAN
DO US A GREAT FAVOUR BY RESIGNING. They have really put The Gambia in a lot
of mess. My advise to Fatou Bom is to stay clear of these unsavory
characters. She has already done some damage to her reputation and those
close to her by associating with a rogue Cabinet. On a different note, tell
KB and all the Gambia-L members that they will get an unadultrated version
of the Commission of Inquiry's Report. I will get a copy and mail it to
Ebrima who will decide how best to make it available to the L, following the
barbaric act of Jammeh's security forces against Gambian school children.
Also, we in the Gambia are all impressed with the way you have been handling
the Dumo Saho's affair, together with the others. Furthermore, always
remember that there are Lalo jaiteh, ADC Paul Sambou and many others still
under detention. Please keep the pressure on. We are doing all we can on the
ground by providing information. The international campaigning and "getting
the word out" is your responsibility. The Jammeh monsters MUST be defeated
at the next ballot box. May God bless you all.

PS: As for Cheyassin Secka, he could not even have access to his office for
the good part of last week.