GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 22:12:20 EDT
Conteh,

Indeed, above all else, we must remember the reason that an allinace should
be forged, but we must also realize that it cannot be forged without
transparency and a level playing field for all involved.
Now that Dibba has explained his side of the story, I think Brother Halifa
Sallah may be right on this count, and i may need to apologize to Mr Dibba
for accusing him of holding back this alliance. However, before I jump the
gun, I will wait for the PPP, UDP and others to speak up.
I had asumed that all the posible actors in this coalition have been in
communication on all fronts, with meetings including all players, and that
some had still remained reluctant to participate despite that.
It is now imperative for all the parties to speak up and relay what has
transpired up to now in trying to forge this alliance. For example, the
statement by Mr Dibba that PDOIS was not formally invited to the meeting is
an interesting one, and needs clarification, and I hope PDOIS will also tell
us their side of the story.

I agree that the last thing we need is for a possible solution to become a
divisive issue. That would be very unfortunate because the people will be the
loosers, and we will end up with another five or more years of Jammeh.

Whatever the reason was for these rifts, I think that if everyone is sincere
in the pursuit of forging a real coalition and in moving our country forward,
 and not just in the formation of a speacial alliance between certain
groups,this whole process needs to be reconvened and everyone formally
invited, and people should be ready to make concessions in order to move
forward.
The rest of the parties involved owe the people their side of the story
before we can say much more.

Jabou Joh