GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 21:31:45 EST
In a message dated 11/8/99 2:36:19 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

 There goes Dr Ayitteh again, and this time he strikes at Halifa with
condescending remarks. As Gambians we know Halifa far better than Ayitteh,
and it`s time for us to do some talking. I share Ayitteh`s comments regarding
the contribution of some African intellectuals in the mess ravaging the
continent, but I`ll hasten to inform him that Halifa does not belong to that
category. This is a man who is committed to the development of the lives of
the Gambian people and the country as a whole, and he is at pains to realise
this.

 What is so wrong and "absolete" about pointing out the evils of "western
colonialism and imperialism"? Yes it is true that Halifa points out the
problems these forces have created in the underdevelopment of the continent,
but I cannot remember anywhere where he stated that they are to blame for
everything. We all know that most of our post-independence leaders had messed
up big time, and Halifa as far as I can remember has been eloquent in
pointing out where these leaders went wrong.The average Gambian has
experienced a life of total decadence and deprivation, lack of adequate
educational and health facilities and a life of the ghettoes and slums. These
are among other things which Halifa has been struggling to rectify, and he
had always made his message across to The Gambian  leaders. Sir Dawda knows
about this. So , to categorize him as part of those who believe that African
leaders can do no wrong is totally unfounded. I`m sure Halifa knows that
Nyerere was not all perfect, but he should not be chastized for giving the
man the credit he deserved in the manner of Dr Ayitteh.