GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:20:02 -0400
The peaceful demonstration that ensued to commemorate last year's Massacre,
just goes to show how senseless and avoidable the Bloody Massacre of April
10 and 11, 2000, was. Students were angrier this time; not to downplay their
anger when they were fighting for Ebrima Barry and Binta Manneh. This time
around, injustice is being done in the case of the cold-blooded murder of 14
children as young as three. The atrocity is more heinous than what prompted
students to demonstrate on April 10 and 11, 2000.

Why was this one peaceful and the other one bloody? Among other things, this
time around Yaya has been demystified. The vermin is no longer sure of
himself. The coward's impotence has been unmasked. During the year he has
realized in no uncertain terms that Gambians are not going to let him and
his bunch of losers walk all over people. During the year he sent his thugs
to try and ambush Darboe and they failed in their diabolical mission. During
the year the cowards went in droves to assassinate the proprietor of Radio
FM and were scared away by two brave individuals before they could carry out
Yaya's and Baba Jobe's deadly orders. During the year a sustained assault
has been launched to continue to inform people about Yaya's ineptitude and
unfitness to lead. During the year, Dumo et al have been abducted, kidnapped
and tortured and these brave citizens did not break down and confess to
crimes they did NOT commit. Many things have happened to highlight Yaya's
insanity and cowardice when he ordered the massacre of our children.

The fact that this was peaceful also shatters another lie that was being
peddled by the illegal government we have back home. Part of the reason Yaya
gave those shoot to kill orders on April 10 and 11, 2000 was because he
thought that the Opposition back home was instigating the students. You see,
Yaya's sick and cowardly brain will permit him to use lives of innocent and
defenseless children in order to perpetuate himself by sending a message to
the Opposition. We in the Opposition would not even think of that. We have
consciences and we have blood running in our veins. All Yaya was concerned
about last April 10 and 11, was to prevent his overthrow and his replacement
by one of the Opposition leaders. In the face of this imagined enemy
(Opposition leaders he thought instigated the students), he decided to
defend himself at all cost. He decided to use our children in order to send
a message to his Opponents. That message is loud and clear. Yaya wants his
Opponents to understand that: IF HE YAYA IS PREPARED TO MASSACRE CHILDREN AS
YOUNG AS THREE IN ORDER TO PERPETUATE HIMSELF, HE WILL NOT HESITATE TO
MURDER OPPOSITION LEADERS THAT WANT TO REMOVE HIM.

This is the simple message the vermin wanted to send to the Opposition
leaders. Needless to say, the message backfired. In light of  the
nonexistence of evidence to link Opposition leaders to the student
demonstrators, I ask, who is using children in order to further a political
ambition? Who massacred children in order to perpetuate himself? Who
massacred children in order to scare the Opposition leaders?

Yaya and his cohorts are in denial. We will not allow them to ignore these
self-evident truths. Yaya has never once denied responsibility for the
massacre. On the contrary, he tacitly admits responsibility by not blaming
his top military and cabinet personnel. Until yesterday when Kebba Jobe
tried to craftily shift focus to Isatou Njie-Saidy, the official APRC stance
was that "the children asked for it. Their parents did not bring them up
properly. Blame the victims. I, Yaya have shown the children and the whole
world who the boss is. I am not impotent. I am a macho man." That is what
APRC and Yaya was saying.

Yaya is attempting to deny responsibility now because he realized that his
calculations went terribly wrong. Instead of being scared, Gambians now know
that he is the worst coward on the face of the earth. The vermin also
realizes that there are individuals that will ensure that the criminals that
perpetrated this heinous massacre, face justice. Now, he is trying to run
away from his macho image because he wants to beat the murder rap. He wants
to hide behind a woman (Isatou Njie-Saidy) this time. Last year, he used our
children to perpetuate himself. Now he is attempting to use a woman to get
away with murder. Let low-life be my guest and fry Isatou Njie-Saidy. I care
less if he blows the woman's sick brain. But that will not help Yaya in any
way. Yaya will have to pay for his role in the cold-blooded massacre of our
children on April 10 and 11, 2000. This isn't about revenge. This is about
justice and the rule of law. According to the laws of the land, not to
mention laws of natural justice and humanity, murderers get punished for
their crimes. We send a wrong message to the Yayas and the Hitlers of this
world if we allow them to get away with the cold-blooded and callous
massacre of defenseless and innocent children as young as three.
KB