GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 22:00:42 -0700
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 20:09:57 -0700
From: Carol D. McRoberts <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [WASAN] women's growing role in Nigerian oil region crisis

FYI

> [...]
> for amenities and access to more of the oil wealth produced in their
> backyards.
>
> But after Olusegun Obasanjo, a retired general, was elected president in
> 1999, he acknowledged decades of neglect by previous governments. He then
> pledged to address the grievances of the ethnic minorities that inhabit
the
> Niger Delta, which accounts for most of the petroleum produced by the
> world's sixth largest exporter.
>
> However he also increased the military presence at key installations. On a
> number of occasions in the past two years, soldiers have opened fire on
> militant youths attempting to invade oil facilities, killing or wounding a
> significant number. This has acted as a deterrent and the result has been
> substantial decline in invasions recorded recently.
>
> But Obasanjo's inclination to concentrate oil revenue in the federal
> government, his reluctance to concede a bigger share to oil-region states,
> and the fact that his election promises have been slow to materialise
appear
> to have fueled a renewed surge of restiveness in the oil areas.
>
> The action of some 150 women aged between 30 and 90 who seized a
> ChevronTexaco boat and made it to the company's ESCRAVOS export terminal
> marked the first time women were entering the oil fray as a group. Their
> demands were the same ones the militant young men have always made: jobs
and
> amenities, including potable water and electricity for their villages.
>
> Their tactic was to occupy the airstrip, the helicopter pad and the docks,
> denying aircraft and sea vessels access to the facility, which is bordered
> by the Atlantic Ocean and crocodile-infested swamps and creeks. Invoking a
> very effective local taboo, they threatened to take off their clothes if
the
> security forces attacked them. Some 700 people, including Nigerian,
> American, Canadian and British employees of ChevronTexaco, were trapped at
> the Escravos facility for the 10 days the siege lasted.
>
> As the effectiveness of their action became obvious, more women joined
them,
> swelling the number to about 2,000. Hundreds of other women from
neighboring
> villages, copying their move, invaded other swamp facilities operated by
> ChevronTexaco and shut them down, making similar demands as their
> counterparts at Escravos. The occupations only ended after the oil company
> proposed agreements the concerned communities considered acceptable.
>
> While the siege lasted, the security forces assigned to the facilities
could
> only look on, apparently with strict instructions from the authorities not
> to engage the protesters.
>
> "The communities demonstrated some political sophistication by adopting a
> tactic which made nonsense of the government's military option," Mike
Agama,
> [...]
> important not only to the United States but to the entire oil-consuming
> world," Kansteiner told reporters. "It is a strategic interest that we are
> keen to see oil production and exploration continue in the region."
>
> Moreover, Nigeria is dependent on oil exports for more than 95 percent of
> its  foreign income. With disruptions sometimes cutting exports by up to a
> third, the question that arises is how long will the government remain
> patient in dealing with the women protesters?
>
> An indication emerged following another protest march (on 8 August) by
women
> in the oil town of Warri. They besieged the operational headquarters of
> ChevronTexaco and Shell with placards accusing the companies of polluting
> their environment, and forced work to stop. According to newspaper
reports,
> a woman was shot dead after a soldier fired into the crowd to disperse the
> protesters.
>
> However, it appears that a high-handed response from the federal
government
> would not be enough to extinguish the zeal of the highly mobilised
> inhabitants of the Niger Delta to continue their campaign for a higher
share
> of Nigeria's oil wealth.
>
> The communities enjoy the tacit support of their state governments. The
> ultimate objective is a 50:50 split of oil revenue between the federal and
> regional administrations. At the moment, the federal government takes 87
> percent and the state government of each oil region gets 13 percent.
>
> "Thirteen percent is nonsense," David Ejoor, a retired major-general who
was
> governor of part of the Niger Delta during Nigeria's 1967-70 civil war,
told
> reporters recently. Ejoor, now an oil-region activist, takes an ominous
view
> of the future: "Until they go to 50:50 the area will not be
satisfied...and
> if nothing is done, the people will just break away from Nigeria."
>
> [ENDS]
>
> IRIN-WA
> Tel: +225 22-40-4440
> Fax: +225 22-41-9339
> Email: [log in to unmask]
> [This Item is Delivered to the "Africa-English" Service of the UN's IRIN
> humanitarian information unit, but may not necessarily reflect the views
> of the United Nations. For further information, free subscriptions, or
> to change your keywords, contact e-mail: [log in to unmask] or Web:
> http://www.irinnews.org . If you re-print, copy, archive or re-post
> this item, please retain this credit and disclaimer. Reposting by
commercial
> sites requires written IRIN permission.]
>
> Copyright (c) UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs 2002
>

> This is a listserver set up by the CSD Women's Caucus, a global group of
women and men working on gender & sustainable development issues. It has
been established to circulate information in preparation for  the UN
Commission on Sustainable Development Sessions and Earth Summit 2002
(officially the World Summit on Sustainable Development, Johannesburg, South
Africa, Sept. 2002).
> To learn more about the CSD Women's Caucus activities, check the web-site
at www.earthsummit2002.org/wcaucus/csdngo.htm.

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/Ey.GAA/DKgolB/TM

Next WASAN meeting is Wednesday, August 28, 2002. Location: Safeco Jackson Street Center, E Main between 23 &amp; 24, Suite 200, Seattle
7:00 pm Business meeting (everyone is welcome)
7:30 PM "Africa 101: The Diversity and Complexity of Africa." Everyone is welcome.

We usually meet the fourth Wednesday of the month. For a calendar of local Africa events see http://www.ibike.org/africamatters/calendar.htm .  To post a message: [log in to unmask]  To subscribe send a message to [log in to unmask]  To unsubscribe send a message to [log in to unmask] . All past postings are archived at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wa-afr-network