GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:12:56 -0400
Comrades:

Political extremism is a danger in any society.  It is a right for us to advocate
policies relative to the Gambia but arrogance, negatives the good we strive
to preach.  As a matter of principle, we may be scaring people away.
I believe that political moderation and willingness to debate critically are
elements that may move us forward.

I refuse to join in a crusade of insults.  Dr. Janneh has every right to be
associated with any group.  I condemn any Gambian calling him names.
As a Gambian, I move to respect any decision adopted by any Gambian.
I believe that a person's temperament evaluates his or her character.

What scares me is that some of us are arrogant.  Can you entrust such people
to lead should the opposition win?  Are we not trying to convince our audience
about the values of democracy?  Does this mean we have to insult them?
I hope not!

We should also learn from our mistakes and vow to never repeat them.
I sincerely believe that words used in a medium of exchange should
be assessed before they are uttered.

My vision for political debate is entirely based on civility and respect for
for those that I disagree with.  I hope we can come to the realization
that, though we may disagree in principle, our objective is to have a free
and democratic Gambia.  We do not have absolute power and yet we are
rude and arrogant.

I must pause for a moment and remember the late Hon. MC Jallow.  Comrades,
if one has to evaluate or name a good and well-mannered person, the late
Hon. MC Jallow was a perfect example.  This man was so humble and easy going
that he never had any enemy in the opposition.

May God or Allah guide us in this endeavor.

Naphiyo,
Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh