GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 09:40:18 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

"We all agree that it is a problem, let us educate people and condemn any
tribal activities and comments"

Ndey,
I agree with you comments in general and those of Soffie, and your above
statement is what was actually being attempted by me and others. However, let me
set the record straight once more because there is unfortunately a tendency for
people to decide that an exchange is about what they perceive it to be, as
opposed to what it actually is.

My position is that Yaya Jammeh is playing the tribal card and that we as
Gambians must condemn it and discuss it openly so that this problem does not
escalate into a more serious one. I also condemn the fact that Joe Sambou goes
bizerk every time there is an attempt to discuss this tribalism issue, and most
important of all, he uses the devious tactic of misrepresenting that what I and
others are doing is labelling all Jolas as tribalists.

Now, I will be grossly dissappointed if you, Soffie and all others who are
commenting on this issue actually give the impression that what I and others are
doing is promoting tribalism semtiments. I expect that both of you as well as
many people who I have a deep respect for can decipher between what I in
particular wrote in every post on this issue and you can check the archives, and
that is, problems are solved when there is open discussion and this has to be
done regardign thsi tribalism issue.
I hope that the position is now clear as it has always been if anyone reads
all that has been written.
The other issue has to do with both my personal conclusions as well as
information that some of us received that seems to point suspicion at Joe Sambou as
being a possible agent of the regime. The question was put to him and he lost
control and started sending out numerous profanities in emails that are on the
list for all to see.
There is no reason for that sort of language in any intelligent exchamge, no
matter what the subject being  discussed is.
I hope that while people are in the process of being objective, it will also
be noted that any exchange does not have to include the profanity that Joe
Sambou levelled at me in particular. I hope that the list Managers will consider
that issue and treat it according to the rules of this list.

Jabou Joh