GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 16:11:01 GMT
HAMAT ATTACKS
NRP leader, Hamat Bah, has called on President Yahya Jammeh to resign his
post and allow the APRC to select another candidate for the coming
presidential elections.
The Upper Saloum representative was speaking at a press conference, Friday
at the NRP bureau, Banjul.
"President Jammeh has lost control of the country and want to impose himself
on the people against their will. Come October 2001 elections, he will
fail."
Bah said President Jammeh "wants to destroy the APRC and The Gambia. But we
will never allow that to happen in this country."
He further accused President Jammeh of having total disregard of the
Constitution by threatening to bury people 100 feet deep. "Knowing fully
well that there is a law in this country, that every offence can be
addressed by our law, we've seen him violating the laws of this country and
he thinks that he would get away with it. In appointing the former PPP
minister of Youth as deputy mobiliser, he has shown us that he president
does not respect the laws of this country," Bah said.
He further called on Gambians to disregard all what Jammeh has said "because
that is sowing the seed of discord." Bah called for the maintenance of peace
and stability in The Gambia.
Hamat Bah said the crude oil motion is not dead. You will realise soon that
it is alive. We challenged President Jammeh to tell Gambians where the US$4
million paid for the purchase of Atlantic Hotel is. We also want to know
about the US$3million of Ebou Jallow that was returned to the state. Where
is the money? Gambians want to know. And he has still not made any
explanation of the US$52 million five-year development grant given to this
country by Taiwan. We want him to make a statement on that," Bah added.
"Gambians are not interested in threats. Those are things of the past. This
country has gone beyond that. We have seen so much of deaths, since 1994. So
many Gambians have perished that we don't fear death anymore, we have seen
so much of it."
He said President Jammeh was wrong by saying that students were used to
demonstrate against his government. He challenged President Jammeh to
provide evidence to back up his claims.
He called on President Jammeh to stop receiving his salary "because he has
abandoned his office. He has taken Kanilai as his residence. He is not doing
his job. He is not reporting to work at State House where his office is."
Bah spoke about President Jammeh's overseas trips, saying, "Jammeh's six
year travel will soon cover Jawara's 30 years travel".
He also criticised the country's economic situation.
Refutation
He also refuted claim that five villages in his constituency defected to
APRC.
He accused the APRC of "blowing things out of proportion."
Alpha Buray Jawo, NRP administration secretary, NRP chaired the press
conference.