GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
panderry mbai <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 2006 23:49:42 +0000
LAGOS, Feb. 6 (Xinhua) -- The ruling party in Gambia and five opposition parties led by National Alliance for Democracy and Development on Monday signed a memorandum of understanding to ensure peace after Nigerian president's mediation.       "They had agreed to conduct the campaigns leading to the 2006 elections peacefully without the use of foul and derogatory language against each other," the official News Agency of Nigeria quoted Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo as saying.
      "They also agreed to subscribe to a code of conduct in compliance with the laws of the land and pledged not to incite violence throughout the country during the campaigns."
      The document was signed in Banjul, capital of Gambia, by the representatives of the five political parties, before the host president Yahya Jammeh and the mediator, Obasanjo.
      Speaking shortly before the signing, President Jammeh said to underscore government's willingness to abide by the resolutions, all pending cases against some members of opposition would be dropped.
      "I am always a man of peace because I have no personal hatred for anybody but there must be mutual respect between us," he stressed.
      In his comment, Obasanjo thanked all the political parties in Gambia for giving him the honor to mediate between them and hoped that the 2006 elections would be conducted peacefully.
      "We must be civil during the campaigns and we must also show respect for the authority and age," he said.
      Jammeh's government is in its second and last term of five years in office. Feelers from a cross section of Gambians indicated that he is likely to seek a third term. Enditem
            Related Story