GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 2003 10:24:21 -0400
Mr. Jallow:

I hereby stand by my statements on this immigration issue.  Documentation will reveal that I talked to the person in question on a stated date and time.  I have my phone records and I am willing to provide them to any authority that requests it.  I have not violated any law in the U.S.  I am also aware that the person has an integrated system that registers incoming calls. I have also adviced the person to be careful because there is always a tomorrow in which he/she might seek help from the very people he/she is intimidating.

I am not naming names, but If you know who I talked to, so be it.  I will not reveal my source.  You have all the rights to inform any authority you want to.  I am absolutely sure that this person will not deny that I talked to him/her.  We live in a democratic society, and I am not hiding any undocumented worker here in Greensboro, NC.  The U.S. Justice and Immigration Department can call me, and visit me at anytime. If the Embassy of the Gambia is behind this, shame on all the embassy staff who dare stoop that law in indimidating the opposition.

There is no law in the U.S. that commands its residents to report undocumented workers.  The job lies with the immigration officials.  This is not a "Kaninlai Mansa" decree.

Overtime, I have come to the realization that we seek the interest of the Gambia, irrespective of our differences.  I refuse to engage myself in insults and immaturity.  One criteria is that we must understand that arrogance drives people away.  I have no problem visiting any Jammeh fan and confer with him or her in empowering the Gambian community in the U.S.  My vision for a better Gambia knows no political boundaries.

It is disturbing that the African community is unable to have any political clout in the U.S.  We are our worst enemies.  It is practically impossible to lobby congress on issues important to Africa if we continue to be divided by political ignorance.

We are fortunate to reside in U.S.  I wonder about innoncent Africans back home, who are intimidated continuously by dictatorial governments.  It is high time that Africans realized their continent's potential.  We can never achieve even an equilibrium of progress if we engage in arrogance and intimidation.

I shake my head when I see the Hispanic community broadcasting on our local tv in Spanish.  I envy their clout and unity.  I ask myself: "what is wrong with the African community?"  One source is tribalism.  It is the worst sin in Africa.  If one cries about racism, how about an African using tribal sentiments against another African of the same country or continent?  This culprit should not be endorsed by any African.

Finally, I want to take a moment in thanking the originators of Gambia-L.  I must admit that they have helped me me professionally and socially.  I am now able to look at things at face value and critcally assert a degree of tolerance.

May Allah lead you to a sight of tolerance and understanding.  May he remove the evil in you. I hope you return the money you stole from the Gambian people.

Naphiyo,
Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh, Instructor