GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Emmanuel N'Dow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 20:28:45 PST
Saul, I read your text and before raising my concerns; I'd like to commend you
on a well written paper, it sure opened my eyes. Now to the "rat Killer".
First, I think you should revisit your text again and include the Diallo case.
I wonder, would you expand more  on the jury system as regards to the role of
judges in the selection process and the instructions they give jurors. In the
Diallo case, the prosecution asked the jury to look at the case in the eyes of
the deceased, the defense also urged the jury to look at the case in the
defendants eyes; that was fair game. However, the judge's instructions to the
jury ignored Amadou Diallo,instead came down on the side of the defense. I am
no lawyer, but in an adversarial system like we have here, I think judges
should be equitable in their instruction to jurors and not "gil the Lily". I
watched CNBC with Dan Abrams reporting that the judge actually went upstairs
where  defense councils and their clients were and congratulated them. That
really stinks and in my opinion UN ethical. If you will, explain to us the
degree to which judges effectuate the jury process.
Jury Consultants:
"It is some social science indeed; because what the jury consultant does in
plain language is to help his or her client stack the jury with people most
likely to be sympathetic to their case- the facts notwithstanding"
This is win by any means possible, let justice be damn. Can you expound on how
and when jury consultants evolve and whether or not they do more harm than
good. One cannot help but think back to yester- years in Texas when lawyers
would find the most prejudice jury prospects to win their cases. Can you
enlightened us .
Daddy Sang