GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Saihou Mballow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 03:12:54 EDT
List members,
I here by bring to you the updates on the political situation in The
Gambia.Since my last posting,i continue to talk with people in Basse and
received fax masseges from verious corners in URD.
The UDP party leader Ousainou Darboe,Yaya Jallow,Hon.Kemeseng Jammeh and all
the party supporters in the entourage are under arrest and charged with
murder.
Today tuesday 7AM Gambian time ,i last spoke to elders and senior UDP
officials in Basse.They told that,''we arereally worried about this problem
because over 50 UDP officials and supporters are keept in one small
unhygienic police station and Lybia trained terrorist Baba Jobe is frquenly
going in and out of the police station uttering abusive language on both the
police offices on duty and the detainees''.They said that when Baba Jobe
arrived at the Basse police station ,he requested for the immediate release
of the detained ''Government thugs''the members of the defunct 22nd july
movement and to charge the opposition officials with muder, which the police
did.
For your information,Lamin Waa Juwara didn't go to Basse.He is safe and well
in Brikama because i have just spoken to his closest friend.
I am sleepy now but surely will continue to bring the updates.
Thanks for now
Saihou