GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 21:50:47 +0000
Malanding,

  Congratulation for securing this wonderful arrangement for the L. There couldn't be a better solution. Hope this arrangement, if it does not mean a permant home for the L, will at least be one that will last for a very long time to come.

  Browsing through the *Policies* section I could not find any reference to sending in HTML messages or attachments. As SJU had forfeited the possiblity of sending in attachments, I wonder what the policy is going to be  with ICORS. Any idea?

  In any case, with or without such a facility(to some extend a luxury, considering) the arrangemnt is a wonderful one.

  Regards,

  Kabir.

Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Folks,
The management after considering all options, has chosen ICORS to be
Gambia-l's new home. ICORS is incorporated by former managers of
Maelstrom lists as a replacement to St. Johns services. I include one of
their messages as a backgrounder.
From what we know ICORS will work very much like St. Johns. The
transition will be seamless. All subscribers, and archives will be
migrated at once so no one should worry about resubscribing. Except
during hours leading to the migration when the list will be put on hold,
subscribers would not need to do anything. The migration is scheduled
January 11. We will inform you when this is confirmed. In theory members
do not have to do anything during the migration except exercise a little
patience as messages sent during the hold period would not be delivered
right away. Once migration is completed there will be a new addresses to
send request for subscription and messages to the list.

In order to help support this venture ICORS have asked for an annual
dues/donations of 20 dollars US. This we believe is a fair deal and glad
to say 2006 dues have already been paid for by one of the managers.

This is where things stand and we will keep you updated as soon as we
know more. Please do not hesitate to ask questions we will do our best
to answer them when we can.

Malanding Jaiteh

Dear Maelstrom Listowner community,

In recent months there have been rumors that SJU is contemplating shutting down
Maelstrom. A decision was supposed to be reached in May, with 6 months warning
before the potential shutdown, but that announcement has been delayed. We are
very grateful that SJU has spent the money and resources to make Maelstrom
possible all these years, and sad to see that this era may pass.