GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 15:34:18 EST
Members of Gambia-L:

The Gambia Education Support Organization hereby presents its second
Activity report.

Those of you who are new to the List,  GESO was established in 1998 after
some Gambia-L members expressed the need for an organization to be
established to help out education in the Gambia.  The Mission is to provide
assistance to Gambians and Gambian institutions in education in The Gambia.

1. TRANSITION TEAM:

We are pleased to inform you that Anna Secka recently joined the Transition
Team to help our Website crew (Malanding, Momodou Camara, and Francis Njie).
Other members of the Transition Team are:

Malanding Jaiteh -  Strategic Planner
Moe S. Jallow - Computer Subcommittee
Anna Secka - Computer Subcommittee
Musa Jeng - Member responsible for Marketing and Membership Recruitment
Awa Sey - Administrative Assistant
Momodou Camara -Denmark Zone Coordinator; Computer Subcommittee
Francis Njie - Computer Subcommittee
Ndey Jobarteh - UK Interim-Zone Coordinator
Jabou Joh - North America Zone Coordinator
Amadou Kabir Njie - Norway Zone Coordinator
Solomon Sylva - Member responsible for Marketing and Membership Recruitment
Bouharry Gassama - Member Responsible for Legal Matters
Bassirou Dodou Drammeh - Gambia Zone Coordinator
Ancha Bala-Gaye - Gambia Zone Coordinator
Abdou Oujimai Gibba - Member
Musa Sowe - Member

2.  REPORT FROM THE ZONES:

a. United Kingdom:

Recruiting members from UK was quite a challenge for us.  However, we are
pleased to inform you that in August 1999, the Transition Team invited Ms.
Ndey Jobarteh and Mr. Ebrima Ceesay to join our Team and help coordinate GESO
activities in the United Kingdom.  We anticipated that putting such great
minds would help us in our efforts to spread the GESO word -- And yes,
they've delivered within such a short period. Ndey Jobarteh is the
Interim-Zone Coordinator.

Equally gratifying, is the involvement of Mr. Mike Carrick who diligently
worked with Ndey and Ebrima in sending out invitation letters via e-mail and
snail mail, to a good number of Gambians and non-Gambians in the UK.  In
their letter, they invited people in the UK to become involved in GESO UK,
and also informed them about their activities.

GESO UK has since then held 3 meetings (two in London and one in Birmingham).
 If you are a resident of the UK and would like to join or need more
information about GESO UK, please help make Mike, Ndey and Ebrima's efforts
worthwhile by becoming a GESO UK member.  You may contact them at the
addresses listed at the bottom of this mail.

The following hardworking people are also part of the team that is dedicated
to see GESO UK on the move:

Susan Rowe
Ebrima Jatta
Mamseedy Njie
Neneh Faye
Saihou Sanneh
Boboucarr Taal

b.  GESO Gambia.

In our last report, we informed you that we "are in the process of sponsoring
4 students from funds transferred from GESO Denmark and GESO Norway…."  Well,
we met that goal and once again, we are thanking you on behalf of those
students and their families for making their dream of obtaining an education
a reality.

GESO Gambia's members are:

Ancha Bala-Gaye
Bassirou Dodou Drammeh
Rashida Bah

c.  GESO Denmark:

To date, GESO Denmark has transferred all its funds to the GESO Gambia
Account.  Denmark's members are:

Momodou Camara.
Asbjorn Nordam
Kibily  Jadama
Matar M. Jeng
Momodou Sidibeh
Yusupha Jatta
Momodou B. Gassama
Alieu Bah

d.  GESO  Norway:

To date, GESO Norway has transferred all its funds to the GESO Gambia
Account.  Norway's members are:

A. Kabir Njie
Abdou Oujimai Gibba
Ba Musa Ceesay
Famara A. Sanyang
Saikou Samateh (Saiks)
Musa Njie
Omar Drammeh

e.  GESO North America (U.S.A):

In our last report, we reported that "we are in the process of opening a bank
account in this Zone.  We will keep you informed once we establish an
account…."  Well, We have since opened that account.  Also, and GESO USA just
last week, wired $700.00 to GESO Gambia.  This money will be used to register
GESO as an NGO in The Gambia.  America's members are:

Jabou Joh
Dr Madiba Saidy
M.B.Krubally
Dr. Abdoulaye Saine
Francis Njie
Sarian Loum
Mineratou Loum
Malanding S.Jaiteh
Michael B.B.J.Gomez
Moe S.Jallow
Musa S.Jeng
Anna Secka
Mambuna Bojang
Abdou Touray
Musa Sowe
Buba Bojang
Sailey Sey
Anthony Loum
Awa Sey

3.  PLANS FOR 2000/2001:

a.  Establish Executive Committees:

Our goal for this period is to nominate members to the Executive Committee
and an Advisory Committee.  GESO members with a "voting" status shall
determine membership to both Committees.

b.  Opening a GESO Chapter in Canada:

We are appealing for Gambia-Lers in Canada to please help us set up a GESO
Chapter in Canada. If anyone is interested, please contact members of the
Transition Team for details.

c.  Fundraising:

Two members from the GESO USA Team (M.B. Krubally and Michael B.B.J.Gomez)
have volunteered to head our fundraising team in the US.  One of their
suggestions is to prepare a Gambian Recipes cookbook, and sell the
publications at Gambian gathering, etc.  WE WELCOME YOUR CONTRIBUTION TO THIS
VENTURE.  PLEASE FORWARD ALL YOUR recipes to me at [log in to unmask], and I'll
forward them to the Fundraising Team.  The Team is also brainstorming about
ways of selling material
at Gambian gathering (T-shirts, hats, etc.)

4.  SUMMARY:

The Transition Team is diligently working on achieving GESO's goals, as
outlined in our Mission Statement.

We hope you will join our team by becoming a member of GESO.

IF YOU NEED MORE INFORMATION ABOUT GESO; WOULD LIKE TO MAKE A DONATION OR
BECOME A MEMBER, PLEASE CONTACT ONE OF THE FOLLOWING GESO ZONE COORDINATORS
IN YOUR GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION:

GESO UK:
Ebrima Ceesay
34 Nineveh Road
Birmingham
B21 0TU
ENGLAND
E-Mail Address: [log in to unmask]
Or
Ndey Jobarteh
59 Citizen House
Hornsey Road
London, N7 7NE
UNITED KINGDOM
E-mail Address: [log in to unmask]
GESO NORTH AMERICA:
Jabou Joh
557 Holt Valley Road,
Nashville, Tennessee, 37221
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
E-mail Address:[log in to unmask]
GESO-USA Account:
Account Number: 100-264-7473
ABA Routing No: 064-0000-17
Bank Name: First American National Bank,
4315 Harding Road
Nashville, Tennessee, 37205
GESO DENMARK:
Momodou Camara
Charlotte Muncksvej 20.3th
DK-2400 Copenhagen NV
DENMARK
E-mail Address: [log in to unmask]
GESO-Denmark Account
Reg.nr. 1199 Account Nr. 1-673-2109
BG Bank A/S
DK-0800 Hoje Taastrup
DENMARK
GESO NORWAY:
Amadou Kabir Njie
Lofsrudhogda 13D
N-1281 OSLO
E-mail Address:[log in to unmask]
GESO-Norway ACCOUNT. NR: 0819 2077541. Postbanken
c/o Amadou Kabir Njie
Lofsrudhogda 13 D
1281 Oslo
NORWAY
GESO GAMBIA:
Bassirou Dodou Drammeh & Ancha Bala-Gaye
P.O Box 2152
Serrekunda, The Gambia
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Account NR. 09538 112 103 05069
International Bank for Commerce (Gambia) Limited.
Bakau Branch,
11A Liberation Avenue,
P.O Box 211,
THE GAMBIA

Thank you for taking the time to read our report.

Sincerely,

Awa Sey, Administrative Assistant
(For GESO Transition Team)