GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 03:08:38 PDT
Gambia-L:

Another e-mail from one of my sources in the Gambia. I am sending it
unedited!

Ebrima Ceesay
Birmingham, UK

Hello Ebrima,

I told you before that the "resistance" has commenced within the Civil
Service. Well, Isatou "Coms" Wadda has refused to be forced to go on an
unscheduled leave.

Justice Minister Pap Cheyassin Secka is trying to intimidate the young lady
lawyer, so that he can have access to the proceeds of the sale of
the Old Court House building to finance his divisional Magistrate's court
"project".

The Finance Department and the Office of The President are opposed to the
proposal from the A.G Chambers. Pap Cheyassin's proposal is widely seen as
yet another scheme to syphon off public funds from government coffers. In
fact, just two weeks into his term as Attorney General and Secretary of
State for Justice, he has already bought two coaster Vans on credit from
CFAO.

Now, he (Pap Secka) wants to lay his hands on the proceeds of the Old Court
House which will be resisted by the custodians of those funds. I can
guarantee you, Ebrima, that from now on, these "criminals" will be resisted
all the way.

We are now ready to lay down our lives. Another issue which the dynamic duo
- Cheyassin Secka and Raymond Sock - are trying to revive is the GGC case
which, at the recommendation of the IMF, World Bank and EU, the Government
is now trying to settle out of court.

The two men are trying to take the matter to court charging Alimenta of
(alleged) money laundering which will only spell disaster. The donors are
opposed to this approach because the government doesn't have a leg to stand
on.

How can government defend the occupation of private property of GGC by armed
thugs like Baba Jobe? The Government will lose if ever the case is taken to
court.

Despite the newly started "resistance" from the seasoned civil servants, the
two men are proceeding nonetheless.

THE STRUGGLE CONTINUES to borrow sister Ndey's battle cry.